Scotsman Unveiled

• RMweb Gold

I think the email is not quote correct as their is a paint shop as part of the works at the museum so she will probably get painted there.

I doubt the great hall (or any other public accessible place) would be very good for painting as there would be dust and other containments in the air to ruin the finish.

Indeed - hence I was quite surprised to receive the promo email 'inviting' me to go to watch the loco being painted in The Great Hall. Perhaps Sir Hadyn will drop in some time and explain what is really happening?

The people who do the lining out are masters of their craft. I used to chat with the men that lined out Oldhams buses, indeed I still have the special lining brushed they gave me. Of course, craftsmen in many spheres were commonplace when I was young.

• 1 year later...
  • RMweb Premium

Well I braved the Bank Holiday weather and crowds this afternoon and popped round to the NRM for a look, and was glad I did; more so now I learn she's leaving tomorrow.

Great to see the old girl back in one piece and they seem to have done a thorough job on her. The temporary black livery is certainly different and not unattractive - but I'm sure an A3 will always look elegant in any colour (except maybe red! wink.gif blush.gif )!

There is a fine 3 1/2 gauge model of Heilan' Lassie going around Victoria for years. Its painted and lettered LMS & looks very smart and elegant. Built by the late Alan Houston.

A photo can be seen here.

http://symphonyofsteam.com/LMSteam.html

Just goes to show what a good colour scheme Crimson Lake is, if it does this to a Gresley loco!

Archived