Fitting dual decoders for DCC osund AND Seuthe smoke generators?

I plan to install Loksound decoders into my steam locomotives to provide the sound and motor control for DCC operation. I would also like to fit Seuthe smoke generators.

I originally imagined that I'd have no control over when they 'steam' and when they don't. I thought that as long as there was smoke oil in them, they'll always smoke. Obviously this wouldn't be very realistic.

I read else where that some have installed two decoders into their steam locomotives. A sound equipped one for sound and the motor control, and a second one for controlling the smoke generator.

Being a new-comer to digital, can someone briefly outline (in simple terms!!!) how this would work? I imagine the smoke generator is treated as a 'function' on the decoder thus can be turned on and off? Why is it preferable to have it running off of it's own decoder and not off of the sound one?

Thanks for any help in advance.

• RMweb Gold

I plan to install Loksound decoders into my steam locomotives to provide the sound and motor control for DCC operation. I would also like to fit Seuthe smoke generators.

I originally imagined that I'd have no control over when they 'steam' and when they don't. I thought that as long as there was smoke oil in them, they'll always smoke. Obviously this wouldn't be very realistic.

I read else where that some have installed two decoders into their steam locomotives. A sound equipped one for sound and the motor control, and a second one for controlling the smoke generator.

Being a new-comer to digital, can someone briefly outline (in simple terms!!!) how this would work? I imagine the smoke generator is treated as a 'function' on the decoder thus can be turned on and off? Why is it preferable to have it running off of it's own decoder and not off of the sound one?

I do DCC, but I don't (intentionally!) do smoke. Most decoders have function outputs with limited current capacity, maybe not more than 0.25 of an amp. Given that a smoke generator is in effect a heater - it causes the fluid to evaporate - the current consumption may be considerably higher than a quarter-amp. Thus by using the motor-control output of a second decoder, you gain that current capability, since motor control outputs often exceed 1 amp.

As an aside, you might want to reflect on where the smoke goes once it's been chuffed out of the chimney. A % will end up on your track, with scope to impair electrical contact, so the locos won't run as well, and the smoke unit may not function properly.....

If you signed off with you name, I could address you personally.:D

Is this the sort of thing you mean?

Zimo sound decoders have enough power to spare to run a smoke generator (or two in A4s) without any additional hardware. Just wire the Seuthe to the decoder. You don't need another decoder or relays, The MX645 does it all. Economic with price and space.

You will be pleased to know that Zimo will not only switch your smoke on and off as you wish, it will also be possible to have light steam when standing, heavy steam when accelerating and medium steam when lightly worked.

Unlike Loksound, which has a 250mA limit on each Function Output, Zimo decoders will give up to 800mA on any of its Function Outputs, subject to an overall limit of 800mA at any one time.

The other advantage of Zimo MX645 is that it comes equipped with two wires to attach (supplied, but user selectable) capacitors for 'Stay Alive' capability. Loksound have an additional module for this job which costs £30-£40 pounds extra.

Here's a link to my Hornby Magazine article (Issue 43) which shows how to fit a smoke generator. Most of this applies whatever the decoder, so may be worth a look even if you are commited to another brand.

http://www.zimo.at/web2010/aboutus/HornbyMagazine43Jan2011.pdf

Motor control. Zimo is absolutely top draw in this regard too, with an amazing amount of variation available to customise the motor control to suit each of your locos.

And Zimo decoders are less expensive. Important if you have a fleet of locos to convert.

Good luck.

Paul

Archived