A 2mm loco service point

StuartM

While I'm waiting for the ballast to set/dry I thought I'd upload this photo as I think it shows the depot from quite an interesting angle.

For the record I will never find ballasting therapeutic

post-10866-0-42248400-1314014892_thumb.jpg

Well the ballasting is done, and also painted and weathered, so I took some photos but ended up with quite a few I was pleased with, so instead of adding all 8 final photos to one blog I thought I'd space them over several.

Looking at some of these one could imagine that 15 years has past, rationalisation has taken place and what was once a service depot has been reduced to just a stabling point with the removal of the shed and associated buildings.

The one thing I do like about this layout is all the different angles there are to look through which makes for a more interesting photo

I hope you like

Rgds,

Stuart

post-10866-0-43081700-1314043195_thumb.jpg

post-10866-0-62345300-1314043205_thumb.jpg

post-10866-0-16090500-1314043245_thumb.jpg

My last post declared that I had finished the ballasting and then proceeded to post 3 photos that had nothing to do with ballast, derrr!, so here are three more photos this time showing the completed ballasting, still minus the depot

post-10866-0-79393700-1314124941_thumb.jpg

post-10866-0-33407300-1314124967_thumb.jpg

post-10866-0-48628200-1314125051_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Premium

Wow! That last picture of the whole layout is brilliant. Thank goodness you went with the tracks and not a canal. The ballasting looks great by the way!

Perhaps when this is all up and running you could upload a small video showing how the control panel works the trains in the depot - I'm dying to see this in action.

Regards

Mike

Wow! That last picture of the whole layout is brilliant. Thank goodness you went with the tracks and not a canal. The ballasting looks great by the way!

Perhaps when this is all up and running you could upload a small video showing how the control panel works the trains in the depot - I'm dying to see this in action.

Regards

Mike

Thanks Mike,

Yes I agree, track looks better than canal, it would look even better with another two lines so it became a 4 track line into a major station or terminus just beyond the bridge, but maybe that's something for after the competition.

Could you explain your request for a video a bit more, do you mean you want to see loco's moving about the depot now it's all but finished or do you mean you want to see a video explaining how the electrickery works ? either way that might be difficult because the only video making facility I have is on a point and shoot compact camera which I used to make the short video on page two of this blog, so the quality wouldn't be all that good.

Also confession time, the only 2mm loco I have is the class 24 which I converted to prove that the track works, all the other locos are still ngauge, I've just placed them on the rails for photographic purposes. I've only been a member of the 2mm association for less than a year and all that time has been spent making track and entering this competition so there has been little time or inclination to do any conversions, again that will come in time and perhaps might be my next learning curve.

Anyway I'm glad your enjoying the journey as they say

Rgds,

Stuart

Some more photos of the completed ballasting plus some additional weathering to the track with gloss black to represent oil/diesel spill. The more I see the depot without the building the more I like it.

post-10866-0-22612200-1314199796_thumb.jpg

post-10866-0-49249000-1314199900_thumb.jpg

post-10866-0-16959800-1314199930_thumb.jpg

post-10866-0-70255100-1314199944_thumb.jpg

Well the ballasting is done, and also painted and weathered, so I took some photos but ended up with quite a few I was pleased with, so instead of adding all 8 final photos to one blog I thought I'd space them over several.

Looking at some of these one could imagine that 15 years has past, rationalisation has taken place and what was once a service depot has been reduced to just a stabling point with the removal of the shed and associated buildings.

The one thing I do like about this layout is all the different angles there are to look through which makes for a more interesting photo

I hope you like

Rgds,

Stuart

I love the 3rd photo of li'll tractor .. the depth of field belies it's actual size. .. awesome.

Dave.

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Mike,

Yes I agree, track looks better than canal, it would look even better with another two lines so it became a 4 track line into a major station or terminus just beyond the bridge, but maybe that's something for after the competition.

Could you explain your request for a video a bit more, do you mean you want to see loco's moving about the depot now it's all but finished or do you mean you want to see a video explaining how the electrickery works ? either way that might be difficult because the only video making facility I have is on a point and shoot compact camera which I used to make the short video on page two of this blog, so the quality wouldn't be all that good.

Also confession time, the only 2mm loco I have is the class 24 which I converted to prove that the track works, all the other locos are still ngauge, I've just placed them on the rails for photographic purposes. I've only been a member of the 2mm association for less than a year and all that time has been spent making track and entering this competition so there has been little time or inclination to do any conversions, again that will come in time and perhaps might be my next learning curve.

Anyway I'm glad your enjoying the journey as they say

Rgds,

Stuart

Hi Stuart

Both if possible - it would be worthwhile doing a separate and more in-depth blog about the electrics alone - from track wiring to how you made the computer control thingy. I think this is an area that's both new (to us oldens) and highly interesting. I'm getting fairly good at understanding analogue, but wouldn't have a clue about your type of control circuit and want to know more.

Cheers

Mike

• RMweb Premium

Stuart

Further to the last entry - sorry didn't pick up the vid on page 2 till just (derrr!) - fascinated by how it works - yes I'd like to see more now that the scenics have been done - don't worry about quality of video either. Also blog and video explanation of how you made computer control system.

Think the shed is just great - don't omit it - kind of makes sense of the diorama having it in.

Mike

Have you been playing with the tilt-shift image generator on the photos at the top of this page?

Looks good! The trackwork is excellent, some of the photos do look like OO gauge!

Ste

I wouldn't know what a "tilt-shift image generator" is if it smacked me in the face and neither does wikipedia

The photo was taken with a Pentax dslr mounted on a tripod with a 70-210 telephoto lens . The camera was set to aperture priory at somewhere around f8 (I think). The trick is to set the tripod up some way away from the subject and then zoom in to 210mm, this forces the perspective and blurs the foreground nicely while making the subject stand out amongst the blurred surroundings.

Ahh, right, it's a online thing that basically gives the same sort of effect, but you can choose which part of the photo to blur etc.

http://tiltshiftmaker.com/

I've seen the effect before but I think it really only works for bigger subjects, still cool though, thanks for the link, I might be out about with the camera this weekend now instead of modelling

Cheers,

Stuart

The signal relay cabinets and protection rail are now done, along with some cabling running down the wall to hide the join in the brick sheets, I've also tried to represent a lid being left off the concrete troughing, works for me but you can be the judge if it works for you.

The signal is another reprieve from the bits box, when I started teaching myself how to make signals in ngauge, this was one of the early examples, not brilliant but to good to throw away.

I'm almost done now, just the signing on building to finish and then some attention to small details

Rgds,

Stuart

post-10866-0-84271300-1314305866_thumb.jpg

post-10866-0-17468200-1314305963_thumb.jpg

post-10866-0-34866700-1314306022_thumb.jpg

post-10866-0-40541600-1314306148_thumb.jpg

post-10866-0-81760800-1314306271_thumb.jpg

If you do get out, put the results on here! :)

As requested, unfortunately the nearest railway is across the water, still the next time I'm on the mainland I'm off to London to take some photos of mainline termini because I think the results will be rather fun.

Thanks for the heads-up on this Ste234, but for now I suppose I'd better get back to some real model making

post-10866-0-86406400-1314366228_thumb.jpg

Hey Stuart.

Is that photo of the harbour one of those photoshopped images that makes them look like a model?

Missy :)

Missy, scroll back up through the posts for the answer, not photo-shopped, tilt-shifted

what happens when someone needs the lifeboat?....... they launch a fast moving boat from the lifeboat station and wizz out to the lifeboat, ann boy can that thing move!

Archived