One for the Shed Dwellers

• RMweb Premium

I would agree with the bitumen paint idea 100%. My shed went up over a year ago and each join in the roofing felt was painted twice. Firstly a big dollop of bitumen on top of the first layer, into which the overlapping layer was pushed before it was nailed. When it was dry a second coat was put over the joint. Finally, each and every nail head was painted.

It is early days yet but so far (touch wood) the only sign of anything untoward was a slight bit of moisture/resin as the interior of the shed warmed up and dried out. This stopped after a couple of weeks and there has been no sign of anything since.

Good luck sorting it out.

Tony

I've used a piece of felt over the suspected leaking clout nails. I eased the top up under the edge of the upper felt layer to make it harder for water to get under it. When everything is bone dry, I have a tin of bitumen paint to seal all of the clout nail heads. Hopefully that will fix the issue. On the inside of the shed I've removed some of the baking foil that I used as insulation, as it was holding condensation above it which may have contributed to the problem. I'm going to look out for cheap carpet tiles to use as internal roof insulation, as these should breathe a little better.

So far the damp patch has not grown in size, and is starting to dry up. This may, however, be more to do with the lack of rain rather than anything else! I decided in the end against shingles for now. It's expensive for the area of roof I had, and I wanted to see if my repair will fix it first. Maybe when the roofing felt is due renewal I'll look at shingles; not until then.

Archived