It isn't safe - even when it is bolted down!

shortliner

Guest Max Stafford

That was a bit of an 'inside job' though. This looks like a bit of amateur thieving, albeit with the aid of some heavy equipment

Dave.

I seem to remember there was an incident in Eastern Europe a couple of years ago where someone stole a plate girder bridge!

A preserved steam locomotive was also stolen for its metal in the Ukraine

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/3520281.stm

(Also mentions the bridge).

Incidentally, how helpful of the original article to point out that "Railroad steel is made from iron" - and we thought the BBC News was dumbed down!

Many preserved railways here are suffering theft of track accessories, signalling items and rolling stock parts too. The K&ESR had a load of stuff taken from Wittersham Road recently. It was tracked to the local scrap dealer where arms and ammo were found. "Several arrests were made".. :blink:

I seem to remember there was an incident in Eastern Europe a couple of years ago where someone stole a plate girder bridge!

I seem to remember a bridge being stolen from the Blane Valley line, northwest of Glasgow, after the line had closed, but I can't find any reference to it.

• RMweb Premium

The comments following the article promptly took a very biased political turn.

If 8 feet of rail weighs 900 lb, that's 337.5 lb per yard. and 115 lb is considered pretty heavy.

I seem to remember a bridge being stolen from the Blane Valley line, northwest of Glasgow, after the line had closed, but I can't find any reference to it.

The one I'm thinking of was on a line that was still open (albeit one freight train a week)... it was only quick thinking by the driver that averted an accident.

Archived