N Gauge Beginner's Layout

QRModeller

After reading everyone else's threads about their layouts for some time now, I thought I'd share my experiences so far.

Okay to start off this is really my second layout but it is the first one to be built from scratch. My first layout was one of those OO/HO gauge moulded plastic baseboards with a figure 8 folded back on itself with one siding. Anyway, I was getting a little bored with the first layout as I hadn't been able to really build a layout so it was suggested to me that I build a small N gauge layout that would live either under the bed or current layout. In 2006, a trip to the UK to visit my grandparent's resulted in the purchase of the (then) current PECO catalogue and N Gauge Setrack Planbook, and the Railway Modeller book of N Gauge track plans. My criteria for the new layout was:

-Double track main line

-Goods yard

-Loco depot

And all of this had to fit within a space of around 5ft x 3ft. After hours of reading through the books, I finally decided that plan no. 4 from the PECO planbook was the best option. In hindsight, plan no. 5 might have been the better option as it is exactly the same as plan no. 4 but it has a bracnhline added to it giving more operating potential. A visit to Pecorama and a re-visit to the Mevagissey World of Model Railways (I had been previously in 1998 but couldn't remember any of it!) helped to provide inspiration for the scenery and so Ashworth was born. The layout was to be set in modern times (late 80's/early 90's to present day) but have certain steam age infrastructure and run LNER and GWR stock occasionally due to the involvement of a local preservation society - the joys of modeller's license!!!laugh.gif

Returning home, space was made for the layout under the current OO layout and an N Gauge setrack start set and few extra pieces of track were purchased. However, the baseboard construction was stalled thanks to the start of a new school year. About halfway through 2007, work on the baseboard finally started. The materials used were the usual 45mm x 20mm planed timber for the framework but for the surface, I used a sheet of 3mm ply. I had a rough idea of how the framework was going to be built but my father had other ideas. He had aquired a number of small desks about 400mm x 600mm and said it would be easier to sit the baseboard on one of these. I did tell him that if one of these tables was used, he would have to leave extra clearance for point motors but, once construction started, that was overlooked meaning the tabletop had to be removed and the layout would be sitting on the frame of the old table. I'll be retro-fitting removable legs as soon as possible because the track has already been laid. Moral of that story, plan ahead and don't rush into things! I'm not entirely pleased with the baseboard as an awful amount of noise is transmitted through it when trains are running but this has been my first attempt at constructing a layout. I'm sure future baseboards will have much less noise!

Track laying happened in the usual way. The underlay I had chosen required me to glue it to the underside of the track before it was placed onto the board and nailed in place but I will probably try cork next time as the underlay was too soft which meant in certain areas, the track was not level due to pins being pushed in too far. I suppose the only good thing about having such a thin baseboard surface is that pins that have been pushed in too far are easier to adjust. As there was a a level crossing on the track plan, I decided to use the PECO setrack crossing and extension. As two units are correct double track spacing (at least I think they are!), I laid the completed unit first in the marked space. The rest of the track was then laid following markings on the board. But, when I came to connect the two straights from the station to the level crossing, I found they were slightly misaligned so to borrow an often used quote from Jeremy Clarkson, "That's not gone well!!!" It turned out that some of the rails on the crossing units were shorter than the others which resulted in the fault. A quick re-lay fixed that to some extent as there is still a slight kink where the rails join but no derailments have occured yet. I have started ballasting areas of the track using the 50/50 water and PVA mix but need to finish installing point motors and electro-magnetic uncouplers and purchase more ballast before I can move on to the scenery stage.

The attached photos show progress on the layout so far. The first is an overall shot of the layout with buildings resting in place showing their rough final positions. If you were to drive onto the layout from the edge of the board and cross the tracks, to your immediate right will be a convenience store with two fuel pumps outside. This will occupy about half of the space between the tracks, the road once it has gone around the rather sharp bend and the house. The remaining area will be a park. Behind the station will be a bus and coach stop and a bit of the carpark. The siding in the yard without a structure next to it will be a scratchbuilt modern coal discharge terminal and a silo to store the coal will be placed somewhere near the road.

