the best 26 and 27 sound files available?

DapolDave

Marty Mc

Great work on those dcc sound conversions!

The problem I have withe the loksound is that there is much too much "hiss" with most of the sound files I have tried. Even when not set to full volume. The best loksound I have is a sulzer class 24.

The other problem is that the sound files are of such variable volume that this cannot be made up by just changing the output cv"s.

The zimo sugar cube option sounds so much more robust and has much more base and very little hiss with no distortion and masses of volume. The problem is I cannot use the sugar cube on the older loksounds due to the different speaker resistance (100ohms).

I too use a pcb board but until I have standardised the fit and done a few more dapols then I have retained the veroboard which I cut down and thin to suit the job.

Do you have to cut down the 16x25 speakers? They all seem too wide?

I am just about to take the 26 apart and see where I can fit the kit - do you ever have to remove the drive to one bogie to get this to work?

Pauliebanger

Good news on the smaller zimo chip - I much prefer the zimo driving qualities - look forward to getting one soon.......

Lego man

Seen many sound files by yourself and my comments on the loksound and variable quality output ,amplifier hiss keep me reluctant to invest further until I am satisfied ps these comments include the loksound v4 which I have 2. I can"t tell but maybe this is more apparent in the micro? But some great sounds......

Do you have a website or can I just pm you via the forum?

Now to butcher a class 26.....

As the topic has arisen again it's probably worth mentioning that my Class 27 sound project is nearing completion. It has been created from the outset for the Loksound v4 chip so will feature 4 minutes of sound, various 'bi-directional' sounds (ones that are different in one direction compared to the other, just to add interest), variable-speed flange squeal (sounds prototypical at any speed, even down to a standstill), three different 'take-offs' from stationary (sedate, standard and thrash), improved driving response and so on.

:sungum: :sungum: :sungum: :sungum: :sungum: :sungum: Now that you will have to demo at the L&Yddc show, please! kev

Hi

Thanks glad you enjoyed them.

The problem I have withe the loksound is that there is much too much "hiss" with most of the sound files I have tried. Even when not set to full volume. The best loksound I have is a sulzer class 24.

I usually set volume to 75% but that will just reduce part of the hiss. To reduce it even more the speaker must be fully sealed. When I seal a speaker I will use composites such as carbon fibre epoxies and keep the housing as stiff as possible. I wouldnt even consider using blutack or anything like that. I have in the past as a bit of a demo stood on my OO speaker boxs, thats how stiff they need to be.

Do you have to cut down the 16x25 speakers? They all seem too wide?

No, I machine body of loco and chassis sometimes I am left with a 0.05 wall thickness. Job needs to be fully supported to stop vibration.

am just about to take the 26 apart and see where I can fit the kit - do you ever have to remove the drive to one bogie to get this to work?

Never done that on any loco.

I have in the past eg Dapol 66 rebuilt the chassis from carbon fibre, not Dapols fault its just the shape of the roof that makes adding sound a nightmare. I leave all running gear in, cabs etc. In other words I modify what you cannot see. With the 26 Im not 100% sure, this may be another where I rebuild the chassis or 1/2 rebuild it????

No web site, people who are interested know how to find me, no drama to send pm.

Looking forward to that Bif, I have another 40 blanks coming in from the US and I will forward some on.

Paul yes please on the new decoder, I will buy a couple to trial. What am I doing wrong on the Zimo web site as I can never seem to get english when I look at decoder specs.

Cheers

Martin

dmeaden: Thanks for the comments. The hiss really annoys me too, hopefully they'll fix it one day. You get it no matter how good the signal to noise ratio of the source file is. Fortunately it's only really noticeable when the engine is turned off. I don't have a website yet but you can pm me and I'll give you my email address. Same goes for anyone else interested in any of my sounds.

kev: I'm more than happy to run the 27 sounds on Coppell for you at LYDCC but I might need to buy one; my 26 is the test bed for them at the moment. It won't be easy to demo both 26 & 27 with only one loco! I'll bring my v4 66 as well which I'm very pleased with.

marty: I'm really interested in your comments about using epoxy instead of blu-tac to seal enclosures. Have you done a side-by-side comparison, is there really that much difference? I know it's important in hifi cabinets but I wouldn't have thought it made much difference on this scale.

That's very kind of you to say. I'm very pleased how it's turned out. No contact from Cliff yet.

With so many projects for the v4 treatment it's difficult to know which to do first. The 37 is presently in works but it's a complete overhaul with new sounds. V4'd projects completed so far are; 26, 27, 33, 46, 66, 70, 350. All being well there will be a video of the 70 in the next few weeks and the 350 shortly after the Bachmann model appears.

Bif

The brand new Zimo MX648 will be available from Digitrains very shortly with Class 26 and Class 27 sounds, including manual notching.

They are already in production, I have a couple as previously mentioned.

You can hear part of the Class 26 sound project here (although it is shown in a 'OO' scale Class 37, sorry)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWIUURubuY0

The MX648 is tiny, at 20 x 11 x 4mm it is 5mm shorter than a LokMicro, but still has a 1W amp and six normal function outputs. Should fit easily into your 'N' stock.

Paul

Nice sounds and control Paul.

Nigel, all of my projects will get the v4 treatment including the 47, it's just a case of me plodding through them. Updating an existing project still involves quite a bit of work. The extra two minutes of space cries out to be filled so I have to revisit the original recordings each time and see what additional material can be extracted (eg did I record the horns at both ends of the loco, have I got more than one door slam / brake release sound etc etc). Then various tweaks can be done to improve responsiveness. And because it's early days I'm still coming up with new ideas and new ways of doing things so I'm constantly going back to v4 projects I've already 'completed' to improve them further. Just like a layout, a sound project is never completed....

3 x Class 27 videos posted yesterday for your perusal and delectation;

The 27 sounds fantastic Ian, even better than the 25 you put on one of my V4s. With the 37 in works now all I need is for you to do a 20 and 50 up to these standards and I'll be a very happy man indeed.

Cheers

David

Many thanks for that David. I haven't upgraded the 25 for v4 yet but I'm looking forward to doing it - I've got enough recorded material to make a good job of it. Currently on the v4 workbench is a brand new 37 (recorded at the Spa Valley Railway) which isn't too far away from release now. You might not have to wait too long for the 20 you desire either, I have two sets of top notch recordings in the bag.

Bif

• 1 month later...

Archived