What etched chassis is this please

Please can anyone identify what etched chassis is this please, I think it is a diesel loco

post-1131-0-63403700-1307222007_thumb.jpg

The wheels are 16mm Romfords, wheelbase is 20mm x 23mm. The chassis is 105mm long and I think scratch built. Nicely built with compensated wheel sets (beam). Was sold as a J39 with 4' wheels and stated it was a Perseverance chassis.

Thanks in advance

J94 Austerity, not a diesel.

The frame profile is a dead giveaway and the wheelbase confirms it.

Halfwit

Thanks very much, I have a Center Models kit waiting to be built, and has a solid brass chassis. So this may be a good replacement.

One problem is that the chasis is about 2mm too high and it would also need small cutouts in the top at both ends (where the spacers are). May even need shortening. I guess I could buy coupling rods from the likes of Alan Gibson as the rigid ones with the old chassis will be no good.

I can now see its not scratch built but an etching. I guess it will have to be unassembled and rebuilt to make these changes. Still the seller got the region correct if not the loco.

One problem is that the chasis is about 2mm too high and it would also need small cutouts in the top at both ends (where the spacers are). May even need shortening. I guess I could buy coupling rods from the likes of Alan Gibson as the rigid ones with the old chassis will be no good.

I can now see its not scratch built but an etching. I guess it will have to be unassembled and rebuilt to make these changes. Still the seller got the region correct if not the loco.

RT Models are producing an etched chassis kit for an Austerity, which might be a lot less work re-building this one.

RT Models are producing an etched chassis kit for an Austerity, which might be a lot less work re-building this one.

Paul

Thanks for that, the other option is to keep the wheels (I have a couple of small locos waiting to be built that need 16mm wheelsets) and either sell on the chassis or remove the hornblocks as these are now quite expensive and reuse them as well. No great financial loss (except to the original owner)as I paid just over half what a new set of wheels would cost me.

When buying items with poor descriptions I bid on a known worse case example, eg what are the wheels worth to me in this case. Just realised that I have two K's 44xx that have a set of original K's 14mm wheels so I have a couple more locos that can use them.

Halfwit

Thanks very much, I have a Center Models kit waiting to be built, and has a solid brass chassis. So this may be a good replacement.

That it's a mm or so too tall tells me that it's the Perseverance kit: I had to take a similar amount off the top of mine. For some reason Rod Neep designed it for a thin sheet footplate despite the fact that, so far as I know, no one at that time (mid-80s) had produced an Austerity body like that. The Impetus chassis had more detail (though not much more).

The Perseverance rods are laminated - or at least, should be - so unsoldering them and splitting around the centre crankpin would serve

If the chassis is well built and the compensation works, rather than de constructing it, I would replace the kit footplate with a thin brass one and obtain some new etched buffer beams from RT Models. Much easier to adapt an unbuilt kit than to muck about with something that's already in one piece.

Adam

Archived