Foxcote New Pit - formerly Highbury Colliery

queensquare

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I know in my OP I said this thread was for locos but as I've just finished off a short rake of wagons I thought I would broaden it out a bit.
I am trying to get a bit more of a light railway feel to the stock, not just for Highbury but also for the new little layout, Tucking Mill. The three cattle wagons will one day form part of the WO Frome market train which will be predominantly livestock - I just need to finish off the other part built cattle wagons in my stock box along with something suitable for the stockmen to ride to market in. The MR wagon is one of Chris Higgs' kits which goes together beautifully and is available from the Association. The two SDJR cattle wagons use the greatly missed Grahame Hughes whitemetal kits for the LSWR wagon as a basis.
The MR coke wagon is one of a pair I have built and is a favourite of mine. I think they are really attractive wagons and is another Chris Higgs kit. I shall build a few more of these as they would have been a common sight at Bath gasworks as well as on the branch - there was a coke works at Newbury colliery about two miles down the line from Highbury.
The SDJ opens are a fairly simple conversion of the Association MR open kit.
The North Somerset Light Railway brake van No. 7 is an ex GWR vehicle and is built from a David Eveleigh etch, also available through the 2mm Association - how many more reasons do you need to join!!
The wagons are spray painted with enamels, lettering is transfers where available, otherwise ink and a mapping pen. Weathering is more enamels and powders followed by a light spray with matt varnish.

post-1074-0-63223000-1316379651_thumb.jpg
post-1074-0-74205900-1316379616_thumb.jpg
post-1074-0-15949400-1316379675_thumb.jpg

cheers Jerry

Edited by queensquare
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Thanks Don,

are you going to make it up to the AGM - would be nice to put a face to a name.

Jerry

AGM aside it would be worth going to see Wenford Bridge. I was talking to you and John at Taunton two years ago.

Don

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Rumour has it that they are going to build a small wooden platform at Highbury for the early and late shift, in anticipation of this a passenger train has been seen running trials on the North Somerset Light.....

Must be start of the season as that looks like the Squire's, mother's carriage on the OCT being brought back from town!

post-1074-0-55261500-1318580515_thumb.jpg

post-1074-0-56111500-1318580533_thumb.jpg

Jerry

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Rich, and for the birthday beer (complete with ribbon!), which was very nice. Yes, the OCT is from the former PC etch, the carriage is one of those lovely, but oh so delicate, Shire Scenes kits. The two coaches are David Eveleigh etches awaiting interiors and painting. Problem I have is that the NSLR aquiring a passenger service is such a new idea that I'm having trouble deciding on a livery - any suggestions?

Jerry

Thanks Rich, and for the birthday beer (complete with ribbon!), which was very nice. Yes, the OCT is from the former PC etch, the carriage is one of those lovely, but oh so delicate, Shire Scenes kits. The two coaches are David Eveleigh etches awaiting interiors and painting. Problem I have is that the NSLR aquiring a passenger service is such a new idea that I'm having trouble deciding on a livery - any suggestions?

Jerry

No problem. That carriage is really nice. I'm going to order some 4 wheelers from shire scenes so it might get added to the list. I'm not sure whether what I built for my midland OCT is micron art or shire scenes.

I'd go for something different with the livery, maybe light green like Kimberly? You can make the livery more or less challenging by the amount (or lack of) lining. As an idea you could print out some liveries slapped on in the computer and see what looks good and fits in with the scene at Highbury.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
Problem I have is that the NSLR aquiring a passenger service is such a new idea that I'm having trouble deciding on a livery - any suggestions?

My understanding was that North Somerset Light Railway adopted an interesting blue/grey with salmon detailing. The carriage you have modelled was still wearing this colour scheme when British Railways closed the line and the tramway coach was relocated to the neighbouring Titfield & Mallingford Railway branch. Interestingly when the now famous private company bought the railway and rolling stock from British Railways they sympathetically restored the carriage but with maroon detailing, sadly the reason for this wasn't recorded but it could have been based on information (maybe paint flakes?) available at the time.

Thankfully some early colour photographs have survived and they can be seen here:

http://www.alextrack.co.uk/movies/the_titfield_thunderbolt/rolling_stock_wisbech_upwell_coach.html

Cheers,

Alex

• RMweb Gold

My understanding was that North Somerset Light Railway adopted an interesting blue/grey with salmon detailing. The carriage you have modelled was still wearing this colour scheme when British Railways closed the line and the tramway coach was relocated to the neighbouring Titfield & Mallingford Railway branch. Interestingly when the now famous private company bought the railway and rolling stock from British Railways they sympathetically restored the carriage but with maroon detailing, sadly the reason for this wasn't recorded but it could have been based on information (maybe paint flakes?) available at the time.

