Maidenhead model shop

Black Sheep

There is a small Model Shop in Westborough Road called The Time Machine, The Marlow Donkey in Cookham, Model Junction at Slough Industrial Estate and ModelZone Reading.

If you are thinking of joining a local Model Railway Club - Marlow, Maidenhead & district will be pleased to welcome you; for details please PM me for details if you are interested.

Xerces Fobe

If you are thinking of joining a local Model Railway Club - Marlow, Maidenhead & district will be pleased to welcome you; for details please PM me for details if you are interested.

Xerces Fobe

you might change your mind when you meet me :P

I'll be looking into possibly joining a club and helping out with scouts etc after we've settled in a bit.

looking at moving in August.

The Marlow Donkey in Cookham

Are you sure? last time I was in Cookham, I got the impression that the shop (which was never known for its size) had been taken over by some other retail. I could be wrong - and would like to think so. It was(is) another one of those places where you discovered more and more with each browse. Though 2 customers seemed about the limit in terms of space!

• RMweb Gold

There's also Alton Model Railway Centre which isn't too far away. Oh and unless things have changed drastically I wouldn't bother with the place in Harris Arcade in Reading except for 'just looking' as his prices are - in my view - somewhat on the high side and if you knew what he pays for some of the stuff he sells you would be more than a little shocked.

There's also Alton Model Railway Centre which isn't too far away.

Although I would have been first to recommend them as my favourite - a real Aladdin's cave - and an excellent "old fashioned" model shop. But there is "too far" and "not too far" about an hour from here and probably nearer 90 minutes from Maidenhead.

Of course it all depends what you want from a model shop. For RTR (mostly Hornby) there is even Hobbycraft!

• RMweb Gold

Although I would have been first to recommend them as my favourite - a real Aladdin's cave - and an excellent "old fashioned" model shop. But there is "too far" and "not too far" about an hour from here and probably nearer 90 minutes from Maidenhead.

Google Maps says an hour from Maidenhead (centre to centre) give or take a minute or two depending on route; it quotes 67 minutes from my front door and as I can usually do it via the route it shows in under an hour (depending mainly on traffic in Reading) I reckon those are pretty fair estimates of journey time. But definitely worth the time it takes if you're looking for (to use your words) 'an excellent old fashioned model shop'.

There's also Alton Model Railway Centre which isn't too far away. Oh and unless things have changed drastically I wouldn't bother with the place in Harris Arcade in Reading except for 'just looking' as his prices are - in my view - somewhat on the high side and if you knew what he pays for some of the stuff he sells you would be more than a little shocked.

Personally I hadn't noticed his prices being particularly high, but it must be borne in mind that he is running a shop (on which he has to pay rent, lighting, business rates etc) and as far as I know make a living on it as well, so naturally his purchase-to-sale differential is likely to be higher than the sort of show traders who run their stands in their spare time and have a full-time income. As I work about 10 mins walk away, I'm usually in there at least once a week! And of course, it's cheaper than new....

(Usual disclaimer -no connection other than satisfied customer).

BlackSheep - if you're looking for a club to join, there's a branch of the N Gauge Society that meets in Sindlesham (just south of Reading) who would probably be worth getting in contact with.

Richard

A club that does a mixture of gauges would be of interest to me as I have a small amount of 00 stock that has hardly been run that I'm holding onto hoping to either have space for it or a garden railway :)

I'll think about clubs after I've moved and found a job and see what spare time there is.

thanks for the information about clubs and shops :)

A club that does a mixture of gauges would be of interest to me as I have a small amount of 00 stock that has hardly been run that I'm holding onto hoping to either have space for it or a garden railway :)

I'll think about clubs after I've moved and found a job and see what spare time there is.

thanks for the information about clubs and shops :)

Marlow and Maidenhead MRC is a broad church, we a have members that model in N, 00, EM, P4 and 7mm http://www.mmdmrc.org.uk/ When you have completed your move to Maidenhead PM me and then I we can arrange a visit to one of out club nights

Xerces Fobe

The website still exists.

http://www.keaygroup.co.uk/mdr/

Bernard

Interesting, but I was questioning the existence of the shop.

I would like to think I just missed it, it was a rather small frontage after all, but maybe he has just given up on the physical shop side.

I must make a mental note to have a specific look around next time I am over there.

• RMweb Gold

Interesting, but I was questioning the existence of the shop.

I would like to think I just missed it, it was a rather small frontage after all, but maybe he has just given up on the physical shop side.

I must make a mental note to have a specific look around next time I am over there.

If you scroll right to the very bottom of the page there is a link which takes you to detail of the retail shop (but that doesn't necessarily mean it's still there of courseunsure.gif).

If you scroll right to the very bottom of the page there is a link which takes you to detail of the retail shop (but that doesn't necessarily mean it's still there of courseunsure.gif).

I have known Ian Keay for a number of years and he has a Model Shop in Poland as well !Last time I spoke with Ian @ 18months ago I know he was putting a manager in the shop in Cookham however if mu memory serves me correct the lease comes up for renewal this year. The majority of The Marlow Donkey business is online so if the shop has or is closing I would imagine it will potentially continue to trade on-line. I will drive by Cookham sometime in the next few days and check the current situation of the shop

Xerces Fobe

Well, further news is, having met the landlords last night, we have a flat so we're just waiting on paperwork from the lettings agency and my wife's official job offer letter (she's accepted the position having had the interview and references have been collected)

I just need a job now :D

Archived