Bringing Topics into the Group's Forum

• RMweb Premium

Can I have group members' feedback on bringing existing general forum topics directly relevant to the S&DJR into this Group's forum? Obviously I would not want to do this without the topic originator's permission, so it may take a while.

Also, I'll be investigating the possibility of bringing in the posts from the old separate S&DJR Forum, but as the software is different I'm not holding my breath

I agree with CK, go for it! However, I think you'll need to be quite careful choosing whether to import a thread or just link to it as some may overlap several groups' interests. For example, JZ and I have had a couple of threads on push-pull coaches, largely motivated by those used on the Wells branch. The content of these probably makes them equally appropriate to Larry's LMS Coaches group, so it might be better just to provide a link for examples like these. On the other hand, Duncan (Blandford1969) started this thread specifically to post some photos and help me with my build of 58047. Although it does stray into the push-pull coach territory, this thread is more specifically S&D.

Are you able to lock threads within the group? If so, it might be best to have a locked topic with the same name as the original thread and a single post containing a link to that thread. That would make the topic accessible to the group whilst ensuring that any further discussion was not lost to those who arrived at it in its original location. The 7F thread would be an obvious example where this might be the best approach.

Presumably, threads have unique ids, so moving a thread won't break any thinks to it in other threads.

Nick

ps. what about the Cheese Store?

Presumably, threads have unique ids, so moving a thread won't break any thinks to it in other threads.

That's correct, a topic retains the same ID but its location changes.

There are different options:

1. Move a topic from its original location to the Group

2. Move a topic from its original location to the Group and leave a link in its original location to its new location.

3. Create a separate topic to link to topics in their original location.

I have to move the topics and just need to know the url and whether a link needs to be left at its source.

• RMweb Premium

That's correct, a topic retains the same ID but its location changes.

There are different options:

1. Move a topic from its original location to the Group

2. Move a topic from its original location to the Group and leave a link in its original location to its new location.

3. Create a separate topic to link to topics in their original location.

I have to move the topics and just need to know the url and whether a link needs to be left at its source.

Andy, have you any ideas about the feasibility of grabbing the old S&DJR Forum threads and importing them into here? I'm not sure if IPB can import phpBB material.

I was trying to think the process of this through and although I could convert the phpBB format to IPB but I'm still struggling to see if I could merge two sets of IPB databases. Will carry on looking though.

Archived