Camera Reviews @ DP Review

invercloy

This isn't intended to replace the 'for those about to buy a new camera' thread from the old forum, but this site got linked to really often.

If you're thinking of buying a camera it's well worth checking out as it has supremely detailed reviews of cameras with sample images and videos where possible and comparisons with similar products.

No connection with the site other than as a happy user :D

Although part of Amazon, DP reviews appears to give fair reviews, when compared to say Steve's Digicams etc.

Most of these reviews are technical rather than opinions, so the main area that might be suspect is the final conclusion, but both of these sites back up the conclusion with relatively standardised photo samples, especially with the Steve's Digicams, where he tries to use the same subjects for comparisons.

Both DP Review and Steve's Digicams have extensive back catologued lists, and looking up S/hand offerings is quite easy, no review often means an obscure model!!

Whilst researching S/Hand I read through the reviews for the same items many times and they all agree, a pretty good indication that the standard is reasonably fair.

Stephen.

Phil Askey gets my vote! :icon_thumbsup2:

He wasn't always connected with Amazon and I seriously doubt he'd prostitute his reputation by slanting his reviews. I trust Andy over here; I trust Phil over there...

Even if you are buying an older second hand model, look your potential purchase up, his commentary and comparisons are excellent.

• 2 weeks later...

DP Review is alright for getting ideas on what will suit you but on several occasions they have got it wrong where they slam a camera for poor perfonace etc. when in fact it was because they had set up the camera wrong.

Plus, nothing beats getting hold of various cameras and physically choosing one yourself. So +1 for experiementing yourself.

Tom N.

• 3 weeks later...

Indeed, there's NO substitute for actually trying out the camera... totally agreed.

There is an inherent danger with reading too many online reviews, and too many forum opinions. You can end up with your brain in overload, spending too much time deliberating over what are effectively very small minus points - there's no such thing as a perfect camera, it's down to what you genuinely need (which means: don't buy that Fuji 3d gimmick!)

So limit to a couple of sites - there's a lot of so-called reviews which amount to only previews or, worse still, advertising.

Generally, despite the odd misgiving, dpreview is a first port of call, followed by, in my opinion feel free to challenge(!), Imaging Resource (ignore the dollar pricing, check out this page: http://www.imaging-resource.com/WB/WB.HTM ) I don't like I-R's test shots however - since they often take pics of a poster. Shame they continue that idea...

It's also worth Googling "Problems with...... then name/type of camera)to see if that particular make and model has some fault.

Recently bought my son an certain make/model of camera which had received excellent reviews everywhere. After a couple of months (and less than 1,000 pictures) the zoom started to play up, making a horrid noise like the gears weren't meshing correctly. Took it back to the shop to be told that it'd probably been dropped (no) or had sand in it (no again). They'd send it away but I'd probably have to pay for repair which might be more than the cost of the camera. Not impressed by their service....

Anyway, back home went to Google and found that a number of other people had exactly the same problem. Armed with this info I returned to another branch of the shop where I received much better service; namely a replacement from a different batch.

It's also worth Googling "Problems with...... then name/type of camera)to see if that particular make and model has some fault.

Recently bought my son an certain make/model of camera which had received excellent reviews everywhere. After a couple of months (and less than 1,000 pictures) the zoom started to play up, making a horrid noise like the gears weren't meshing correctly. Took it back to the shop to be told that it'd probably been dropped (no) or had sand in it (no again). They'd send it away but I'd probably have to pay for repair which might be more than the cost of the camera. Not impressed by their service....

Anyway, back home went to Google and found that a number of other people had exactly the same problem. Armed with this info I returned to another branch of the shop where I received much better service; namely a replacement from a different batch.

You simply should not have this problem it is under Guarantee from the shop, and for at least a year, if not more under EC regulations for domestic goods, which seem to suggest about 36 months at the moment.

Same as with Models. the Quality control on some makes is very poor, especially with newcomer makes to digital cameras, stick to known Photographic makes if possible, maybe the one exception is Panasonic, who bought in the capacity to make the cameras themselves from bankrupt makers.

