the best 26 and 27 sound files available?

DapolDave

Hi guys,

With the upcoming Scottish layout project i'm looking at more N gauge sound but in the class 26 and 27's that i shall have.

So, readig on here about peoples choices and why would be good please?

cheers

Dave

I got my 26 sound files free from http://sounds.huebsch.at/, they are mistakenly listed as USA 26xxx not UK, but nice clean sounds and I turned them into a Digitrax project pretty easily. They have the classic teacup-teacup nicely capture

Basic Digitrax sound set at:

http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/MHXuTUiDU7xONJckOKxAooPaZag1hUeghzfDbp9rT-P6NaF1OpYPTvqfaWPNJsRFwjF92HqtSzoBQjs9ku7gUyVkvZJnMQ/Diesel%20SPJ%20files/UKClass26.zip

but you may need to join the Yahoo digitrax group to get it.

At some point I need to redo it with proper notching.

I'd go with Howes Dave if you can get n gauge sound? I am OO man. The sounds are excellent. That said 24s and 26s are pretty interchangeable as are 25s with 27s. We ran SWD ones initially on several layouts and no one ever commented. Pays your money as they say. We currently run a mix later fits have all been Howes. The useful thing is that V=Bryan can mix up the horn sounds and extras if you ask nicely and it means the fleet isn't too uniform.

It is the N gauge that will kill it. Best solution is to run a permanently coupled pair one with a motor and the other with a sound chip and speaker. It works quite well if carefully done but the chassis in the dummy will need surgery.

Hi Dave

Not sure if suitable for "N" or not ? , but for a 26 sound wise, have a listen to Youtube "legomanbiffo" clips (3 parts) Having always been impressed with my Howes version, however I now much prefer my "legomanbiffo" reblow, it comes with playable horns as standard, and excellent drivability. This is very much how I remember 26's sounding, having lived close to their Highland depot.

Another option perhaps worth a listen before parting with any bucks, may be the Digitrains Zimo 26 as/when available ?

HTH

Ken

I got my 26 sound files free from http://sounds.huebsch.at/, they are mistakenly listed as USA 26xxx not UK, but nice clean sounds and I turned them into a Digitrax project pretty easily. They have the classic teacup-teacup nicely capture

Basic Digitrax sound set at:

http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/MHXuTUiDU7xONJckOKxAooPaZag1hUeghzfDbp9rT-P6NaF1OpYPTvqfaWPNJsRFwjF92HqtSzoBQjs9ku7gUyVkvZJnMQ/Diesel%20SPJ%20files/UKClass26.zip

Unfortunately, link is "404-Not Found".

- Nigel

It is the N gauge that will kill it. Best solution is to run a permanently coupled pair one with a motor and the other with a sound chip and speaker. It works quite well if carefully done but the chassis in the dummy will need surgery.

Plenty of room in most N diesel locos for a proper speaker with a bit of thought. Hopefully the Dapol 26 has been planned for speaker space so there is room for a CT sugarcube or similar so you get acceptable bass (more so if you can superglue the speaker box to a metal chassis block)

It's not perfect by any means - the sugarcube doesn't have the most linear response but then this is diesel loco noise not music, and I doubt a home made ported enclosure would be too linear either !

Plenty of room in most N locos for a proper speaker with a bit of thought. Hopefully the Dapol 26 has been planned for speaker space so there is room for a CT sugarcube or similar

On my bench is an example of the new Zimo tiny sugarcube; a quick ruler estimate is 12.5x8x7mm The CT sugarcube is massive in comparison.

Hi

I would look at Leggomanbiffo on youtube his sounds are excellent.

Here is his class 25.

http://www.youtube.com/user/legomanbiffo

and his class 24 outstanding!

http://www.youtube.com/user/legomanbiffo#p/a/u/1/UPVoid9HXOA

I have ordered some of these from him as they are far better that my sounds. I plan to pop one of these into a limited edition model zone red 24. This is the person I would go with no doubt there. You will find him far more flexible and understanding to your needs than any Hobby shop. Bif gets my No 1 recommendation!

Hope that helps,

Martin

You are well behind the times plenty of single n gauge locos have DCC sound yet still retaining their weight.

Hi guys,

Can i just add, that it is perfectly feasible to get sound into N gauge nowadays.

indeed our Voyager, and the GF 108 have sound provision.

I myself have 2 wonderful ColasRail 66's and an EWS 67 with some great sound, and have just aquired a 58 that is quite stunning, even when just sitting there idling or popping to itself.

