Adjusting the chuffs on a Loksound

trevoan

Hi, I have several excellent loksound decoders from Howes. I would like to know if there is any CV adjustment of the chuffs to synchronise with the revolutions of the wheels, on some locos the chuffs are too fast and some too slow.

Kind regards Trevor

• 1 month later...

Hi I have an SWD Locksound 3.5 for a 2-4 cylinder LMS loco in my box for a while so I fitted it into a Bachmann Royal Scot which of couse has 3 cylinders.

It definatly has a 4 beat rytham so I suspect I will have to send it for a reblow as the CV's above only set the chuff rate based on the loaded samples.

My question is if I get it reblown as a 3 cylinder will it definatly sound different or would it be a waste of money?

I sent an email to Howes a reblow but sadly they dont seem to have joined the electronic age and have not replied.

I dont deal with SWD so that that leaves Oliviers for the re-blow but I have no expeirience of there sounds and service. Anyone advise

Thanks

kev

• RMweb Gold

superkev, i'll point bryan at howes in the direction of this thread, he does a royal scot which has the 3 beat rhythm which sounds very nice, here is mine, that i no longer have, (it does go out of sync though as i hadnt adjust the cv's before the video)

http://m.youtube.com/index?client=mv-google&desktop_uri=%2F&gl=GB&rdm=4n9dh4ovk#/watch?v=zA9RNCcRJgU

• RMweb Gold

reply from bryan.....

Hi Kev.

Regarding the use if a 2 cyl SWD sound decoder in a 3 cyl loco there is a distinct difference in the way they sound, If the decoder is the LMS mogul you should at least have an LMS hooter sound.

I think CV57 on the SWD decoder is value 55, by changing it to say 40 it should give 6 chuffs to the wheel rev instead of 4, albeit it will still sound like a 2 cyl but look better giving 6 chuffs to the wheel rev as a 3 cyl loco should.

Changing the sound file system already installed on the decoder is not possible, so to get what you want you need to have it reblown., you may still need to fine tune CVs 57 and 58 for your loco as the values I set up using the correct model so it will work correctly when installed.

As for Howes and the electronic age I normally get any email enquiries to them re DCC sound on a daily basis as I work from home, I have not been in since Friday been at the AIT in Fairford for 2 days. F16 s make a 37 sound tame!!,

normally Howes they are pretty quick off the mark as most enquirers will testify. hope this is of some help...

cheers Bryan

Thankyou Bryan

My question to Howes was on the website enquiry page. Perhaps thats was the problem.

I have decided on the Howes Royal Scot reblow

The decoder was hard wired in so has wires and no plug. I have refited the speaker. Do I need to refit the plug too?

Do I just post it in a jiffy bag?

How do I pay?

Whats the usual turnround time..

Thanks in advance

kev

• RMweb Gold

Kev

Just send the decoder in as is,  no problem. jiffy bag will do,  enclose a note what you want on it , a contact number and address details etc, the shop will contact you for payment before despatch, re turnaround time, If you send it Tuesday SP Delivery to cover insurance, you should get it back Thursday, normally 48 hours,

Cheers

Bryan

Recieved my Howes LokSound 3.5 reblow mentioned above into a Royal Scot (excellent post Mon return Wed service)

Very impreseed with the perforammce and sounds.

Fitted both the Bass reflex speaker and decoder into tender with a sub miniture 4way connector to the loco.

Pity no-one sells a 6 or 8 way version to get wires to a headlight. I have meddled with the Molex pico connectors as used by Hornby but they are fragile and fiddly (I have a few left if anyone wants to try).

Im so impressed Im thinking of sending them my Bachman Crab which has a SWD/Loksound 3.5 generic 2 cylinder sound. Now what does the Crab whistle really sound like!

Next project - Headlights to Bachmann Fariburn and Crab as well as much continued head scratching with my ongoing scheme to fit a rotating fan to my Bachmann Class 37. Then it on to sound to either my Bachman 9F or Jubilee. May go for the Zimo as its cheaper then Loksound.

Kev

Archived