Looking for Lord Salisbury

• RMweb Gold

I'm hoping that someone could very kindly point me in the right direction for one or two decent photos (B/W or colour) of the Peckett 0-6-0ST 'Lord Salisbury' that used to work at Norton Hill Colliery (and previously at Frog Lane Colliery, near Coalpit Heath), please.

I am aware of the B/W photo in 'The Somerset & Dorset in the 1950s' (Ivo Peters, OPC), and also that in 'Somerset & Dorset Steam Finale' (Michael Welch, Runpast) and finally that in 'On Somerset & Dorset Lines' (Robotham, Ian Allen).

Just wondered if there are any more out there?

Many thanks.

(also posted in 'Help and Advice' section)

There's one on p66 of Somerset & Dorset Joint Railway: a view from the past by Stephen Austin. Another one in Ivo Peters' ...An English Cross Country Railway may be the same as that in ...in the 1950's, but I don't have the latter to check. It shows the saddle tank with 53810.

Nick

• RMweb Gold

Nick - thanks very much for the two references. I've got both books and have found the photos. I always seem to overlook the Stephen Austin volume for some reason, although it's got some really interesting shots in it. The photo in the original Ivo Peters book is a little distant, as compared with some of the other photos available, but it's still useful for the overall shape and general arrangement. I haven't got the Collieries book you mention, but will check a copy out when I can.

Thanks again.

• RMweb Gold

Hi

The Colour of Steam Vol2 The Somerset & Dorset Line by R C Riley ISBN 0 906899 12 5 has a nice colour photo.

Regards

Roger

Thanks Roger, as it happens, I do have that book and following a prompt from the same thread in the 'Help' section, I remembered that I had it on the bookshelf and found the photo, which is admittedly splendid.

Hi CK. "The Somerset & Dorset Railway 1935 - 1966" from the Norman Lockett Archive has a shot of Lord Salisbury

next to the main line at Norton Hill Colliery with 53810 beside it - Page 170. This book has only been available

for a couple of years so may not be as well known as some of the other volumes mentioned.

Jim

• 2 weeks later...

And another :rolleyes: Colin Maggs Memories of the S&D has a nice b&w side view but you probably have enough now!!

Roger

The book is actually called 'Life on the Bath to Bournemouth Line' now I have got off my backside and gone and looked rather than trusting to ageing memory!!! :(

• RMweb Gold

And another :rolleyes: Colin Maggs Memories of the S&D has a nice b&w side view but you probably have enough now!!

Roger

The book is actually called 'Life on the Bath to Bournemouth Line' now I have got off my backside and gone and looked rather than trusting to ageing memory!!! :(

Thanks Roger, I do have that one, but hadn't checked it, will do so shortly!

• 2 weeks later...

Robin Atthill's" Picture History of the Somerset & Dorset" has a picture of Lord Salisbury with 53810 passing on a train of vans behind it so I suspect its the same one as in the Ivo Peters book and probably similar to Norman Locketts picture as Ivo and Norman were often on photo shoots together.

I have seen quite a few pictures of Frog Lane Colliery where Lord Salisbury was until 1949 but none have had Lord Salisbury or any other loco in them .

• RMweb Gold

Robin Atthill's" Picture History of the Somerset & Dorset" has a picture of Lord Salisbury with 53810 passing on a train of vans behind it so I suspect its the same one as in the Ivo Peters book and probably similar to Norman Locketts picture as Ivo and Norman were often on photo shoots together.

I have seen quite a few pictures of Frog Lane Colliery where Lord Salisbury was until 1949 but none have had Lord Salisbury or any other loco in them .

Thanks for that, Richard.

I'm also interested in the mention of photos of Frog Lane Colliery (with or without Lord Salisbury photos ;) ), because that is the reason I'm planning a model of Lord Salisbury (which in my parallel universe would have remained at a still-open Frog Lane pit and would have had running rights into Callow Lane... (aka New Engine Yard)...