I am after a 37 and a 47 soon for my 'Area 51' scottish project (named as such because i havnt got a name for it yet :laugh: ) along with some 26's (hence my origianl posting).

The 24 link was astounding and if i can get remotely close to that qualiy for the 26 (which should with a little work fit a 16 x 24 speaker, then i will be very happy.

cheers

Dave

My philosophy is that having multiple locos of the same class that I have different suppliers sound projects as real locos often sound slightly different.

As for 37 & 47 SWD are a good place to look/listen.

My philosophy is that having multiple locos of the same class that I have different suppliers sound projects as real locos often sound slightly different.

As for 37 & 47 SWD are a good place to look/listen.

Then perhaps you should check out Digitrains Zimo Class 37 Multi-Drive? Several different Class 37s, but on one decoder. Ring the changes as often as you wish! :D

Have a look at Casey Jones' class 37 vids.

Kind regards,

Paul

• 3 months later...

Hi guys,

Can i just add, that it is perfectly feasible to get sound into N gauge nowadays.

I am after a 37 and a 47 soon for my 'Area 51' scottish project (named as such because i havnt got a name for it yet :laugh: ) along with some 26's (hence my origianl posting).

The 24 link was astounding and if i can get remotely close to that qualiy for the 26 (which should with a little work fit a 16 x 24 speaker, then i will be very happy.

cheers

Dave

I have got the class 26 and the sounds (zimo and sugarcube) but can't really see how I can fit the speaker in without a lot of butchery in there! And a ESU ain't gonna do it either! Because the motor is mounted vertically it protrudes into the battery box compartment too far?

Will be taking it apart again tomorrow and have another look!

:-)

I have got the class 26 and the sounds (zimo and sugarcube) but can't really see how I can fit the speaker in without a lot of butchery in there! And a ESU ain't gonna do it either! Because the motor is mounted vertically it protrudes into the battery box compartment too far?

Will be taking it apart again tomorrow and have another look!

:-)

Which decoder did you get? New, very small Zimo out soon, MX648.

Paul

Hi

The problem is the lack of space for a decent speaker. I have the zimo decoder that is practically the same as the loksound micro.

Agree not much space in the 26 and thats not to say it cannot be done, will post a video of it when I have it finished. It will take a 16x25mm speaker.

I have not heard the Zimo 26 yet but I assume it will be as good as Pauls multi drive 37 which I will install in a farish 37 over the next month or so. I got a couple from Digitrains along with a couple class 55 a few months ago.

I was a little disappointed with the actual Zimo chip not the actual sound file which I think is great. It is ever so slightly bigger than actual measurements posted by Zimo again I will make do. Forget about memory and all that stuff 2 clear advantages the lok 4.0 has over the Zimo as far as I am concerned for n gauge, firstly a heavier gauge wire is used on the Zimo decoder no issue for OO but when real estate is at a premium in n gauge it is an issue for me. Second and this cannot be argued the Zimo only has 4 functions the lok 4.0 has 6 functions. Yes I know their will be a new decoder this is what I am currently working with.

Just on speakers I ordered some more sugar cubes as I thought the first one I tested years ago may have being faulty because so many people think they are the "bees knees" No, still not impressed with them but I will use it in my Farish 08.

Bifs 24 sound file is brilliant here it is in n gauge. This has the standard 16x25mm lok speaker. I have nearly finished 2 more 24s which will each have sound and 12 lighting functions each so full prototypical lighting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CrC4Out2rX8

I am after a 37 and a 47 soon for my 'Area 51' scottish project (named as such because i havnt got a name for it yet ) along with some 26's (hence my origianl posting).

Farish Class 47 with sound and modified lights lok 4.0.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avjxSTFTg9c

Farish Class 37 with DCC sound lok 4.0.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-EjyWBQRMU

Because the OP is DapolDave and I really dont want him to think Im all Farish here is Dapols Hymek with DCC sound lok 4.0.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zaJu8dj8rgE

Watch this space for Dapols 26 with sound.

Enjoy

Martin

Second and this cannot be argued the Zimo only has 4 functions the lok 4.0 has 6 functions. Yes I know their will be a new decoder this is what I am currently working with.

I'll argue - there are six on a MX646, the current small Zimo sound decoder. They are near enough identical to the LokSound v4 micro in this respect.

The manuals state 6 outputs on the ZImo MX646 in the data tables. The diagrams of the decoder show two outputs as wires, two solder pads near the wires and the centre two solder pads (Clock and Data) of the four for Susi output. The last two are "logic level", meaning they are 5v, adequate to directly drive a small LED, or can be stepped up with a transistor, or can be set to operate servo motors, or to talk to a Susi decoder (rather a silly idea if you already have a sound decoder to add another one !!).

