Farish Cl.08 Running

justin1985

I've just picked up a new Farish 08 at Warley from The Signalbox (RfD livery at ??39). I've just started running it in, but so far its running reminds me of the ancient Hornby Caley Pug in my first trainset as a kid - i.e. stationary or supersonic!

I am hoping this might improve with running in, but its much worse out of the box than any other modern N model I have bought recently. Is this characteristic of the model, or have I got a dud?

I've just picked up a new Farish 08 at Warley from The Signalbox (RfD livery at ??39). I've just started running it in, but so far its running reminds me of the ancient Hornby Caley Pug in my first trainset as a kid - i.e. stationary or supersonic!

I am hoping this might improve with running in, but its much worse out of the box than any other modern N model I have bought recently. Is this characteristic of the model, or have I got a dud?

Either the old or new design 08 shouldn't run like this and both can (and do in my experience) run well. It is worth checking that the pickups are all making good contact and then running in for an hour or so. The gearing on the new design 08 is at a lower ratio than the 04, so it will run faster, but I've had no trouble getting mine to crawl along too.

Cheers,

Alan

Thanks for the quick reply!

I've just taken the body off and adjusted the pickups a little - they didn't seem to be pressed against the back of the wheels that hard. I have been testing it on 1st radius curves, so I guess they might not have always been making contact at the extremes of the curves.

However, the minimum speed does still seem very fast. I only have to move the controller a little past the centre, it shoots off at what would appear to me as the maximum prototypical speed for an 08. At the same position on the controller (c. 10%), say my Farish cl.57 or cl.60, would crawl off at a fractional speed.

Does the 04 run noticeably slower from the box then? If so, I would be very tempted to return this 08 and wait for more BR blue 04s to appear ...

Does the 04 run noticeably slower from the box then? If so, I would be very tempted to return this 08 and wait for more BR blue 04s to appear ...

Yes, but I'm surprised that you can't get slower running - what controller are you using?

Cheers,

Alan

Yes, but I'm surprised that you can't get slower running - what controller are you using?

Thanks for replying again. I was mainly just using a Hornby trainset controller, not great I know. However the the Farish 57, 60, 150 Dapol 73 etc all run extremely well on it, right down to a crawl. I also tried a Gaugemaster "E", with similar results.

Perhaps this particular model is a bit of a dud, possibly it should start running at an even lower voltage than the other models, but is binding on the rods etc. I did notice one of the wheel flanges has a bit of a chunk missing out of it, so it is conceivable something like that might have gone wrong.

The Signal Box have agreed to take it back for a refund, and even refund the postage, which does seem like extremely good service. I think I'd have to see another 08 running in the flesh in a shop before I get another though. More likely I'll wait for an 04 instead.

Many thanks for your help!

Justin

Thanks for replying again. I was mainly just using a Hornby trainset controller, not great I know. However the the Farish 57, 60, 150 Dapol 73 etc all run extremely well on it, right down to a crawl. I also tried a Gaugemaster "E", with similar results.

Worth investing in something better methinks - it'll pay dividends in the long run and get the most from modern locos.

Perhaps this particular model is a bit of a dud, possibly it should start running at an even lower voltage than the other models, but is binding on the rods etc. I did notice one of the wheel flanges has a bit of a chunk missing out of it, so it is conceivable something like that might have gone wrong.

Sounds like you've been unlucky and got a dud - if there's wheel damage then it should go back.

The Signal Box have agreed to take it back for a refund, and even refund the postage, which does seem like extremely good service. I think I'd have to see another 08 running in the flesh in a shop before I get another though. More likely I'll wait for an 04 instead.

Don't be too put off by this - the 08 is an excellent little model and certainly worth a second chance.

Cheers,

Alan

Archived