GWR Autocoach Diag A30

I'm in the process of adapting the Dapol N GWR Autocoach to 2mmFS but have hit a dilemma with regards to the prototype bogies...

My research so far implies that the Diagram A30 Autocoach used the GWR 7ft plate bogie (Russel's Pictorial History of GW Coaches & Harris' GW Coaches from 1890). However, the Dapol model comes with 9ft bogies and I'm sure that I have come across a reference elsewhere (unfortunately I didn't note the reference) that appeared to support the use of the 9ft bogie.

Can anyone provide a definitive answer on the type of bogies used on the A30 Autocoach?

I look forward to any assistance this forum can provide, thanks

Steve

The A30 had 9 ft wb bogies. The A28, which is very similar in many respects to the A30, had 7 ft wb bogies. The principal differences between the two diagrams apart from that were that the A30 had recessed driver's doors and flush glazing while the A28 had flush driver's doors and recessed glazing.

Further reading: "Alternative trailers" by Mike Clark and the late Mike Jolly, MRJ 9. This is as thorough an account of doing up the Airfix 4mm trailer as it gets. Also vol 2 of "Great Western Auto Trailers" by John Lewis.

Chris

Chris

Many thanks for your prompt answer; I don't have any specific reference works on the auto trailers and it appears that in this instance Russell has let me down :blink: I've been back through the images and now that I know what to look for it seems to fit into place. The Dapol model doesn't manage to reproduce any of the flush glazing at all so I'll have to live with this for the time being, but the recessed drivers door is there - overall the model does match the general appearance and proportions/sizes for the A30.

I'll try and dig out the MRJ reference from the club's library tomorrow night and hopefully I'll be able to scale this article down to 2mm.

Thanks again

Steve

Gordon

Thanks for the advisory. I've had a quick look at the Shawplan site, but couldn't see anything that related to 2mm/N gauge flushed glazing. I suspect that wishing for an off-the-shelf solution for flush glazing the Dapol Autocoach may be somewhat optomistic, but I live in hope... ;)

Archived