Weathering RTR 16t's

Rusty 16t mineral wagons

Having read through Martyn Welch's description on weathering, it would seem that you need to start from square one and paint the body in red oxide then overlay with patches of Markol before a complete respray in grey before removing the latex to reveal the rust - OK, it's the reveal method.

But how do you obtain similar results from RTR Bachmann 16t mineral wagons, is it possible?

Thank you

DesA

• RMweb Premium

I haven't read the book, but that sounds like moderate to heavy rust. If that's what you want to do, I'm sure the Bachmann wagons will take a rust shade. I don't have any of the mineral wagons, but I've successfully applied a different shade of 'bauxite' to their SR ply vans, as well as weathering, using enamels. Primer should adhere better than enamel, so I guess you can do the full works on RTR wagons.

But, if you are modelling any time before the last days of unfitted wagons, some will only need light weathering. In the 50s and perhaps the early 60s you might even find some wagons without much, if any, rust. So, for some of them [ maybe 10% as a finger-in-the-air number ] just a light weathering . But equally, a whole train all heavily rusted won't look wrong.

If that's the method you want to use, why not try it on one wagon first ?

ĸen

Archived