Hornby Railroad 9F - motor assembly?

S.A.C Martin

Hi Chaps - I was wondering if anyone had one of the latest Railroad 9fs and could tell/show me what the chassis/motor assembly is like? Such as is the motor powering the front, or rear driving wheels, and what exactly is under the boiler?

Thanks in advance, and apologies for the twenty questions - embarking on a new project and using a Hornby 9F might be a shortcut of sorts.

Just to emphasize - no, I'm not building a standard mikado! :lol: I'll leave that to the much more talented Mr Redgate, thank you :)

Don't think the service sheets for the Railroad 9F are on actually on the Hornby site ( yet ) - only shows the earlier tender drive example.

Pretty sure motor is at the back of the wheelset, still has the gap under the body...

Have a couple actually, but still boxed - will check and post my findings...

• 10 months later...

Been looking at Hattons latest mailing list and they have a Hornby 9F for £56 which is described as in their Railroad range so hopefully this is the right area to ask the following:

The Hornby 9F is listed as:

R2785 Class 9F 2-10-0 92220 "Evening Star" loco & tender in BR green - Railroad range (Loco Drive) £56.00

A Bachmann 9F in the Hattons list is:

32-850A Class 9F standard 2-10-0 92220 'Evening Star' in BR Green with late crest and BR1G tender £114.00

I mailed an enquiry to Hattons and got this reply:

"The R3072M is part of the Hornby Legends series, which is made to full specification, so it is not of the Railroad quality at all".

So with no wish to doubt/disbelieve or question the integrity of the Hattons reply:

Are the loco's similar types?

What is/was the Hornby Legends series?

Is general is there much inferior quality in the Hornby Railroad as against their full priced range?

I am in Ireland but often visit Hattons for purchases so have dealt with them for years and never any problems there, also I have no connection other than as a customer.

Martin

SAC Martin,

The drive comes down through the firebox fully concealed and onto the 4th axle. Very neat, and I was much surprised that Bachmann didn't use this pretty obvious option for theirs; having done it myself motorising the older Hornby push along, and at that copying from kit builds...

Martin,

I think you are safe to assume that any Hornby 9F is made from the same basic tooling as a normal Railroad item. Hornby's marketing will stick all sorts of extra labels on product in order to attract interest, in the way of 'collections', editions, and more. Words as they say are cheap ... All that said this Railroad 9F while less detailed than the best of their main range isn't made to a lower materials or assembly quality standard, and the motor and drive line are among the best they offer in steam outline models.

Martin

Just to add to this debate about R3072M, I purchased one the othe day for £58 from a well known shop in Hereford and I have to say I was a pleasantly surprised to find the model is lined out to a higher standard and comes complete with etched name plates.

The Hornby 9f may be old but it lends itself to minor tweeks that produces a good looking locomotive that captures the character of the prototype very well.

Richard

Just to confirm that the Railroad 9f is SUPERB value for money, I fitted decoders for a friend to a couple some time back, I was surprised how well they performed, very smooth slow running achievable,

Both locos are still performing well!

Archived