Airbrushing

Hello everyone.

I used the search facilities to find any previous topics about this but after about 5 pages I could not find any topics about this so I decided to start a new one.

I am considering entering the world of airbrushing and was wondering if anyone had any hints or tips that might be useful for a beginner like me? I don't have a huge budget (is £50 too low?) so my first thought was to buy one of the kits with a can of compressed air. Are these any good?

I need the airbrush for a fair amount of work (if it works well that is!), it is mostly rolling stock that I need it for (n gauge so not huge amount of surface to do). Are there brands to buy that are better than others? My father in law has an airbrush from a magazine offer but I am not sure if one airbrush is as good as the next really?

Do they go through a lot of paint?

Any help would be gratefully received.

Stephen

No it isn't your ineptness. It is the strange ways of the Search function. You can use Google to do it but I am sure someone else would be able to explain that far better than I could. :rolleyes:

Pedro Morgan has produced an intro to airbrushing which you will find on Model Rail Forum. No disrespect to RMweb, I (like many others) subscribe to a number of on-line sites and find useful info, contacts etc on them all - all have different slants on the hobby.

Jim

Hi, I think the best way to start in airbrushing is just go for it, I did and haven't turned back. To start with weather some old wagons to build your confidence, get the feel of your airbrush, paint thinning and air pressures. Oh and most important of all ENJOY!

I've got one of these set-upsairbrush set-up also an trigger airbrush for ease of use, once set up and pull the trigger.

NIGEL

To directly answer the OP in order to steer him/her to better pastures.

£50 is too low. At least double it.

Air cans are not very good for a variety of reasons, neither are other air reservoirs like tyres. Use a compressor.

Air brushes that come for free are mainly venturi effect and are very difficult to adjust and use without poor results. That is why they are free.

For a lot of work and consistent results, buy a compressor and a twin action airbrush. There are deals available around £100 both on E Bay and elsewhere. If you go professional you will need to spend more than that.

Paint and the thinning of (essential for airbrushing ) is a matter of experiment. The consensus is that the consistency of semi skimmed milk is about right.

Remember that airbrushing puts paint particles into suspension in the air and not all of it lands on and sticks to the model. Wear breathing masks , keep pets away and/or use a spray booth ( about £80 from Eileens Emporium on this site ). Don't be tempted to spray outside to avoid this.

For myself I bought a compressor for £120 and a brush from Conrad in Germany for £25 ( at the time, more now because of the Euro rate ). I use acrylics and thin with de-ionised water from the local motor spares place.

Plenty of people spray enamels and use the appropriate thinners. Definitely use breathing masks for this latter.

To directly answer the OP in order to steer him/her to better pastures.

£50 is too low. At least double it.

Air cans are not very good for a variety of reasons, neither are other air reservoirs like tyres. Use a compressor.

Air brushes that come for free are mainly venturi effect and are very difficult to adjust and use without poor results. That is why they are free.

For a lot of work and consistent results, buy a compressor and a twin action airbrush. There are deals available around £100 both on E Bay and elsewhere. If you go professional you will need to spend more than that.

Paint and the thinning of (essential for airbrushing ) is a matter of experiment. The consensus is that the consistency of semi skimmed milk is about right.

Remember that airbrushing puts paint particles into suspension in the air and not all of it lands on and sticks to the model. Wear breathing masks , keep pets away and/or use a spray booth ( about £80 from Eileens Emporium on this site ). Don't be tempted to spray outside to avoid this.

For myself I bought a compressor for £120 and a brush from Conrad in Germany for £25 ( at the time, more now because of the Euro rate ). I use acrylics and thin with de-ionised water from the local motor spares place.

Plenty of people spray enamels and use the appropriate thinners. Definitely use breathing masks for this latter.

Thanks for the advice. It is appreciated. I will have a look at my budget and what I can afford!

Archived