Rear wheel steering ?

Hi,

I've started to scratchbuild a scrapyard crane, the body & chassis loosely based upon my diecast model seen below.

I wish to give the appearance of the steering axle/wheels being slightly turned.

The way my diecast model below is posed, I believe to be normal considering the cab & body can rotate 360 deg', bearing in mind the shovel is at one end of chassis & stabilizers at the other.

There is no indication of a steering axle on the underside of this diecast model :unsure: .

So which axle would steer on these machines ? Could it be 4 wheel steering ?

007-5.jpg

Thanks in advance for replies.

Dave.

Hi,

I've started to scratchbuild a scrapyard crane, the body & chassis loosely based upon my diecast model seen below.

I wish to give the appearance of the steering axle/wheels being slightly turned.

The way my diecast model below is posed, I believe to be normal considering the cab & body can rotate 360 deg', bearing in mind the shovel is at one end of chassis & stabilizers at the other.

There is no indication of a steering axle on the underside of this diecast model :unsure: .

So which axle would steer on these machines ? Could it be 4 wheel steering ?

007-5.jpg

Thanks in advance for replies.

Dave.

I wonder if it's some sort of hydrostatic drive, so that the wheels on either side could be driven in opposite directions, a bit like the 'steering' on a tracked vehicle?

They are weird things to drive!!

Normally the axle nearest the Bulldozer blade is the steering one, but you can get four wheel steer versions.

So if the cab and jib is facing one way on a single steer, it can be front wheel steer, rotate the cab 180 degrees and its rear wheel steer....

I far prefer the 360's on tracks :D

This roadrailer has a similar basis, i **think** this has one steering axle, on the left in this shot - I don't have a shot that clearly shows it turned but that's based on that axle having lots more clearance between the wheels, the frame and other bits and pieces, plus different supporting structures to the other end...

post-6762-0-10923400-1305149100_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Premium

There are photos of the excavator your model is based on on the Volvo website showing that the steering wheels are the ones at the bull-dozer blade end of the chassis.

(just Google Volvo + the model number on the side of your model to find lots of photos)

Happy modelling.

Steven B.

Archived