Oxford Diecast Bedford OWB

Hi

For those interested Model Collector has announced that Oxford Diecast will be making a Bedford OWB Utility in their 'military' range

http://www.modelcollector.co.uk/news/article.asp?a=7980

Presumably the full announcement of the next batch of Oxfords cant be far away

WW

Mmmmmmm. If the OWB casting is up to their best standards, then this will be an offer I could not refuse. Off hand I think Southern National had at least one in the fleet, and it was captured on film at Padstow (Branch Line to Padstow).

Thanks for the news, WW.

PB

Mmmmmmm. If the OWB casting is up to their best standards, then this will be an offer I could not refuse. Off hand I think Southern National had at least one in the fleet, and it was captured on film at Padstow (Branch Line to Padstow).

Thanks for the news, WW.

PB

And British Railways had at least one, on the Western Region.

Merf.

It doesn't say what scale it will be. Their military models are 1/76 but their buses are 1/148.

Phil it says "We can also now reveal that joining the new AEC Matador and Bedford MWD in the planned 1:76 Military range Oxford Diecast announced this January will be a new bus casting: the Bedford OWB"

So I presume its 1/76!

WW

• RMweb Premium

Phil it says "We can also now reveal that joining the new AEC Matador and Bedford MWD in the planned 1:76 Military range Oxford Diecast announced this January will be a new bus casting: the Bedford OWB"

So I presume its 1/76!

WW

Thanks, it seems strange that the big boys (EFE & OOC) had not produced one as there are dozens of livery's they could be made in. Now how about one of the Commer 1 1/2 deckers that were used by the RAF (and several airlines) just after the war.biggrin.giflaugh.gif

Thanks, it seems strange that the big boys (EFE & OOC) had not produced one as there are dozens of livery's they could be made in. Now how about one of the Commer 1 1/2 deckers that were used by the RAF (and several airlines) just after the war.biggrin.giflaugh.gif

And so much for Oxford not producing 1/76 buses, perhaps they can do the RAF/BEA/BOAC Commer Commando?

Thanks, it seems strange that the big boys (EFE & OOC) had not produced one as there are dozens of livery's they could be made in.
I agree, in fact it seems strange these companies have ignored so many big-sales bus bodies. If they havent an old bus kit to show the China companies, maybe they cannot produce a model.

I agree, in fact it seems strange these companies have ignored so many big-sales bus bodies. If they havent an old bus kit to show the China companies, maybe they cannot produce a model.

A bit of a slight on the talents of Oxford's master makers there!

I've been involved with design on the masters for both Corgi and Oxford and neither use a "kit" as the basis. Manufacturers provide as much in the way of CAD data and flat drawings as they dare and the toolmakers will take detail pics from a prototype vehicle. From that, the master is produced to a larger scale, passed around for approval and then using this, a scale master is produced to make the moulds from.

I've never seen a kit which would even form a passable first casting for the more recent models from the likes of these.

Due to their construction with unseasoned timber, many OWBs with their original bodies failed to last much beyond the mid 1950s, though the one illustrated above did, and The East Yorkshire Operator Phillips of Shiptonthorpe also ran some untill the mid-late 1960s: My link. Many saw further sevice as works buses or mobile shops. After the war, they had to have their seating reduced from 32, usually to 28, in order to comply with PSV regulations. They also had wooden slatted seats when new, and many were re-seated with something more comfortable after the war. 3189 OWBs were produced for the home market, onlt 348 of these were for the military.

Oxford have produced 1/76 buses before but they were not particularly accurate representations of Routemasters and AEC Regents (a rehash of the Routemaster with a vertical radiator and bonnet treatment).

The OWB could be a start for a more accurate range of buses ... can we hope??

• RMweb Premium

Most bus types have been covered (and sometimes duplicated) by other manufacturers in 1/76 hence Oxford's decision to go for 1/148. The OWB is one of the few exceptions. I too hope to see some more 1/76 buses and coaches from Oxford, a post war bus bodied OB would be nice.

Many were also re-bodied after the war, some even as coaches. Edinburgh had a fleet of them fitted with Duple coach bodies that looked like post war OB's.

And these re-bodies had a longer life, on the whole, than Utilities, but would have looked nothing like the Oxford product. The point I was trying to make is that use of Utility bodied OWBs by PSV operators declined rapidly in the mid 1950s, and most of the major operators would have sold them on as soon as new heavyweight vehicles became available in the late 1940s-many were exported. In the sixties any survivors would more likely to be works buses/mobile shops or vans.