Now, the most recent Zimo manual does not explicitly state on the MX646 diagram that the centre two outputs of the Susi pads are Fo3 and Fo4, but the table of data and the setup information says that's what they do, in common with any other current Zimo decoder.

The LokSound v4 micro has six outputs, four normal and two logic level. For lighting, this is the same as the Zimo MX646. The only difference on outputs I can see is the Zimo Servo facility.

- Nigel

Hi Nigel

Thank you, excellent for letting me know, after I purchased them, Digitrains advised me they were 4 function not 6. I had better contact them and advise them as I think they went and changed their web site after I questioned them on it. Had a look on page 10 of the latest Zimo manual, that then confirmed that they had removed logic outputs hence the reason I posted what I said. (Manual 15-07-2011)

Thats great with a slight mod I have a micro PCB board which I got manufactured in china which allows me to get easy access to stay alive plus AUX 3 + 4 from logic outputs. It is for the lok micro 4.0 but with a slight mod I can use it on the Zimo decoders.

Happy to be wrong on that one, Zimo need to fix manual.

Cheers

Martin

Martin,

Page 10 is inconsistent with published specification elsewhere in the manual (eg. Page 3). The German manual is also inconsistent, the English is translated fairly carefully from the German, but I don't think the translator does any checking against decoder behaviour. There are lots of places in the manual which say "nicht fur MX621" relating to higher function numbers, changing the Susi behaviour to function output or servo output, etc.. But they only say "nicht fur MX621", never any mention of MX646 or other decoders. I know the MX621 has a cut-down feature set, hence the announced MX622 which restores the features lost when the MX620 ceased production.

I don't have an MX646 infront of me to do a definitive test, but would be fairly easy if you have one to measure volts on the pad against decoder ground (not decoder blue!) with the outputs set to function outputs rather than Susi. I may be able to get my hands on one to check within the next two weeks.

Your PCB for LokSound logic outputs should fit easily onto ZImo; the two decoders seem very similar electrically.

Documentation for MX648 says 8 outputs. However, Zimo work on a different calendar to the rest of us, as it was due out in August, and I've heard nothing about them.

- Nigel

As the topic has arisen again it's probably worth mentioning that my Class 27 sound project is nearing completion. It has been created from the outset for the Loksound v4 chip so will feature 4 minutes of sound, various 'bi-directional' sounds (ones that are different in one direction compared to the other, just to add interest), variable-speed flange squeal (sounds prototypical at any speed, even down to a standstill), three different 'take-offs' from stationary (sedate, standard and thrash), improved driving response and so on. I'm hoping to post a video on my You Tube channel within the next two or three weeks along with the latest v4 version of my 66.

Martin,

Page 10 is inconsistent with published specification elsewhere in the manual (eg. Page 3). The German manual is also inconsistent, the English is translated fairly carefully from the German, but I don't think the translator does any checking against decoder behaviour. There are lots of places in the manual which say "nicht fur MX621" relating to higher function numbers, changing the Susi behaviour to function output or servo output, etc.. But they only say "nicht fur MX621", never any mention of MX646 or other decoders. I know the MX621 has a cut-down feature set, hence the announced MX622 which restores the features lost when the MX620 ceased production.

I don't have an MX646 infront of me to do a definitive test, but would be fairly easy if you have one to measure volts on the pad against decoder ground (not decoder blue!) with the outputs set to function outputs rather than Susi. I may be able to get my hands on one to check within the next two weeks.

Your PCB for LokSound logic outputs should fit easily onto ZImo; the two decoders seem very similar electrically.

Documentation for MX648 says 8 outputs. However, Zimo work on a different calendar to the rest of us, as it was due out in August, and I've heard nothing about them.

- Nigel

Nigel,

MX648 is in production and available. It will be launched this weekend.

I have brought two back with me from the DCC sound seminar in Leipzig this week. Should be great for 2mm modellers. Quite a bit smaller that MX646 and Lok micro.

I'll bring one to LYDCC show if you haven't seen one by then.

Martin,

I'll email you regarding MX646/648 shortly.

Kind regards,

Paul

Paul,

yes, please bring one along to L&YDCC show. My initial target for it is a Scalefour GER coffeepot from a HighLevelKit.

I'll be travelling up on Friday, probably doing initial demo setup Friday evening to prove the demo Kevin and I are bringing is working.

I'm hoping to learn a lot whilst there from the others who are down as demos/talks.

I must get back to making more cardboard signals for our demo !

- Nigel

Archived