Thankfully some early colour photographs have survived and they can be seen here:

http://www.alextrack...well_coach.html

Cheers,

Alex

Hi Alex,

Your knowledge of North Somerset Light history is spot on and a credit to you although I wanted to do the coaches in the livery that preceded the pink and grey(sic)!

Seriously, I had considered the Titfield livery but its horrible!! It was evidently repainted in that scheme as it looked good in technicolour, likewise the cattle wagon had its ironwork picked out in a darker colour for the same reason - sadly I don't think it would work in 2mm!

That said, I am seriosly considering putting in Mr Valantines bar when I get round to fitting out the interior.

regards Jerry

can't go yet, Squires not 'ere....

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

No visiting motive power this time but a couple of visiting operators - Andy Hanson (2mm Andy) and David Long helping me out last weekend at the excellant Hull exhibition - thanks chaps. The Hull club were great hosts and looked after us extremely well making our long trip from the south west very worthwile.

Highbury is next out at Leamington and Warwick followed by St Albans in january - I will try to update the website in the next few weeks with all the 2012 dates.

Jerry

post-1074-0-12436500-1321520437_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Nice one Jerry

It really shows off the benefit of good integrated layout lighting when you see the overall sports hall provision.

Is Andy aligning the turntable or about to help himself to a slice of exhibitors cake? :D

• RMweb Gold

Nice one Jerry

It really shows off the benefit of good integrated layout lighting when you see the overall sports hall provision.

Is Andy aligning the turntable or about to help himself to a slice of exhibitors cake? :D

Thanks Pete,

I think Andy is alligning one of the cassettes - no turn tables on this one.

As for cakes, the provision was excellant. About the only complaint I heard all weekend was that by the time the boys headed off for lunch the chocolate cake had all gone (I blame the Southamton club but don't tell anyone!!). That said the Carrot cake was pretty good as was the gateau :good:

Jerry

Edited by queensquare

Thanks Jerry - I think I must have been wincing when I realised you were taking a photo! (either that or concentrating on turning a cassette) Anyway, thank you for the opportunity to operate the layout - it was a very enjoyable day.

You forgot to mention that you and Kim were awarded two trophies by the Hull MRS for Highbury Colliery. :clapping:

Andy

PS> The carrot cake was very nice! :good_mini:

• RMweb Gold

Thanks chaps, Kim and I were very surprised and flattered to win two cups at Hull.

That said, the real icing on the cake for me was getting an invite to go and see Buckingham in its new home - comfortably my favourite and most influential layout ever. Kim laughed at my excitement and reverence as I handled and studied some of the stock whilst chatting with the new owner - she said we were like a couple of big kids - I hope so!!

Jerry

• RMweb Gold

A quick update to note a couple of new arrivals. First up is the new Dapol bubble car which will constitute the passenger service when I eventualy get enough stock to run Highbury in very late steam/early diesel mode c.1963/64. Its a lovely little model and a very nice runner, even managing to run - well more climb really - through the point at the entrance to the colliery. When I've finished having a play I will turn down the wheels, detail and weather it. The pictures show it strait out of the box, albeit with the couplings removed.

post-1074-0-10085600-1322316412_thumb.jpg

post-1074-0-41626000-1322316431_thumb.jpg

I mentioned a few posts back that I want to give Highbury and Tucking Mill more of a light railway, Colonel Stephens feel. To this end the Squire, on the Colonels behalf, has aquired a new loco - obviously surplus to requirments in the east end.

The body is the old farish casting with Association wheels and gears and a Tenshodo open frame motor. A lot of detailing still needs to be done both above and below the footplate but the running trials look promising and the loco could soon be seen hauling coal through rural somerset rather than commuters in the east end of London.

post-1074-0-39891200-1322317326_thumb.jpg

post-1074-0-80368000-1322317693_thumb.jpg

post-1074-0-32238900-1322317715_thumb.jpg

Edited by queensquare
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

No it's a GF general purpose tank, kind of related to a GE engine. I used to have two on my old N Gauge layout in the 1970's (Gouldby for Caldecote) coupled together for banking trains up the 1 in 37 incline. The noise they made meant that you needed ear defenders and they were also quite good at shedding coupling rods. They were superceded by my model of Big Bertha, converted from a Minitrix 2-10-0.

Tim