A 2mm loco service point

StuartM

good luck with the servos, what are you going to use to control them ?

I hope that helps and good luck with the ngauge model, I hope to see it in the journal one day

Hi Stuart,

I found loads of options for controlling servos, e.g., the MERG Servo4, but have decided to go for the Octopus II from the creators of the Tam Valley Railroad. I looked at some DCC-enabled controllers/circuits but my layout is small and I really want to do a control panel. Also, some have commented that point switching via a DCC controller is too fiddly and time-consuming. For a 10-point shunting layout I decided it would probably drive me batty.

Price was a controlling factor. The Octopus II is USD $32.00 + $13.25 P&P or about GBP £27.50. I've already got most of the wire, switches and LEDs. I ordered 12x SG90 micro-servos from eBay for £23.97 (4x @ £7.99) with free P&P! As two pairs of points will operate in unison I only need 8 channels so the Octopus II is perfect. All-in-all I estimate the total cost will be about £60, which is not much more than buying 10 Seep PM-1 motors.

Only time will tell if this was the right decision! I'm into R/C cars so feel more confident with servos. BTW, my layout blog is Harpers Road.

Regards,

Peter

320706841075.jpg

4 x SG90 9G Micro Mini Servos + Horns / Arms UK New

Buy It Now price: £7.99bin_15x54.gif

End time: 28-Aug-11 10:14:45 BST

Hi Peter,

Not sure if this would work so well with my points and the way they're switched, but for off the shelf points the Octopus II looks like a neat way of doing things if you don't want to go down the road of making your own circuit or writing your own code.

I like the way it finds the limit of travel in each direction.

Good luck with that

Rgds,

Stuart

...making your own circuit or writing your own code...

Neither are technically a problem but I fear a PIC programmer would be yet another frivolous expense! I'll write a report on the blog during construction. I'm sure a review of the Octopus II and the SG90 servos will be useful to many people.

Neither are technically a problem but I fear a PIC programmer would be yet another frivolous expense! I'll write a report on the blog during construction. I'm sure a review of the Octopus II and the SG90 servos will be useful to many people.

If you don't mind a short learning curve I highly recommend these pics http://www.rev-ed.co.uk/picaxe/

they come preloaded with a bootstrap code which then allows you to program them from your pc/laptop using a "basic" type code. rev-ed supply the complier and all the software you'll need free, plus there are three massive manuals which can be downloaded for free and are invaluable. and then there is the forum http://www.picaxeforum.co.uk/forum.php which is brilliant because if you don't know there is someone out there who does.

The only expense is a the download lead and the chips themselves

I can't recommend rev-ed highly enough.

Rgds,

Stuart

I've finished painting the retaining walls, the structure is now complete with the exception of the coping stones but I can't start on them until my order of plasticard from Squires turns up.

I've decided to take bncPetes and kris's advice and use the 2mm association Easitrac sleepers on the lower track, but again,I can't do any more until the order arrives. So this now gives me the time to finish off the signing on building

post-10866-0-33087700-1313613805_thumb.jpg

post-10866-0-63553100-1313613833_thumb.jpg

The sheen on the surface of the lower level almost looks like a river - maybe a fall-back position in case the Easitrak doesn't turn up in time?

Looking great anyway - very atmospheric in the dim light.

Far too tidy though - where is all the clutter, graffiti, old prams thrown over the walls etc etc? Plenty of scope to keep you busy until everything arrives :sungum:

The sheen on the surface of the lower level almost looks like a river - maybe a fall-back position in case the Easitrak doesn't turn up in time?

Looking great anyway - very atmospheric in the dim light.

Far too tidy though - where is all the clutter, graffiti, old prams thrown over the walls etc etc? Plenty of scope to keep you busy until everything arrives :sungum:

There's an idea turn the trackbed into a canal, mmmm I might give that some thought, it would be a lot easier and would add another dimension, but then again it would place the depot somewhere "up north" so limiting the type of traction.

And I agree the whole thing is looking far to ###### and span but then it is new and I was going to save the scuzzing up part when everything else in place

What makes you think all canals are up north? Every heard of the Royal Military Canal, the Regents Canal or the Rolle Canal, for example? They are only up north if you live in Cornwall.

