7mm NG on 9mm track.

Penrice09

I am in the thinking stage of building a small 7mm NG layout using 9mm gauge track, representing 15" gauge.

Does anyone have experience of building the ‘Avalon’ Freelance Steam Tram?

Where can I obtain the recommended chassis, a Farish Ref No: 1109, or is an alternative suitable, also is it a good slow runner?

If I should decide to use Peco 009 track, would the sleeper spacing require modifying?

Sorry for the questions but would welcome advice.

• RMweb Gold

Hi, although I've not built any Avalon kits myself, they do seem to go together quite well and will a bit of detailing they do look pretty good.

Some of the wagons by both Avalon and BlackDog are also worth looking at. Not sure about the motor bogie though - is this motor from the HST?

The Peco 009 track is fine as it is as far as I am concerned. With painting and ballasting looks good.

Have you checked out the book 'Going Minimum Gauge' published by the 7mm Narrow Gauge Association?

• RMweb Premium

Have you checked out the book 'Going Minimum Gauge' published by the 7mm Narrow Gauge Association?

Sadly no longer available - there was some talk a few years ago when I was on the Committee that a revised version was being planned but regrettably a very busy job and a spell of ill health have prevented Howard Martin (Avalon) from making much progress with the revisions to this publication.

One of the foremost O9 modellers is Colin Peake and I recommend that you look at his O9 Modeller pages here http://o9modeller.blogspot.com/ He has commented on the amount of O9 that was on display, both layouts and trade with new products, at the 7mmNGA Show at Burton last month.

Hope that helps

Mike

ive done quite abit of avalon rolling stock and they are pretty good.

its sad to find that the book isnt available because it has some great "to scale" plans of varoius 15" locos, carraiges and wagons

and isnt there a company called dyna drive currently developing an "09" kit for a heywood katie?

Sorry for the questions but would welcome advice.

I can do no better than recommend joining http://ngrm-online.com where there are far more people who will have experience of the things you are interested in.

Chassis wise you might want to keep an eye out for the 009 Society second hand stand at narrow gauge exhibitions, Brian carries vast amounts of stock and offers a 'want' service for things that aren't presently in stock.

Archived