Good looking concrete

Ive built a Depot Layout (yes another depot layout!!) Ive done the concrete by using polyfiller and running an old deep flanged truck through whilst still setting to give me the flangeways, it looks good now Ive sanded it all flat, trouble is now, how do i make a realistic looking concrete colour to paint it? I have the new Bachmann single road servicing shed which is a weathered grey, but do I use Pheonix weathered concrete ( a grey colour ) or Pheonix New Concrete ( a dirty yellowish colour) or is there something better?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Guest jim s-w

Hiya

You are kind of asking us to define 'grey'! My opinion (and its just that) is that i have yet to come across any paint branded as concrete that is anything like. The trick with concrete is how it weathers and thats not something a flat colour can give you. Go and find some real concrete, photograph it and copy it, you will probably need several greys but its all a bit vague atm. Once you have your pictures post some on here and I can tell you how i would do it. Other people will probably chip in with their methods to and you can pick the one you like

Hth

Jim

• RMweb Gold

I've used Plastikote Tan Suede effect spray paint to produce 'new' concrete in the past. This was then weathered down with various washes to get the effect I wanted. The paint as a slight texture to it which adds to the effect.

http://www.plasti-kote.co.uk/Product/pcode---4669/pccode---3620

I got a tin from B&Q but I'm sure it's available elsewhere too.

Tom.

Here's a humble Ratio PW hut that I did years ago (no mods to the kit either, which I would probably do now).

Can't remember exactly what I did, but it did involve looking at as many real ones as possible, and photographing where I could, in order to get that 'decaying' look. I think I used one of the proprietary 'concrete' enamels as a base, but then did a bit of wet streaking, dry brushing and dry 'stippling' - the last to try and recreate those dried out algal mats or whatever they are that seem to infest this material.

post-6669-0-75353000-1307036209_thumb.jpg

post-6669-0-07161600-1307036216_thumb.jpg

post-6669-0-80884900-1307036221_thumb.jpg

And as Jim SW says, get out and look at the real thing, it various enormously.

Yes, I too have been paying more attention to surfaces of all kinds of places and structures

I have then compared these to "off the shelf" textures and they just don't look realistic any more!

Archived