The second photo gives a more detailed shot of the station and loco depot. The styrofoam strip is roughly the same depth as the PECO platform and being used as a mock platform until another kit is bought. Since this photo was taken, I have removed the PECO inspection pits so the Scalescenes.com ones can be used which resulted in me having to modify the approach to the shed as the Scalescenes kit is a few millimeters deeper than the PECO one. Also, my collection of rollingstock has grown from what can be seen here (minus two Mk. I's which were being repainted) to include Frilsham Manor by Ixion and a Graham Farish 61xx.

post-11907-0-89930800-1305370353_thumb.jpg

post-11907-0-98300900-1305370455_thumb.jpg

Progress on the layout has been slower than I had hoped because of school commitments and it looks like the current pace will continue for a few more years as I started university this year. However, as I do not have to attend uni every day, provided I do not have assignments or study work to do, I should be able to get some more work done on the layout so fingers crossed. So far, the construction of this layout has been a steep (verticle!!) learning curve for me as I'm still learning what works and what doesn't so any comments or ideas are very welcome.

Matt.

Looks like your getting there, Small layout but with plenty of interest. cool.gif

I'm only 14 and attempting to build a 12ft/6ft layout myself and im just about to start laying track after weeks off building and levelling the boards! yes.gif

Well done, looks really good. This is the place to improve your skills- there are some incredibly knowledgeable folk on here.

On the subject of underlay I would ditch it altogether, the foam type often causes dips in the track around the pins and if you don't mind a bit of train rumble it saves money and time for better things. If your baseboards are well built and the track bed flat it makes no difference to running. Keep us posted each time new stuff arrives!

Thanks everyone for the comments. At the moment, it looks like I will be unable to work on Ashworth for another few weeks as uni exams will be beginning very shortly. :sad_mini: At least I can look forward to installing the Scalescenes inspection pits complete with lights once the exams are over. :lol: And yes I will post more pics once they're ready.

I like the fact that you've kept it nice and simple and haven't made the usual beginners mistake of trying to build a multi level layout with every square cm filled with trackwork!

Does it count if your very first layout was made out of moulded plastic which had two levels built into it? :lol:

Well done, looks really good. This is the place to improve your skills- there are some incredibly knowledgeable folk on here.

On the subject of underlay I would ditch it altogether, the foam type often causes dips in the track around the pins and if you don't mind a bit of train rumble it saves money and time for better things. If your baseboards are well built and the track bed flat it makes no difference to running. Keep us posted each time new stuff arrives!

Good point but there's no harm in experimenting while your beginning is there.;)

Matt.

• 4 months later...

Well, after four months of not posting in this topic so I could work on my 2011 challenge diorama, I still managed to not complete it in time. At least I had fun while working on it.

I said somewhere in the first post that I needed to make new legs for the layout as the original ones were at risk of knocking off the point motors. Well, sometime during the last four months, I bodged together (literally) a new set of legs. I say bodged because they were originally going to be used to prop up a cabinet until that was no longer required an I commandeered them. I had to cut two notches on both of the legs so they could slot onto the braces in the baseboard frame but my woodworking skills are shonky so all of the notches are slightly different sizes to each other. However, when the board is placed on the legs, it is somehow still level!

post-11907-0-38721400-1317985085_thumb.jpg

post-11907-0-43529500-1317985022_thumb.jpg

Since moving the layout back home (it was moved to my grandparents place to make the legs as they have a workshop in their garage), I discovered that it is now to tall to fit under my other layout so the previous legs are still going to have to be used when this layout is stored!

In a previous post, I mentioned that I had two Scalescenes inspection pits to install. Well they're not installed yet as I'm waiting to get some more wire to connect up the Black Cat Tech lighting kits before I fix the pits in-place. In the meantime, here are two photos of the pits.

post-11907-0-40342500-1317985143_thumb.jpg

post-11907-0-41187000-1317984961_thumb.jpg

Once they are fixed in position, the lights have been wired up and I have made the hard standing, I should be able to post a few more photos showing the lights.

