Turning locomotives at ex steam terminii

Hi.

My 1950/60's layout of Kings Lynn passenger station does not include the turntable.

Would the stations shunter either an 03 or 08 class diesel ever have been turned round? (Perhaps to even out wear on the wheels?)

Were the diesels capable of the same performance going both ways?

If it pulled some wagons to the local sand pits would it have pushed them back if there wasn't a run-round; or would there have always been a run-round?

Any information appreciated.

Thanks,

Jeff Rippon

Guest stuartp

Without a turntable you can still turn using a triangular junction. Healey Mills regularly sent 08s to turn on the Horbury Junction / Crigglestone Junction triangle in the 80s so they were the preferred way round for hump shunting (cab trailing I think, not sure). They also allegedly sent a 31 on one occasion because the hotplate wasn't working in one cab and the driver was threatening to fail the loco if he couldn't keep his brew warm.

Propelling to or from a siding, and even operating unfitted trains without brake vans was permitted "where specially authorised" (by the Regional or Divisional Operating Manager), usually under strict conditions, i.e. limited to 'x' vehicles, speed not to exceed 'y', goods/slow lines only, tail lamp on the rear drawhook etc. The details would be published in the Sectional Appendix.

• RMweb Premium

In most cases they would not have been turned. Diesels were designed to perform equally in both directions I believe.

• RMweb Premium

Diesels were designed to perform equally in both directions I believe.

In theory yes they were, however as others have indicated there may well be very good operational reasons for turning diesel locos regularly. Class 20s for example were usually aranged nose to nose when working in pairs or had the cab end leading if on their own, both of which could involve needing to turn a loco and the previous post about 08s turned to equalise flange wear is another example.

Without a turntable you can still turn using a triangular junction. Healey Mills regularly sent 08s to turn on the Horbury Junction / Crigglestone Junction triangle in the 80s so they were the preferred way round for hump shunting (cab trailing I think, not sure).

The Greenford Branch is regularly used to turn FGW trains based at Old Oak via the eastern chord and I've also seen steam locos using it as a turning triangle between Paddington and Southall (which used to have a turntable but AFAIK doesn't any more. That move involves them using the branch to just beyond South Greenford where there is a crossover and provides me with an occasional unexpected treat.

• RMweb Gold

The Greenford Branch is regularly used to turn FGW trains based at Old Oak via the eastern chord and I've also seen steam locos using it as a turning triangle between Paddington and Southall (which used to have a turntable but AFAIK doesn't any more. That move involves them using the branch to just beyond South Greenford where there is a crossover and provides me with an occasional unexpected treat.

The Greenford branch (colloquially 'round Greenford') was also used to turn Heathrow Express Class 332 units in their early days when uneven wheel flange wear from the curve just beyond Airport Jcn was a very serious problem and turning was needed to extend the life of the wheel sets to 'more than a matter of a few weeks'

Archived