Come to think of it, the Bude Canal is in Cornwall :no:

... and Birmingham has more canals than Venice :stinker:

I was only teasing about messing the place up - I am sure you will do whatever is necessary in your own time :sungum:

Weekday, I live in the Scilly Isles, everywhere is "up north" to me, or east to be more exact, or in local parley "up country"

I'm going to finish everything first and then try and add all those details, although to be honest I'm getting a bit bored now and am looking forward to the next project.

Pete,

Be sure to send me the link to your blog when its up and running

For now I'm just sitting here waiting for the postman :sungum:

Weekday, I live in the Scilly Isles, everywhere is "up north" to me, or east to be more exact, or in local parley "up country"

I'm going to finish everything first and then try and add all those details, although to be honest I'm getting a bit bored now and am looking forward to the next project.

Stuart,

Weekdays in the Scilly Isles sounds very nice - at least at this time of year!

In truth, we would all be very boring if we weren't itching to get on with the next project - and I've given up a few layouts long before they got to the stage of your little gem, for that very reason.

I guess there comes a critical point where everything looks more or less presentable and the work involved in bringing it up to full completion seems disproportionate to the extra pleasure it will give - or, like me, you realise you could have done things so much better and scrap the lot before anyone can stop you.

Fortunately, Liverpool Lime Street has not reached that stage yet - I am still enjoying the challenge and most days I really can't wait to do the next bit.

I do hope you continue with your loco servicing point - even if you have a great new idea in mind, more experience and experimentation in weathering and detailing will be invaluable in future projects!

I've given up a few layouts long before they got to the stage of your little gem, for that very reason.

I guess there comes a critical point where everything looks more or less presentable and the work involved in bringing it up to full completion seems disproportionate to the extra pleasure it will give - or, like me, you realise you could have done things so much better and scrap the lot before anyone can stop you.

I'm glad its not just me then, I confess to being a serial builder, still you wouldn't expect an artist to just paint one picture would you.

It's the last 10% that's the hardest

Onwards and upward, the ultimate layout is always going to be the next one

• RMweb Premium

Hi Stuart

This is really coming together now. I'd stick with the rails if I were you. Just think of all that motive power activity - 'less is more' is not always the way to go. I love the girder beams and retaining wall - really skillful work.

Every modeler thinks about that next perfect layout - I've got a couple of micro's that are unfinished myself simply because I got bored - it's a kind of hurdle we got to jump in order to finish. That's why this competition is a great idea - just think of all those half finished projects that languish in the corners of every modelers loft! (what a pity). It would be a shame if you don't finish this one and don't forget that others are getting pleasure and inspiration from watching it come together too - I certainly am.

Regards

Mike

Hi Stuart

This is really coming together now. I'd stick with the rails if I were you. I love the girder beams and retaining wall - really skilful work.

It would be a shame if you don't finish this one and don't forget that others are getting pleasure and inspiration from watching it come together too - I certainly am.

Regards

Mike

Those are such nice comments, thanks.

I've never done a blog before and because of my location model in isolation, so I'm finding all the support and encouragement on here a real inspiration in it's self. God bless the www :locomotive:

Hopefully Mr postman will arrive tomorrow with the bits 'n pieces that I need to continue or I'll have to start on the windows for the signing on point/mess room/office building

• RMweb Gold
I live in the Scilly Isles

I didn't realise you were west of me - in fact you're even west of Penlan ! - and I can see why you rely so much on the post for your parts.

Only ever been to the Islands once (well, St Mary's on a day trip), some 20-odd years ago, not jealous at all...

Stu

I didn't realise you were west of me - in fact you're even west of Penlan ! - and I can see why you rely so much on the post for your parts.

Only ever been to the Islands once (well, St Mary's on a day trip), some 20-odd years ago, not jealous at all...

Stu

Anyone west of me is going to have wet feet or a star spangled banner

Mr Postman delivered the bits I've been waiting for this afternoon and I set about using the 2mm associations Easitrack system to construct the two straight lengths of track for the lower level. This took about half an hour and left me feeling very impressed and grateful to the members of the association who created this gem of a track system.

And now for some more ballasting :O

post-10866-0-48010600-1313863989_thumb.jpg

post-10866-0-39741200-1313864005_thumb.jpg

post-10866-0-68254700-1313864031_thumb.jpg

It suddenly occurred to me that some of you who don't model in 2mm might be interested to see the difference between 2mm scale track and ngauge track, so I've posted a couple of photos below of three short lengths of track which from left to right are.....