Lastly, last year I started a small shunting plank in N to practice scenic work on. I don't have photos of it yet but it is pretty much the same as the Westwood Sidings layout in the Hornby Book of Model Railways. I didn't think that it needed a topic of its' own so I'm going to use this one as a dumping ground for anything I do with that too. Currently, it looks the same as Ashworth (bare baseboard) but no track has been laid yet because I need more electro-magnetic uncouplers. Also there is the fact that I need to get track for it in the first place!

Well, that's about it from me for now. Feel free to comment, your feedback is most welcome.

Matt.

Guest oldlugger

Excellent work Matt. Looking forward to seeing more scenic work which will really bring the layout to life.

Cheers

Simon

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone.

Just a couple of photos from yesterdays running session with a bit of a GWR theme.

Frilsham Manor waits at for the all clear on Platform 1 while 94xx Pannier Tank 9409 simmers outside the shed. Also, two suspiciously modern wagons sit in the multi-purpose siding/Platform 3.

post-11907-0-76298000-1321272817_thumb.jpg

Prarie Tank 6116 pulls out of the goods shed siding with another suspicious wagon while two coal wagons wait to be collected.

post-11907-0-99865100-1321272879_thumb.jpg

About five minutes after the shot of Frilsham was taken, she jumped the tracks and plunged to the ground!! :O :o

Matt.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone.

Not an actual update but as it seems to be 'the thing' for Aussie railway modellers to post an image or two that show a spider/lizard/other critter on their layout or wherever it happens to be, so here's mine.

post-11907-0-79219400-1322912528_thumb.jpg

This was (it's since been Morteined) a female huntsman spider. Its' legspan was the same length as the combined width of the two combi controllers just to the left of shot. Gave me a shock considering I had just leaned on the wall right above where it was sitting (or should that be standing?) to put the cover on my OO roundy-roundy and I hadn't noticed it until I'd finished!!!

It's not the biggest huntsman I've seen though. Arachnophobiacs should probably stop reading now! Back in 2001 when I was in year 4, there was one on our music room wall with a legspan of 40cm, and I am not kidding! Some fool was brave stupid enough to (carefully!) hold a 1m long ruler next to it without disturbing it and that image has stayed in my mind ever since. Mind you, I would much rather a huntsman anyday over what P.C.M had. They can kill ya!

http://www.rmweb.co..../page__st__1243 scroll to the last post.

Well, I hope I haven't given anyone nightmares now! Layout wise, I really can't tell you when the next proper update will be but keep your eyes open. Thanks for looking.

Matt.

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone.

Back in post 8, I mentioned that I had started a shunting plank. Well, here it is:

post-11907-0-71973700-1327578770_thumb.jpg

post-11907-0-87531100-1327578831_thumb.jpg

post-11907-0-13483600-1327578853_thumb.jpg

During the past few days I have been laying the track shown in the pics. The track itself is a mix of second-hand sections of Code 55 flexi and Code 80 setrack (2x ST-11's and 2x ST 6's) however I need to get a new length of Code 55 flexi to finish the trackwork. Today, I wired the track which is a milestone for me, as this is now the furtherest I've ever got with a layout that I've built by myself. The pics show the first official train running with the wiring for the track now completed.

Basically, the layout is two parallel lengths of track connected by a lefthand crossover and is supposed to represent a small yard that will eventually serve a fuel depot (coal and oil fuel for heating the local community), a parcels depot (Pickfords), a warehouse that distributes fruit/vege/perishables to local grocers/supermarkets, a drinks warehouse that receives drinks ingredients and a bakery that receives flour and dispatches bread.

Looking at the pics, where it is currently single track, that is the headshunt for the yard. Of the two sidings, the one that runs directly on from the headshunt will have the drinks warehouse and bakery, while the one behind it is the fiddle yard which will be hidden by the these two 'industries'.

Hopefully, when I go and get the track, I'll also be able to get a pack of Dapol's new uncoupling magnets and couplers. Whether I get them or not, I'll eventually be putting magnets at the single track ends of the points (sorry, forgot what its called) and then playing testing the track thoroughly before ballasting and moving on with the rest of the scenery.

