Oxted Line Loco Hauled

• RMweb Premium

What period?

During the late 1970's early 1980's they were known to us as Oxted 8 sets ( 8 cars ) usually formed all MK1's except as marked:-

TSO TSO TSO BSK FK(Mk2) TSO TSO TSO.

I have seen BCK substitue for the BSK. 1979, the year after I started working for BR, Saturdays 2 sets ran ECS to Brighton to work the Brighton to Bristol and the Exeter services.

I will look at photos I have to see if I can pick any numbers out.

Regards

Andy

• 5 weeks later...

Hi!

I mentioned it to friend t'other day who seemed to recall an article in one of the mags - possibly Rail Express on the Oxted loco hauled trains..........does anyone recall which one please?

Ta muchly,

Graeme

Hi

If you join robertcwp (of this parish)'s yahoo group BR Caoching Stock you will find for download a number of the Southern Region Carriage Working Notices giving details of the loco-hauled services and the related Appendix to Carriage Working Notice which gives the planned set formations for the CWN. Off the top of my head I think the Oxted line services were worked by what the SR classed as 8-Set K. Some interesting stabling took place at the southern route termini to enable early morning up trains to be loco-hauled and save ECS workings from New Cross Gate or Selhurst. The 1981 CWN for all three divisions have certainly been posted on BRCS in the past and if they are not at present then you only have to ask Robert and he will likely repost them for you.

• RMweb Premium

By 1979-82 the remaining peak-hour sets were all 8-car and nominally captive to the Victoria / London Bridge - East Grinstead / Uckfield peak workings though were used on chartex operations at times as well.

The use of Mk1 stock on Brighton - Exeter services ceased when the service was withdrawn (October 1975 IIRC); when it returned the next summer it was run by 6L+6B. When loco-haulage returned in later years the stock was provided from the Waterloo - Exeter Mk2 pool though I take note of Andy's comments above re 1979.

Until closure south of Uckfield there were also 3-sets in use on Brighton - Oxted (and Tun. Wells West) workings one of which was added to what was then a dedicated 8-set (as it contained a buffet car) on summer Saturdays for the Brighton - Exeter workings with the shunt move performed in Hove yard where the Exeter rake was kept every night at that time.

Archived