2mm finescale track made with code 40 rail......

ngauge track made with peco code 55 rail........

ngauge track made with peco code 80 rail

As you can see there is a considerable difference in realism,

which is why I joined the 2mm scale association

post-10866-0-84443100-1313871175_thumb.jpg

post-10866-0-54084800-1313871233_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Premium

Hi Stuart

That's looking cool. Please hurry up with the ballast and show us some pics with the trains on.

The difference in 2mm scale track is amazing - the heights seem even more pronounced in your scale than when comparing 4mm stuff. I use code 100 simply because I bought a big box of it when I started back modeling a couple of years ago and it's a devil to get track posted over to where I live in Southern Ireland. However, the more I see of other models the more I want to start using code 75 at the very least. I'll need a hell of a lot more experience before I can even contemplate P4 or EM.

By the way, I know exactly what you mean about being in isolation and I agree, the internet is an absolute life line. Seems you don't have much to do now before the deadline now.

Good luck

Mike

Hi Stuart

That's looking cool. Please hurry up with the ballast and show us some pics with the trains on.

The difference in 2mm scale track is amazing - the heights seem even more pronounced in your scale than when comparing 4mm stuff. I use code 100 simply because I bought a big box of it when I started back modeling a couple of years ago and it's a devil to get track posted over to where I live in Southern Ireland. However, the more I see of other models the more I want to start using code 75 at the very least. I'll need a hell of a lot more experience before I can even contemplate P4 or EM.

By the way, I know exactly what you mean about being in isolation and I agree, the internet is an absolute life line. Seems you don't have much to do now before the deadline now.

Good luck

Mike

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the encouragement.

I would conversely encourage you to go get some finescale 00 rail and have ago, it might take you several months before your happy with your turnouts or whatever but you will get there, it's only when things go wrong that we tend to learn so look upon every failed turnout consigned to the bin as one step closer to being able to build finescale track. Also you chaps working in the larger scales are well catered for, I've never used either of these but they seem to do most things that you would need http://www.finescale...emart&Itemid=51 or this lot http://www.scalefour.org/ to get started, go on you know you want to.

As to the almost done statement, I wish :no: , there is still loads to do, all those little details that add to the illusion, I could list them but I have to go back to work on Monday.

One such detail is shown in the photos below,before I immerse myself in the hateful task that is ballasting I thought I'd better add the cabling tray for the signal I'm going to fit after the ballasting :O

The relay cabs are from the Hornby Lyddel end range and the safety fence was quickly knocked up from 0.5mm brass rod. The next thing to do is score and paint plasticard before the ballasting goes down

post-10866-0-20991300-1313878392_thumb.jpg

post-10866-0-91340900-1313878464_thumb.jpg

post-10866-0-48484800-1313878547_thumb.jpg

I joined the 2mmscale association about 6 months ago because I wanted to learn how to make my own track and the photos below show my first real attempt at some serious trackwork.

Although this piece of trackwork is "ok" it's not as good as I'd have liked, so I consigned it to the bits box while I started on the mkII.

When this competition was announced I thought I'd retrieve it and use it for the diorama plus it would give me the opportunity to wire it up in order to see how I was going to wire the mkII.

I strongly believe that if you want to make something, you need to make it twice, the first time to see how it should be done and the second time to actually make it.

Now it's in place I can build the remaining track around it.

Really awesome track building. I build my own track in 4mm I couldn't match this. Fantastic.

Really awesome track building. I build my own track in 4mm I couldn't match this. Fantastic.

Thanks Mullie,

I'm sure you could if you tried, you just need to take your time. The sissor slip turnout took around a month to complete and each part was made many times before i was happy with it and even then it ended up in the bits box so give it ago sometime you might surprise yourself.

Today I scored the covers on the cable trunking/troughing and then stuck all the bits together and along with the fence rail they are photographed just before going to the paint shop.

Tonight I have been mainly ballasting and swearing :angry:

Have I mentioned that I hate ballasting

post-10866-0-07305300-1313959894_thumb.jpg

post-10866-0-98943100-1313959955_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

You only hate ballasting because your young Stu. Wait till you get to my age then you'll start to find it very theraputic!!

I dunno Mike....I'm 45...and I am still waiting for it to become theraputic ;)

Nice work Stu...Although the idea of the canal was an interesting one, I do like the two lower lines now they are in place...one could imagine an express zipping thru' whilst the locos are arranging themselves quietly in the background...

Archived