PO wagon transfers

:help: I have a PO wagon to letter, for which I have ordered the appropriate waterslide transfers from the nice people at Parkside Dundas. Now I've used waterslide transfers before for such as company lettering and numbers, these in themselves being relatively small, whereas I envisage the PO wagon transfers being "whole side". So I wonder does anyone have any advice, tips or wrinkles to ensure success with what I envisage will be a quite large transfer. Something I,ve done in the past (mainly due to an awkward shape to work around) was to cut the transfer up into several parts - this being the diagonal stripes on a 7mm scale diesel bufferbeam, a little fiddly but quite effective. I do have some "microsol" & "microset" to hand for the project.

Any good dodges would be most welcome.

John.

I've done one or two in the past, both waterslide and rub down, and had better results from Modelmasters transfers than the rub ons.I don't recall any particular problems with them, but I seem to remember cutting some to make fitting a bit easier. The usual softeners and setters were used to get them to sit nicely into the surface. I found that any irregularities could be hidden by weathering or plank replacement, but then I am modelling at the tail end of their lives, and mine are excersises in distressing rather than anything else. Attached is a cruel close-up of one of the transfer wagons.

post-2642-0-12071300-1307562898_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I've done one or two in the past, both waterslide and rub down, and had better results from Modelmasters transfers than the rub ons.I don't recall any particular problems with them, but I seem to remember cutting some to make fitting a bit easier. The usual softeners and setters were used to get them to sit nicely into the surface. I found that any irregularities could be hidden by weathering or plank replacement, but then I am modelling at the tail end of their lives, and mine are excersises in distressing rather than anything else. Attached is a cruel close-up of one of the transfer wagons.

post-2642-0-12071300-1307562898_thumb.jpg

Thanks for that Ben, sorry for not replying earlier but I've not been on here for a while. Very nice job on your well worn PO wagon, I have a few meant to look in this condition but yours really looks the part. The one I'm about to do is for an earlier period so will have to look reasonably smart. I have made a slight gaff though as the wagon I was going to letter is too short, so I'm now on the lookout for a 16'6" 7 plank side door only.

Thanks again John.

Archived