Impulse buy - and something to run it on

Jason T

• RMweb Premium

I was in Howes the other day, with the sole intention of buying a few Parkside 21 ton hoppers. As you do (or as I do), I was looking at what they had in stock and just happened to notice the Lilliput HOe shunter. Next thing you know, I've purchased it, a handful of Roco wagons and some Peco 009 track and am heading home wondering what on earth I am going to do with it. After a weekend of pondering and finding a 4'6 x 1'8 length of chipboard, I went to a local stationers and bought a few sheets of foamboard and came up with the below.

I profess to knowing very little about industrial narrow gauge and know that HOe is out of scale with 4mm, but my head is full of ideas of what it could become. A narrow gauge line served quarry with exchange to standard gauge is the most likely so far.

I hope that my lack of knowledge in this area won't offend, and would love to hear any feedback, criticism, ideas, etc. One thing I will be doing is adding in a run-round loop at some point, as well as a rudimentary fiddle yard. I'll also be buying some more appropriate stock than the 4 very basic bolster wagons (all Howes had in).

NGexperiment1.jpg

NGexperiment4.jpg

Sandside, if you want to get into narrow gauge modelling I can do no better than recommend joining http://ngrm-online.com you'll get your layout in front of a much wider audience. There are several posts on NGRM about the Liliput diesel, how to disassemble it, kitbash it and discussion about how to use it to power a steam loco I seem to recall.

• RMweb Premium

The thought had crossed my mind, Olddudders. Am I up to the challenge of entering the Challenge?

I've also just signed up to the NGRM-online forum; thanks for the advice. I can see I'm not going to get much work done today now wink.gif

• 2 weeks later...

NGRM is an excellent forum :)

I am desperately trying not to buy any HOe stuff, as I've become very interested in Austrian narrow gauge after taking up LGB for the garden!

This layout looks like a fun distraction - I look forward to seeing what you do with the engine :)

Archived