Some Military Vehicles

Some vehicles that have recently made their way off my workbench. Now I need to start a a few Warwells and flats though!

First off, a FV623 Stalwart. This is the ammunition carrying variant. It's from a BW Models whitemetal kit with a few added extras such as tow wires and pallets in the back.

post-6694-0-73576100-1307381861_thumb.jpg

Next is a part finished FV621, the Mk1 version. Haven't quite finished this one as I ran out of paint part way through and I can't remember which one it is :)

post-6694-0-13164300-1307381915_thumb.jpg

Also just finished a Scammell Explorer, also a BW kit.

post-6694-0-24956800-1307381984_thumb.jpg

post-6694-0-05548700-1307382046_thumb.jpg

These are all to support 2 105mm Light Guns, (JB Models), being towed by Airfix/JB 1 Tonne Land Rovers

post-6694-0-74629500-1307382088_thumb.jpg

Love the Stalwarts, love any 6x6.

Remember the 1 Tonneys to, had my own for a whilst when I was in 42 Cdo RM.

Many a surprised look at red traffic lights as if you put your foot down, they certainly took off.yahoo.gif

Great fun to drive and very comfy inside.

Not as much fun as the 1/2 tonne GS tho but thats another story!

Many a surprised look at red traffic lights as if you put your foot down, they certainly took off

I shall always remember the 2 soldiers in 2 fc101's one towing the other in Aldershot. They got stopped at the traffic lights in the military area, the one on the rope coasted up close behind the other leaving the rope on the road. When the lights went green the front one took off like a scalded cat and when he hit the end of the rope I thought the chap in the back one had whiplash.

I will admit to finding this highly amusing.

Pete

• RMweb Premium

I shall always remember the 2 soldiers in 2 fc101's one towing the other in Aldershot. They got stopped at the traffic lights in the military area, the one on the rope coasted up close behind the other leaving the rope on the road. When the lights went green the front one took off like a scalded cat and when he hit the end of the rope I thought the chap in the back one had whiplash.

I will admit to finding this highly amusing.

Pete

Obviously he did not know how to drive a vehicle under tow. The trick is to keep the tow rope taut at all times. I recall a similar occurrence in Romford many years ago when the driver being towed managed to get a front wheel on the tow rope, he stayed behind when the towing vehicle moved off together with the towing vehicles back bumper!

Guest Max Stafford

Nice vehicles. I've got a soft spot for the Stalwart as I got to drive one of these and an Abbott SPG for my 40th. Hellfire beast it was too and I took to it straight away. I got suspicious looks from the instructor who asked if I'd driven one before. I think he suspected I was an ex-squaddie who was taking the p***! Not that squaddies would do such a thing!:lol:

Dave.

Obviously he did not know how to drive a vehicle under tow. The trick is to keep the tow rope taut at all times.

Knowing Servicemen, it may well be that he did!

All depends who was being towed.rolleyes.gif

I can remember seeing how high we could fling someone stood on a tow rope when it was pulled taught.

Quite high iirc lollaugh1.gif

I like that Explorer, really looks the part. I've a couple of Airfix Bedford QLT/QLD's to make up for a similar project.

Yes, the FC101's are surprisingly quick off the mark and you can't beat that V8 burble :happy_mini: .

Here's my very own, fantastic towing vehicles;

post-6861-0-97570800-1307402866_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Premium

I like that Explorer, really looks the part. I've a couple of Airfix Bedford QLT/QLD's to make up for a similar project.

Yes, the FC101's are surprisingly quick off the mark and you can't beat that V8 burble :happy_mini: .

That would make an interesting model on its own.

Love the Stollies! I had the most amazing exercise on Soltau in one of them back in 1987. It's only with the intoduction of the Jackal that we have had a wheeled vehicle that is as competent, fast and fun off road. We lost our One Tonnies in favour of dreadful RB44s to tow our Light Guns back in 1992. They were fast and nimble, but easy to turn over if you were not careful.

The only interesting thing in that picture is what is on the trailer :laugh:

Am i correct in thinking it is a 10/60?

Simon

Simon, Well spotted! It's a 1964 Nuffield 10/60 but the original 4 cylinder BMC diesel has been replaced with the 6 cylinder variant (frame lengthened accordingly) of a little under 6 litres and 90hp.

So you might think of it as a 10/90, not that Nuffield ever made one.

Not wishing to stray OT, but those buffers on your workbench would be worth a mention. They appear to be of LSWR pedigree.

PB

Peco. With very shakily painted red stripe... I might soon get around to a layout thread with them on soon...

Love the Stollies! I had the most amazing exercise on Soltau in one of them back in 1987. It's only with the intoduction of the Jackal that we have had a wheeled vehicle that is as competent, fast and fun off road. We lost our One Tonnies in favour of dreadful RB44s to tow our Light Guns back in 1992. They were fast and nimble, but easy to turn over if you were not careful.

Which have now gone! Replaced with Dafffffs with roller coaster seats.... Hmmmm

I've had one in my kits box for a few too many years waiting for me to get confident at working with white metal again.

Might have to get it built just for the shelf and get a warwell for when I have space for 00 (switched to N gauge)

I've had one in my kits box for a few too many years waiting for me to get confident at working with white metal again.

Might have to get it built just for the shelf and get a warwell for when I have space for 00 (switched to N gauge)

These were my first whitemetal kits. :) As soon as I realised that you need to clean up the faces that fit together, everything superglued into place easily and so far (they've been constructed for at least a year...) nothing bad has happened (touch wood) unsure.gif

Archived