00 gauge Bigboy

Hello all. This is my first post and its all questions, I have a small layout to send send in fotos of in a while, the before and after type with progressive pics. This is going to be my try it and see if it works layout to experiment with various ideas until I commit myself to my main project which will be a 14' x 8' affair in the hopefully not too distant future. Myself and my fater are returning after a rather long 30 odd year gap. So with that in mind and said fathers 70th coming up I was wondering, could anyone tell me would a HO gauge Bigboy (the American long loco with numerous axles) work alright on 00 gauge track, be it code 100 or code 75, he has a real affinity with this rather large machine but it would be a fitting present. Any help and answers would be gratefully received, Thanx Jonnie

Any HO loco will operate on OO track, with the caveat that scale platforms in 00 may not clear the cylinders etc, and couplings will need attention as the H0 model will have buckeye couplings, which are not the same as UK stock.

Stephen.

Hi and welcome to the forum.

Yes the Big Boy will run on OO gauge track BUT, due to its size. I would recommend that you have large curves and express type points on your layout.

Regards

David

The Rivarossi model is reputed to be able to negoiate 18" radius curves*, but looks rather silly doing it.

00 gauge and H0 gauge are the same thing - 16.5mm. The scale is of course different. However most commercial track has the sleepering scaled to H0 and set at the American 2' centres (7mm), so is fine for a Big Boy.

*The Märklin model claims 360mm, but will look even sillier. http://www.marklin.com/bigboy/

American HO locomotives are virtually the same size as British OO ones. The American NMRA issue a standards gauge for checking (among other things) structure clearances. This agrees very closely with the old BRMSB OO scale structure clearance gauge.

I have used my NMRA gauge to check clearances on British OO layouts with great success.

What you need to watch out for is that with American articulated locomotives such as the Bigboy, the boiler is mounted integral with the rear set of driving wheels and is carried on the forward set of wheels by sliding on it. On curved track the front of the boiler therefore projects out towards the outside of the curve. This may cause problems on a layout designed for smaller British locomotives.

The other factor to be aware of is that American rolling stock is built much higher than British and most main routes can now accommodate containers stacked 2 high. This would need to be checked on your father's layout

Current American model locos are fitted with Kaydee knuckle couplers or a clone thereof. If you wish to couple this to trains of British stock it is fairly easy to fit a Kaydee coupler with a NEM tail to the first vehicle of the train.

Hope this helps

Alex

• RMweb Gold

Pretty much every Bigboy model doesn't actually articulate like the real loco. The rear driving wheels are also pivoted exactly the same as any bogie diesel loco to get round tight curves. The best model out there is the Athearn one followed by Trix and both are far superior to the rivarossi model which is nearly forty years old.

A proper simple articulated like the Bigboy would need about 4ft radius curves in OO. (mallets are similar but have compounding so the front cylinders are bigger than those on the rear unit)

Thanks very much for they answers lads, if I could lean on you for one more question. I have looked around the UK retailers and they seem to be sold out of the Bigboys, is there any reason I cant just order said loco direct from the States. Would it be the right voltage and what not or is this idea a complete nono, thanks in advance,Jonnie

Thanks very much for they answers lads, if I could lean on you for one more question. I have looked around the UK retailers and they seem to be sold out of the Bigboys, is there any reason I cant just order said loco direct from the States. Would it be the right voltage and what not or is this idea a complete nono, thanks in advance,Jonnie

No problem re voltage etc.as all except the Märklin* operate on 12V DC (The US mains voltage and frequency is different, but that is irrelevant for the model.). The problem with ordering from the States is delayand cost of shipping (and the risk of it not arriving at all - this happened to my daughter) and then HMRC will hold the parcel and charge import duty. The Post Office will then charge a premium for handling.

The Rivarossi model is inferior, but a lot cheaper (you pay your money.....)

* It's not difficult to convert AC Märklin locos to DC but they are stud contact. (I suspect the Trix model is the same, but 2 rail????)

I've got four Rivarossi big boys in stock. (I also have a sound option for DCC)

They are weathered, rather than clean versions though. Call if you are interested as they are not on the Website at the moment.

there are plenty around if you look hard enough... :)

Admittedly Athearn and Trix locos are better, but much more expensive (Trix) or difficult to find (Athearn)

I've sold one Trix big Boy in my time. it comes in a wooden presentation box, it was a bit like handing over a coffin...

Archived