Fitting pickups to Airfix autocoach

I am about to upgrade an Airfix autocoach with the Dart detailing kit. It seems like a good idea to fit pickups to the wheels during the upgrade so that a DCC decoder could be installed in the coach as room is tight in the Hornby 14xx that it will be permanently paired with. Currently the decoder is in the cab of the 14xx and will be transferred to the autocoach. This set up should also improve running of the 14xx.

My problem is - how to disguise the 2 wires running from the decoder in the autocoach to the engine. Possibly they could be run through a sheath that looked like a vacuum pipe.

Has anyone else found a solution or have any suggestions.

Thanks

Keith

Are you planning to remove pickup capability from the loco and only use the autocoach?

If not, you will require four wires.

If you use fine gauge decoder wire you should have no issues with flexibility and obtrousiveness, even for four wires, you could use a small piece of unshrunk heatshrink tubing, or a flexible fabric sheathing to conceal the wires if permanently coupled.I would recommend using coloured wire though, to avoid confusion when making connections. You can always paint the exposed areas black.

Real auto coaches have three flexible connections, Vacuun brake hose, steam heat pipe and the electical connection (the same as the normal intercoach lighting control) for the bell signalling aparatus.

Use flexible wire to recreate these and no one will know.

Archived