Improving r-t-p vehicles

Peter Bedding

Just occasionally, even the best manufacturer's standards will slip, and a cherished r-t-p model has an error that can marginally offend the eye.

The example presently in front of me is Oxford's Alvis Speed 20. Other than lift the bonnet, I have been all over the model, and I am in complete admiration of the body accuracy, in terms of shape and dimensions. Overall, I have only two comments.

The first comment might suggest that rivet-counting has descended to a whole new level. On the model, the very neat radiator grill would do credit to a Speed 25 (vertical slats), and is not quite right for a Speed 20 (wire mesh). I shall live with this!

The second comment is a visual thing that I would particularly like to remedy. The front wheels seem to be set too high (about 1mm) in relation to the chassis. A rework has to be attempted to do justice to the rest, lowering the front axle by this amount and possibly lowering the rear axle by a lesser amount.

So my question is, has anyone successfully modified a chassis for one of the diecast r-t-p models, and are there lessons that can be passed on?

PB

Guest jim s-w

Hi Peter

I haven't seen the model, but the Oxford models I have use a simple slots cast into the chassis to hold the axles. I would think a few strokes of a hacksaw would deepen the slot and lower the ride height. Likewise to the chassis to raise the ride height (you would need to glue the axle in)

Their golf and camper use screws to hold everything together but others use rivets that you will need to drill out.

While in bits it's worth a quick spray of matt varnish over the body to tone everything d own a bit

Hth

Jim

• RMweb Premium

It does help sometimes to modify diecasts. I have fitted the Base Toys Mk 1 Cortina with the chassis and interior from an Oxford Mk 1 Cortina, matching the best of both models. Adding driver/passenger figures certainly enhances these models.

Archived