'Steam Locomotives In Industry' by the Industrial Locomotive Society, David & Charles 1967 (no ISBN number), has a good b+w right hand side photo of Lord Salisbury taken in 1964.

Of no use for modelling, and hardly worth seeking out, but mentioned out of interest, Industrial Steam Album (first volume) by Fox and King has a photo of Lord Salisbury (barely visible) and train being helped out by S+D 2-8-0 53809.

Thanks for that, Richard.

I'm also interested in the mention of photos of Frog Lane Colliery (with or without Lord Salisbury photos ;) ), because that is the reason I'm planning a model of Lord Salisbury (which in my parallel universe would have remained at a still-open Frog Lane pit and would have had running rights into Callow Lane... (aka New Engine Yard)...

Hi Captain

The best source of pictures of Frog Lane Colliery I have found is John Cornwell's book "The Bristol Coalfield" published in 2003 by Landmark as part of the Landmark Collectors Library ISBN 1 84306 0949 .

There does not seem to be an aweful lot of published material on the colliieries of Bristol and South Gloucestershire, certainly not as much as the Somerset pits probably because most closed fairly early on . It may however also be worth trying to contact the Bristol Industrial Archaelogical Society as I know they have done a lot of work on the mines in and around Bristol which I suspect has been published in their own magazines.

On the subject of Frog Lane pit I came across a reference the other day that the Cornish Beam Engine installed there remained in situ right up to when the pit closed in 1949.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks both Richard and Paul for those tips - I'll check them out in due course. It would be good to have some archive photos of Frog Lane Colliery to put on the display boards for 'Callow Lane' when the time comes.

Thanks both Richard and Paul for those tips - I'll check them out in due course. It would be good to have some archive photos of Frog Lane Colliery to put on the display boards for 'Callow Lane' when the time comes.

I purchased a back copy of British Railway Journal this week to get an article that appeared in it on the Oakhill Brewery Railway which I am currently researching and when it arrived in the post today it also contained an advert for a book on Frog Lane Colliery ISBN 13 9781899889 33 4 entitled Frog Lane Colliery Sixty Years On published by Lightmoor Press in conjunction with the South Gloucestershire Mining Research Group.

I have not heard of this book before although the Brisol and North Somerset Coalfield is one of my interests so I have ordered a copy . Will post again if there is anything on Lord Salisbury or otherwise general colliery pictures of interest therein when it arrives.

I purchased a back copy of British Railway Journal this week to get an article that appeared in it on the Oakhill Brewery Railway which I am currently researching and when it arrived in the post today it also contained an advert for a book on Frog Lane Colliery ISBN 13 9781899889 33 4 entitled Frog Lane Colliery Sixty Years On published by Lightmoor Press in conjunction with the South Gloucestershire Mining Research Group.

I have not heard of this book before although the Brisol and North Somerset Coalfield is one of my interests so I have ordered a copy . Will post again if there is anything on Lord Salisbury or otherwise general colliery pictures of interest therein when it arrives.

The book arrived in the post this morning and has two very good pictures of Lord Salisbury at Frog Lane Colliery in it .

There are not that many surface pictures of the colliery but some very good underground stuff - the couple of shots of the unusual shaft cage being particularly interesting.

• 2 years later...

Hello There - only three years after your original posting!

I have been doing lots of research on the Frog Lane Railway and last year we found an excellent Postcard image of Lord Salisbury outside the FL weighbridge

This was published in an article called Steam and Diesil at Frog Lane in Archive a couple of years ago

Lots more info on FL layout too - strongly recommend you buy 60 years on - it has the track diagrams in it

Rgds

• RMweb Gold

Hello There - only three years after your original posting!

I have been doing lots of research on the Frog Lane Railway and last year we found an excellent Postcard image of Lord Salisbury outside the FL weighbridge

This was published in an article called Steam and Diesil at Frog Lane in Archive a couple of years ago

Lots more info on FL layout too - strongly recommend you buy 60 years on - it has the track diagrams in it

Rgds

Thanks - I'll certainly look into that!

Archived