The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

F-22 Raptor wows Farnborough

shortliner

Amazing. Difficult to ascertain what was happening in some of the close-ups but I assume at one point the 'plane was vertical but descending slowly?

Who was the pilot, I wonder?

Best, Pete.

Amazing. Difficult to ascertain what was happening in some of the close-ups but I assume at one point the 'plane was vertical but descending slowly?

Who was the pilot, I wonder?

Best, Pete.

Hi,

Pete, the pilot was almost certainly Major Dave 'Zeke' Skalicky, who is the current F/A-22A 'Raptor' solo display pilot. What I think you saw was the aircraft climbing, then stalling and falling backwards because of the force of friction on the aircraft, it can't keep acclerating, so it's stalls. The only aircraft that can't stall (I believe) is the F-16 'Fighting Falcon'

I was at RIAT 2010 and saw, plus filmed, the display by him, which was magnificant!

post-7271-0-35217200-1304714828_thumb.jpg

post-7271-0-74583300-1304714937_thumb.jpg

post-7271-0-91712000-1304715024_thumb.jpg

post-7271-0-06550100-1304715142_thumb.jpg

Looks like a good tool - I wonder if this plane will prove to be the swansong of manned strike aircraft?

The short answer is no, Russia already has the 360o Thrust-vectoring Su-35, which is much more agile than the F-22, and it is developing the Pak-50, which is a stealth version of the Su-35. China is developing a J-50 Stealth fighter and Lockheed Martin is now in the final stages of flight tests for the F-35A/B/C

European countries are still developing the 4th Generation Jet fighters, but I think that it won't be long before Europe starts to develop a / several 5th Generation Fighters

We still have along way to go before we see the swansong of the manned strike aircraft I think

Simon

The only aircraft that can't stall (I believe) is the F-16 'Fighting Falcon'

Actually all aircraft, including the F16, will stall at some point. Stall characteristics may differ between aircraft and maybe outside the cleared flight envelope, but they all have a "stall" point.

Actually all aircraft, including the F16, will stall at some point. Stall characteristics may differ between aircraft and maybe outside the cleared flight envelope, but they all have a "stall" point.

Hi,

Oh right fair enough!

Simon

Archived