Static Grass Applicators - Size of mesh?

kipford

• RMweb Gold

Ok ladies and gents

The time has come to make a static grass applicator (That noch one is hideously overpriced). My only concern is does the size of mesh in the 'Tea strainer' have a significant effect? I bought a 34p one from Tesco today but have a concern the mesh is too fine to allow coverage? What does RMweb world think :(

Dave

I bought the Noch unit. It wasn't that expensive in North America. I paid about sixty quid over here...

The unit came with two screens. One has a diamond mesh with 3.5 mm spacing; the screen material's diameter is quite fine. The other has a rectangular mesh with 4 mm spacing; the screen material is much heavier.

I've been using the former screen with fibers that range from 2mm to about 8mm in length. Your wrist action shaking the fibers out is probably as important as mesh size, you just don't want clumps falling out...

I used a Tesco seive with a Maplins flyswatter its fairly fine,the Tesco tea strainer is only a bit finer...

I found the seive to be too big and awkard. Unfortunatly the damn Maplins fly swatter burnt out for some reason, Have'nt seen one since winter arrived :(

• 4 weeks later...

The guy who had the Green Scene booth at Wigan makes or has made to order a nice looking applicator for ??35 which he demonstrated. It works fine, the sifter looked like a flour sifter probably 4 or 5 inches across. He doesn't have it listed in his catalogue. www.green-scene.co.uk email greenscenes@btopenworld.com

Edward

• 1 year later...

I have just made an applicator from a Pound World Flyswat and a conical tea strainer. Works a treat, need to work out how to use finer brass nail in scenery to prevent having to disguise a hole.

I am impressed with what it does and also the crack and flash if I get the strainer too close to the PVA or the alligator clip. (should persuade other persons not to muck around with the layout)

Am using various shades of Woodland Scenics static flock, but need to find something longer.

Archived