A prototype for everything

Several of our group have posted layout photos recently, featuring traucks and loading. I saw this on Train Orders.com this morning, and PM'd Rob Leachman asking his permission to repost on here, which he has very kindly given. The only change made to his post is a slight reduction in size to fit RMweb parameters Note that Graffiti isn't limited to Trains!

This is his caption

A July, 1994 westbound UP Passenger Special gingerly threads between produce delivery trucks on Third Street in Oakland. Believe it or not, we are looking at a double track main line. It was a frequent occurrence for trains to stop and wait for double-parked delivery trucks to be manned and moved to the other side of the street. In 1996 the ex-WP street trackage was abandoned in favor of operations over SP on First Street.

[post-6688-0-97605800-1306251418_thumb.jpg

Yes that is a great shot , lots of detail.

Actually graffitti improves the ubiqitous white truck/van. Oakland the west coast Bronx - actually I'd choose to live in the Bronx anyday.......

Best, Pete.

They don't stay still long enough to be "tagged" in the UK... :lol:

I didn't see the vans... just guess what in the middle of the picture... :yahoo: :pleasantry: :drinks:

Now, now - don't get too excited. It's an E-unit (E9A), not an F.

Now, now - don't get too excited. It's an E-unit (E9A), not an F.

Yeah, I realise that... funny how I'm not so into E units as F units... well not into them at all, truth be told - I know nothing about them, possibly because I have very little interest in passenger working (either US or UK) and the emphasis in the US is very much towards the freight side of things anyway...

Yeah, I realise that... funny how I'm not so into E units as F units... well not into them at all, truth be told - I know nothing about them, possibly because I have very little interest in passenger working (either US or UK) and the emphasis in the US is very much towards the freight side of things anyway...

Did somebody say E units on freight? yahoo.gifE units on freight wasn't common, but it was done by some railroads. Here's two photos I have:

post-751-0-41079700-1306454831_thumb.jpg

Three Seaboard Air Line E7As and a pair of E4 or E7B units lead train TT23 around the curve at Boylan in Raleigh NC in Sept 1961.

post-751-0-14366400-1306454934_thumb.jpg

Seaboard E8 #3051 and an E4 or E7B are also on TT23 at Millbrook, NC in November 1962. And it's obviously moving at a pretty good clip. I knew a couple of old Seaboard men who told me TT23 would regularly hit 100 mph in places...TT23 was the Seaboard's hottest southbound piggyback train and often drew multiple E units for speed...common on the Seaboard for many years. The Erie Lackawanna also used E units on freight, actually regearing some for that service.

Archived