Strawburgh yard plan

Hello all, after a long time of dithering about, making various plans and schemes all with absolutely no grounding in reality, I have at last put some of what is in my head onto paper. Before I continue I should mention a small(ish) change of plan, a while after my decision to model a fictitious Edinburgh shed I ended having a real heart to heart with what I wanted out of the Layout and I reached the conclusion that really I was just following another mans idea and was not actually doing anything original. This proved fortune as it was at that exact moment that I was draw, as many are, to the Waverley route and I began to think of Strawburgh not as shed but perhaps as somewhere in the borders, eventually I decided that it should somehow link the Waverley with Edinburgh and Glasgow, this allows me to explore my interests both in the Waverley and Haymarket and Scottish LMSR steam and its fictitious location means I can also explore my interest in never weres. Anyway here is the plan;

post-9274-0-67769400-1307117878_thumb.jpg

Now as you can see, it is a simple double track main line, that will be part of a double oval, the main line will run into the platform area that is intended to hold four carriages, probably MK1s to be on the safe side, or six at a pinch. The inner loop will serve a Marshalling yard for pick up goods sorting and a set of northward sidings, to serve local industry and finally the southward sidings will be a serving point for yard shunter's and pilots.

So do comment on what you think and what could be done to make this more practical. I would like to hear your thoughts on whether it could fit the size available, 8x8 ft, and on what industry it best advised to serve given its location.

yours

ScR

You've mentioned baseboard size, but not scale. I'd say it would be a squeeze at OO but very viable at N.

D'OH, yes for future reference it is in 00 gauge, or meant to be, every thing is at a preliminary stage here. Sorry if I lead anyone astray, but for me modeling N gauge would just be inviting trouble

I've just done a partial layout using medium points and unfortunately I don't believe you have the width you need. 12ft I'd say is the absolute minimum you need. With 8 foot your run around loop is small, the left hand fan of sidings is 100% unusuable ( the final point hits the oval curved track) and the right side works reasonably well. One way you might be able to adapt the design is to angle it away from the running lines - not sure how much space you'd gain but might work.

• RMweb Premium

You could fit that in, in the space that you have but you would need to wrap it round at lease 2 sides. I would also say that you would need to do it on the outside of the main lines rather than inside the main lines.

• RMweb Premium

Shows what is good about this site Katier. Everyone has different views and ideas. Sharing these can often develop new ones. I guess that I saw the concept in a different way to yourself.

Shows what is good about this site Katier. Everyone has different views and ideas. Sharing these can often develop new ones. I guess that I saw the concept in a different way to yourself.

Indeed and I often think outside the box. Think it would work well with the mpd etc. in the foreground and the mainline providing a backdrop.

Note to the OP - you will almost certainly need an operating well because 4 feet is considered too far to reach. Put the well in the oval and you should be fine.

post-9274-0-78786000-1307815784_thumb.jpg

Update, I decided to draw out the Layout in a full oval, I enjoy the pleasure of watching train run continuously. I'm a little undecided as to what to put inside the oval, so I've just drawn a few siddings, suggestion on this note would be helpful , to increase platfrom length I've drawn the station on the left hand curve, you woun't be able to tell this as the scanner has sliced off the corners. I should have stated this earlier but my actual maximum is 6x6 - 8x6ft in terms of size, finally I have been considering investing in Templot, is the expence worth it? So heres the drawing.

Archived