I hope this link works:

It's those straight cut gears and inlet manifold wheeze that mark out those Bedfords. Strange we should be nostalgic over wooden seats.

For the true aficionado, however, there is much pleasure to be had on Flickr and Youtube. Happy hunting.

PB

• RMweb Premium

I've just looked at the Model Collector article:

www.modelcollector.co.uk/news/article.asp?a=7980

The OWB pictured is a Portsmouth Corporation version painted in WW2 austerity style.

PSV Circle's 1997 booklet "Portsmouth Citybus Ltd (and its predecessors) Pathfinder UK Ltd" states the bus, Duple-bodied CTP 200, fleet no. 170, entered service in May 1944 and was withdrawn in Dec. 1962, still with its original body, it received a replica body made from parts supplied by Ulsterbus between 1986-1993.

Portsmouth received 8 Duple-bodied and two Mulliner-bodied OWBs (nos. 161-170) between Nov. 1942-May 1944, and were withdrawn between Jan. 1960 and Apr. 1963, all still retaining their original bodywork. One (no. 169) survived as a civil defence vehicle until scrapped in 1971.

A bit of a slight on the talents of Oxford's master makers there!

Not at all. I never mentioned Oxford! Corgi and EFE initially raided the bus kit ranges of Anbrico, GS Models, Westward, Cotswold producing diecast variants. I painted the the kit makers display models that were used in publicity and on boxlids in the 1970s and being a bus enthusiast, it was pretty clear to me where the Corgi and EFE got their ideas from.

One bus I am eagerly awaiting is the postwar 4-bay Weymann on AEC Regent III chassis as bought by Rochdale Corporation etc. Westward did it but the pattern maker copied an innacurate drawing unfortunately. Oxford might well find there is a market for major prewar buses such as the Leyland bodied TD5, Northern Counties 'bathtub' body, Charles Roe late 1930s body and so on. They were so much a part of the postwar street scene until the mid 1950s. I did artwork for some of these over ten years ago with a vew to etching some bus kits but in the end only produced the cast radiators in 4mm and 1/50th.

• RMweb Premium

There's a whole lot of untapped potential regarding pre-WW2 buses that aren't covered by kits.

The centre-entrance Roe bodied buses would sell well, Yorkshire Woollen and West Riding ran many of those; after all I live only about two miles from where they were built.

Also English Electric bodied 6-bay vehicles with their V-shaped fronts.

No doubt others can suggest their favourites ...

Also English Electric bodied 6-bay vehicles with their V-shaped fronts.

Pure nostalgia! I did as much riding on these as I could after school in Oldham in the early 1950s. Their sloped back windscreen, 'V' piano front and rear bustle made them appear much older than they really were.

• RMweb Premium

Another pre-war body, also 6-bay was by ECW . Another omission is a decent 3 axle pre war trolleybus. There is even enough variation in the standard London trolleybus to make various types available, most of the differences are in the front dome. Lancashire United also had very similar trolleybuses on Sunbeam chassis.

A few more pics of Pompey's 170, which may come in handy.

post-7009-0-85522800-1305635486_thumb.jpg

post-7009-0-08662300-1305635445_thumb.jpg

post-7009-0-66439100-1305635525_thumb.jpg

post-7009-0-52500600-1305635555_thumb.jpg

IIRC, D.J. Parkins added a neat 1/76th scale etched brass OWB kit to his 'Firing Line' series* some time ago.

http://www.djparkins.com/acatalog/1_76th_Vehicles.html

What beats me though, is why today's main die-casters haven't cottoned on to producing versions of the 'O' series Bedford lorries ?

These were among the best sellers of the Dinky Supertoy range, when I were a lad, in the '50's.

Probably due to the fact that every other lorry on the road seemed to be a Bedford 'O',... of some sort.

*Edited to correct information.

Regards.

. Many saw further sevice as works buses or mobile shops. .

A few were also converted as transporters for motor racing teams. Lotus, for example used one in their early years...

http://www.sptc.spb..../racing/221.htm

(model is in 1/43 by Russian company St Petersburg Tram Collection- they produce very limited edition- sometimes as few as 15-20 of a particular release-1/43 and 1/48 scale bus and tram models- racing transporters are one of their specialities)

...as did the Tourist Trophy Garage in Farnham (Mike Hawthorn's family business), and I've seen pics of others.

Might make an interesting little conversion project when Oxford's model is available...

Archived