Waterslide Decals for Wagons

I’m currently weathering half a dozen Bachmann unfitted 16 tonners (having first read Martyn Welch’s book and, more particularly, Ian Fleming’s superb beginner’s guide… as I am indeed a beginner!). I’ve trialled a few basic mixes and washes for the undersides and insides (matt enamels) and am now ready to tackle the sides and ends… but… I really don’t want the wagons to have identical numbers.

I’ve already bought what I think are some ‘appropriate’ waterslide decals (sheet 4601 from Modelmaster) but I’m a bit a hazy about when and how best to apply them. As to when, presumably that’s BEFORE I start weathering???... and as to how, I’m wondering whether I should be making use of the softening and setting solutions available, as well as how best to prepare the surface of the model and also protect the decal once it’s safely ‘on board’.

One thing I’ve noticed that could be a problem is that the size of the ‘numeral panels’ on the decals I’ve bought don’t match those on the models (slightly shorter and longer) so presumably I can’t simply apply them on top.

To say the least, I’m in a bit of a quandary as to how best to proceed!!!... and would really welcome and appreciate any advice from those with the experience of ‘weathering this storm’!!… as I’m pretty sure many have done so! Even 'partial' advice on any of the aspects I've mentioned would be most gratefully received... as I appreciate there are quite a few!

Very best wishes

PMP said " I did an article a while ago and I've just added it to a blog if thats of any help"

I'll say it is!!!!!!! What a great article you've produced there.... with all the info I need! Thanks too for the link to Cambridge Custom Transfers. I reckon I'll soon be another satisfied customer!

One little query.... Do you think a piece of the Cambridge black decal (cut to size) would hide the original numbering, or should I remove that first using my glass fibre pen?

Thanks again PMP. Can't say how grateful I am... well actually I just did!!

I’ve already bought what I think are some ‘appropriate’ waterslide decals (sheet 4601 from Modelmaster) but I’m a bit a hazy about when and how best to apply them. As to when, presumably that’s BEFORE I start weathering???... and as to how, I’m wondering whether I should be making use of the softening and setting solutions available, as well as how best to prepare the surface of the model and also protect the decal once it’s safely ‘on board’.

I would definitely do the bulk of your weathering before applying transfers - at one time I used to apply them first, but it's too easy to overly gunk them up even if you're an experienced hand. Once they're on, you can always go back to them with a very light wash to tone them down.

I always apply a setting solution, without fail. Sometimes I apply a light spot coat of thinned matt varnish over the transfers as well; that's not something I've always done, but it will provide a bit of additional protection against excess weathering

Thanks to you both for your 'personal tuition'. I feel well and truly honoured !

Having ordered the transfers today (including BL7), I'll be off to get some setting solution tomorrow, now I know it's a worthwhile treatment.

...and maybe, even, I'll dare post the results when I've 'finished'!

Archived