All of the recent work (especially the wiring) has also got me thinking about Ashworth. I've done up this wiring diagram to show how it will be wired if I continue on as is:

post-11907-0-69438800-1327581827.png

There are no electrical breaks at all and I don't have a third controller yet. Depending on when I get it, the yard will be wired to the inner loop controller and an on/on switch will determine whether the loop or the yard is controlled. I'm pretty sure I need electrical breaks but I don't know where they need to go.

Comments are most welcome, thanks for looking.

Matt.

Can't help with the DC wiring, put a question in the DC forum?

With the Dapol system you have delayed action so you can put the magnet well away from the toe of the point which will make operation much easier. Thorough "testing" is the best bit!

I see you have similar problems to me with the Scalescenes building. I just took 3 of these out because they looked too big next to all my vehicles. I am sure you have printed it all out right and I really like their stuff, but I still think the warehouse is too big. Mine looked better with OO cars!

Hi devondynosoar.

I'd have to disagree here, I don't think the warehouse looks that bad, but that's my opinion. To me, the height of the door and window of the office look about right when compared to the van. Perhaps the two loading doors might look more 'normal' if one of the larger trucks that are available is placed alongside?

Matt.

I agree about the door height, it was the loading doors I didn't like. As one of my sheds was going to be a car garage it would have looked odd. I thought I had just made an error in printing! I also don't have a truck yet. It's still a brilliant model for free and I would use it again.

Did the wired sections of track all work?

I suppose if one of them was to be a garage, a larger-than-normal door might look slightly bizarre!

R.e. track, yes I'm pleased to report that what I have stuck down works! :yahoo: The J94 does slow down over the points but that's probably because it's an old(ish) model with a short wheelbase and the points are peco insulfrog setrack.

Matt.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I went the model shop today to get the last length of track for the shunting plank and possibly a set of Dapol's new uncoupling system. I didn't get my hopes too much up r.e. couplers and magnets which is just as well because when I asked about them, the shop owners hadn't even heard of them! I'm not complaining because I can understand why, the shop is only a small family run business. Their customer service is first rate though, as they said they would look into them, so maybe in a few weeks I'll have a set. Sorry, starting to go off topic!

So, the track is now complete which means once I do have a set of couplers and magnets, I can start testing/fault finding/playing. The new section works (which is a relief!) and I have spent most of the afternoon shuffling wagons from siding to siding (using a toothpick as a shunters pole!).

This pic shows roughly where the fuel and parcels depots will be. The lone coal wagon would be in the undercover fuel depot while the van is obvoiusly infront of the parcels depot.

post-11907-0-60883000-1328620958_thumb.jpg

With this pic, I've tried to copy the track level 'trainspotter' pics but haven't quite pulled it off!

post-11907-0-88565600-1328621000_thumb.jpg

I'm going to make a promise to myself now, and you can all hold me to it! Once this plank is finished, I'm going to attempt this photo again but I'll take it under better circumstances (like outside in natural light for one! :rolleyes: ).

That's about it for now. Progress on both of these projects will probably quieten down now as I've got uni starting in just over two weeks. Thanks for looking, comments are very welcome. :yes:

Matt.

Hi devondynosoar

I have been looking through various wellknown UK websites but have decided to wait for a few of months for a couple of reasons. First one is I have uni starting in a couple of weeks, so getting them now is likely to distract me while I settle back into uni life. Secondly, the major Brisbane show is coming up at the beginning of May so someone is bound to stock the system by then, and it gives me a bit longer to raise funds to get what I need. Also, waiting until May means I won't have as long to wait to work on the layout, as my holidays are in June, compared to getting them now and then waiting a lot longer.

As I'm going to be using the Dapol system, I'll need a new loco that has nem pockets so I can operate the layout (what a great excuse to buy more stock! :P ). I know my ixion manor has nem pockets, but it doesn't like the setrack points so I'm looking at getting either a new farish 03, preferrably in BR Green with wasp stripes, or an 04 in BR Blue with wasp stripes. Also looking at getting a few new wagons that have nem pockets to act as converter wagons until I build up more stock and Dapol bring out the conversion kits/non-nem couplers.

Matt.

Archived