Vi Trains 37/7 Mainline triple grey would it make a 37/5?

Hi

Is the basic body shape etc on a Vi Trains 37/7 the same as a 37/5. As my limited knowledge understands it they were the same prototype but with more weight added?

Also I have read that when you remove transfers from a vi trains model you remove the paint as well. Would I be able to patch paint the body or will I have to get the full sides resprayed. If it can be patched what colours would I use for the triple grey scheme.

This is the model I am referring to http://www.ehattons.....aspx?SID=26171

Thanks I know this is probably 2 topics. But any help appreciated

Guy

I think the 37/7's had one of the bodyside windows removed. Depends whether that sort of thing bothers you or not (I can live with it).

I tried to remove the nameplates off a 37429 with little success. However, I did touch it in with railmatch colours (rail grey for lower and flint grey for upper). With a coat of matt varnish it looked quite reasonable.

37/7's had the central bodyside window removed on each side as the additional weight obscurred them. Other thing to check are the nose end grilles, by the time the 37/7's were going through works the supply of original grilles was drying up so new ones were made without the central dividing bar. No 2 locos appeared to be the same so dependant on how fussed you are you will need to check photos carefully.

• RMweb Premium

Don't Bachmann have a triple grey 37/5 coming out any time now? It's a lot easier to remove their tampo printing (Modelstrip, one hour or so) and the shape is much better.

If you insist on removing the transfers from a Vitrains model, use 1500-grade sandpaper and go very slowly and without hope....

Don't Bachmann have a triple grey 37/5 coming out any time now? It's a lot easier to remove their tampo printing (Modelstrip, one hour or so) and the shape is much better.

Yeap. Bachmann 32-386 Class 37/5 37514 Railfreight Metals Sector due out in November:

large-32-386.jpg

Notice the extra window that Vitrains 37709 rightly does not have in the middle of the side.

Hi thanks for the replies.

I have the Bachmann loco (it's going to be 37513 on release not 514 as shown on adverts) on order. I was going to renumber it to 37511 (Stockton Haulage) . But then I saw the price of Vi trains (arguably inferior) 37/7 and thought at that price I could buy it and renumber it for a lot less than the inital cost of the Bachmann offering.

But I think making a neat job of cutting the window out and glazing it might be a bit to much for me at the moment.

Guy

Hi Guy, I have asked the same question under the Vi forum, at Hattons price you have to buy it, I am looking at keeping 37709 as the number but going back to Trainload Petroleum livery based at Ripple Lane. We will have to remove the Mainline logo, I made a bit of a mess on Glo Cymru the other night whilst removing the name with the wifes nail varnish remover so today I have ordered Railmatch paints ready for 709 to be patched back up when it goes wrong...

If all goes well I also will look at geting another and putting it to a 37 in trainload Metals, have a look on the class 37 group, just search class 37 on google there you can look at the fleet history with pics and g through all the 37/7's until you find you want to model, im sure if i remember there was a Trainload metals one at one point..

Good luck and keep me updated with the progress.

Leon

Cracking Idea Leon. To be honest it doesn't have to be in metals. Just one that has visited the North East. I would guess there must of been at least 1 that went to Jarrow or somewhere regularly.

Guy

Yes i bought a pair of these. Ive renumbered 1 as 37707 in petroleum with the full numbers to the front ends with snowploughs and the other will be teeside steelmaster. At that price its well worth it. I never liked the front windows of the vitrains loco as i didnt feel it captured the 37 correctly. However i have removed the glazing and individually cut each pane from thin clear plasticard and fitted flush with a a coat of thinned gloss varnish. They look a different machine with the glazing flush and no prysm effect. Ill post sone pics when ive done.

Cav

Hi Cav. Thanks for the reply. You seem to be a bit of a bargain basement vitrains fan! I loved the work you did on the Vi 47. I would appreciate it if you posted the work on your 37s on your Workbench thread.

Do you paint in acrylics cav? if so what would you use to touch in a Vi 37 triple grey where the transfers have been rubbed off a little to enthusiasticly! Or would you paint the lot?

Teesside Steelmaster, good choice. I fancy doing 37511 with its distinctive large numbers

Cheers

Guy

I always use enamels tbh. Vitrains is a bit of a pig to get decals off. The paint comes off all to easy. I ended up taking the flint grey off with the decals. The rail grey was ok though as i was prepared for it after doing the 47. I didnt do a full repaint just partially resprayed the flint grey area. Of course the paint was a rubbish match so a mixed some up as close as i could with flint grey and rail grey. Its pretty good and any real difference will be weathered in in any case. The tesside steelmaster loco will be the 37/7 version as later in life but having spent time working at teeside steelworks previously in life i wanted it as a tip of the hat.

Cav

Archived