Sony have a good back-up, but they are not camera makers as such, again buying in expertise. The Hi-Fi makers have given the camera makers a thrashing for several years, but the traditional makers like Olympus are fighting back with true photo enthusiast gear like the Pen series.

These are expensive as are Nikon, but when were they ever cheap? pay more you get more, true for cameras and lens. The best is still Leica who have realise a simpler rangefinder is still the way to go on the full frame M9....at a price, but you can put proper Leica M series lenses on it and they work.... but got several thousand in your pocket?

It amuses my that Olympus took 15 years to realise that they had an old design that was perfect for digital in the Pen camera, look at the rubbish they tried desperately to sell against the cheaper makes till recently.

There is a quiet move back to simpler designs and compatibility with real lenses, not the short focal length junk and poor zooms that have been foisted off on photographers over the recent years.

I was told of by an owner of a Digital SLR , he stated that the modern zoom lenses were sharper than all previous lens, after all they had aspheric surfaces, and multi coating, so I checking the LPM factor on his,..... about 2/3 rds of a 1970 Olympus lens, and that's being kind.....

The reason a lot of the lens for film appear bad is the modern bodies are not carefully adjusted for the focal plane, it is not a plaane flat surface like film , CCD's have depth, and older lenses focus short of correct if you are not careful.

It may need the attention of a competent camera mechanic to adjust the lenses, or just use smaller stops in the meantime to get the sharpness the older lens can deliver.

I do know a bit about lenses. I worked making them for scientific uses till recently. Don't fall for the claims modern designs are better, they are simply not, most 1940's lens would see off modern lenses.

I can't afford the M9, so it looks like a Pen, with an OM adaptor correctly re-set, and Nikon and Leica adaptor as well to fit the camera. The Pen can take almost any lens via adaptors, and looks the best sub full frame bet around at the moment. I have a selection of older lenses and I am dying to try a Kern 50mm macro on the Pen, with an adjustable home produced adaptor made to fit.

post-6750-12582956091978_thumb.jpg

?© Olympus UK Pen EP-2 Camera with viewfinder.

Now that's the sort of combination that should deliver, the best ever standard lens on a decent CCD system...if only I could afford the Leica M9!!!

Stephen.

I was one of the 69ers on DPreview forum (we used a particular Fuji camera) when I was studying digital after years of using film. In fact I was online when curious messages started appearing from USA members while the Twin Towers was happening...... Eerie. I don't think the DPreview reviews can be bettered, although at one time it seemed to favour all things Sony. Even a cheapo cost over ??500 then.

• 3 weeks later...

Yes, I've used DPReview as well. Its good. Also www.cameras.co.uk in Britain, one of my favourites and very useful, easy to read. Its also a good idea to search out user reviews by ordinary camera users. Are they happy with their choice or not and why? The everyday users (not just the professionals and the enthusiasts) can teach a lot even though they are no experts. They'll also be very direct for good or bad on customer service, extended warranty, suppliers and manufacturers. Good back up can be just as important as a good camera.

Steve.

If you want unbiased reviews from users of your equipment of choice then I can recommend www.talkphotography.co.uk as an interesting forum with lots of useful content! :icon_thumbsup2:

It amuses my that Olympus took 15 years to realise that they had an old design that was perfect for digital in the Pen camera, look at the rubbish they tried desperately to sell against the cheaper makes till recently.

That's why I'm moving from an Olympus to a Nikon or Canon for my next DSLR. My E500 has been ok, but that's it, sadly it's performance in low light it's appalling compared to the offerings of the 'big two'.

I've just come across this site: www.digitalversus.com. Based in France but in English and prices quoted in UK currency. One very useful feature is that you can select two cameras side by side and directly compare photos of a studio scene; overall, flash on / off, macro, poor light, etc. It's interesting, that little bit different, but very useful.

Steve.

• 2 weeks later...

Now that's the sort of combination that should deliver, the best ever standard lens on a decent CCD system...if only I could afford the Leica M9!!!

Stephen.

I feel your pain brother. Have even considered an M8.2 (and use it in B&W)- the bodies are selling for around 2k now 2nd hand, since the M9. But it just feels so hard to justify the saving effort...

Archived