Lawley Street Website.

Jez

Okay guys, really would like your feedback on this one - I've taken the plunge and started to design a website. This is following on from the idea of documenting a step by step guide to building a model rail-road. I am certainly no expert at designing or building layouts, but I would like to share some of my methods, techniques and experiences.

Please be kind - I am a complete novice to web design and the pages are just samples until I am up and running and a little more experienced in this sort of thing. The site will improve over time. So over to your comments - good or bad!

LawleyStreet.com

Why Lawley Street you may ask - Just think Freightliner Birmingham.

Jez

I like it Jez. I like it because you have not gone over the top on the design. It is quite plain but in a classy way.

I'd be happy with it.

Are you going to put in an "Operations" chapter? It probably needs it.

All the best, Pete.

Looks good to me - keep it simple is my motto (which I consistently fail to abide by!)

I have added to my favourites already. When you get round to it please explain the absolute basics - never assume we know how you did it! Only comment on the design is that the photos are distorted until you click on them - this could put off the casual visitor.

Hi Jez,

This site looks great, very easy on the eye.:rolleyes:

I'm sure we can all learn a lot and hopefully will encourage others to take the plunge and have a go!

Have you finalised the track plan?

cheers,

Mal

ps I just noticed you solder feeds to fishplates, I use the same system - it's neat

Thanks for the comments so far guys. Still lots to do and I can see this little project taking up a lot of time.

An operations chapter will be added - good idea Pete.

Track plan to follow Jonte - not quite sure how to post one - it may be a photo of something I have drawn up.

Not sure about the distorted pictures Phil - is anyone else having this problem? I may have to mess about with the settings - seems to be ok on my screen.

Like I say, still lots to do including adding more chapters, progress pictures and sorting out some decent shots of Harrington. So keep checking back often and if you know of anyone who may be interested, point them in the direction of LawleyStreet.

Jez

Thanks for the comments so far guys. Still lots to do and I can see this little project taking up a lot of time.

An operations chapter will be added - good idea Pete.

Track plan to follow Jonte - not quite sure how to post one - it may be a photo of something I have drawn up.

Not sure about the distorted pictures Phil - is anyone else having this problem? I may have to mess about with the settings - seems to be ok on my screen.

Like I say, still lots to do including adding more chapters, progress pictures and sorting out some decent shots of Harrington. So keep checking back often and if you know of anyone who may be interested, point them in the direction of LawleyStreet.

Jez

Dear Jez,

Just had a look, I am indeed seeing the "distorted pic' issue.

Suggest checking the size of the image you have posted, as it's width is simply too wide for the "frame" that you are loading the text into.

(the example I first hit was the "Lawley Street - Trackwork" page/frame contents).

When a user clicks on the pic to get the "full sized" image,

it does not load inside the constraints of a "frame", and thus appears to display correctly

(IE will load any sized image, and automatically resize it to fit within a single screen).

Im not sure what app you are using to create the content, but I'd start looking for the controls which dictate how an embedded image is handled with the limits of the "frame", this will hold the key to how/why the images are being squzzed...

BTW, If you are going to do the "clickable thumbnail --> full sized image" thing,

then respectfully there really is no reason to have the oversized (currently being squashed by the frame) image on the initial page. try resizing it down.

(suggest starting at 640 x 480 or smaller, 640 x 480 is often considered a big image in web terms!)

For reference, my config is

- WinXP 32bit SP3

- IE 8.0.6

- Screen Size : 1440 x 900

Hope This Helps...

Happy Modelling,

Aim to Improve,

Prof Klyzlr

Thanks for the info Prof - I'm using Word Press and I've been messing around all afternoon with it. I have resized some of the images on the Harrington page to 640 x 480 and the bottom 2 even smaller - can someone please advise me if this is a little better - thanks.

Jez

Very impressed. Have immediately added it to my favourites. Glad to see Harrington featured as well. Saw that layout for the first time at a recent exhibition and had quite a long chat with you. Can't recall which venue it was, but Chris Gilbert was just around the corner with Haston. I particularly like the uncluttered quality. both of the website and the layouts themselves. look forward to developments.

regards

Steve

Thanks Steve - met you at the Nottingham Exhibition. If you can make it to Derby next year, Harrington will be there.

Jez

That's the one! Can't remember the exhibitions I attend these days. I shall certainly try and get to Derby. I usually go when there are a few US layouts.

Regards

Steve

Updated again this evening - I've made a start on the Track-work chapter - the Basics.

Thanks for looking - let me know what you think - your comments much appreciated.

Jez

Hi Jez,

A great start with Trackwork basics and good pics to illustrate.

Like you, I prefer to solder feeds to fishplates wherever possible. As you point out, fishplates can become loose with use

during the planning stage. Once I have finalised the trackwork, I remove the original fishplates and replace them with new

ones which are tighter and proceed with soldering. Works great and looks neat.

Now you've laid some track, I'm desperate to see the trackplan!:rolleyes:

cheers,

Mal

• 4 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

Its been a long time coming, but the Lawley Street Website has at last been updated. Areas updated are on the introduction page and a direct link to 2012 TVNAM has been added.

Enjoy.

Jez

New page added - 'Motive Power and Rolling Stock' to the Lawley Street website.

Thanks for viewing the website so far - statistics look good. Hope everyone is enjoying what they see.

Jez.

Looks great Jez,

Those Pelle Soeberg weathered cars must have seriously damaged your bank balance!

Could you remind me, did you use Walthers 'Magic Pan Bakeries' kit on Harrington, seen on the pic with the SP car?

Mal

Thanks Mal.

Yes, Harrington Industrial Plastics is a kit-bashed Magic Pan Bakeries kit.

The Pelle Soeborg cars retail at aprox £50 each - available from Model Junction. Its best to pre-order as they sell out fast, as I found out much to my disappointment. :sad_mini2:

Jez

Thanks Jez,

I bought the Magic Pan Bakeries kit recently, because it looked like it would be versatile and useful for a modern era Industrial Park.

I'll probably use it on my next layout. Looks great on Harrington.

Mal

Archived