RMweb

3 way points

rafregt1

hi this is tom can some one help me with a problem that i have , i am converting my layout to dcc and everything so far is working well, but i am having a problem with my 3 way points.which i have just put in today i have wired them up as per the instructions which came with them,but when i tested the loco over them today ,i had a problem when i sent the loco down the middle point no problem ,but whenever i put the point either left or right to send the loco down either route with the blade touching the side it would trip the elite controller can you help

• RMweb Gold

This is an analogue DC answer so I don't know if it applies to DCC but probably does as surely you still need to keep the + confined to one rail and the - to the other.

Fault I've had myself in past with a DC common return system and most likely a short caused by the V ending up trying to take both polarities at once as soon as the point blade makes contact. My guess is you have a cross connection somewhere, perhaps a distance away from the point, giving the cross feed. Again I know this is a standard DC answer but if all else fails add isolating gaps on all the exit roads.

This is an analogue DC answer so I don't know if it applies to DCC but probably does as surely you still need to keep the + confined to one rail and the - to the other.

Fault I've had myself in past with a DC common return system and most likely a short caused by the V ending up trying to take both polarities at once as soon as the point blade makes contact. My guess is you have a cross connection somewhere, perhaps a distance away from the point, giving the cross feed. Again I know this is a standard DC answer but if all else fails add isolating gaps on all the exit roads.

many thanks for help will try this and hope this does the trick

The wires from the frogs to the frog switches have probably been crossed over.

hi this is tom many thanks for answer, when you say frog switches do you mean the PL13 switches that i have attached to the bottom of the peco points,if so i will check that they are wired correct

Yes. If you have left the wires long enough you can probably just swap the switches over to the opposite motors and turn them round with having to do any soldering, otherwise you will have to resolder all the wires.

Archived