Speedometer cable - Railroad A4

• RMweb Premium

In case anyone else is wary of trying...

I bought a Hornby Railroad A4 Falcon (R2779) for my (very young) son. His layout is DCC but he wanted a blue livery so I took the plunge and bought Falcon in LNER garter blue, which was DCC ready. Surprise surprise, it has what I assume is a speedometer cable attachment even though in LNER livery. My heart sank - I've broken too many speedometer cables when detaching a loco body to fit a decoder not to want to try again. I didn't spot it until I had detached the body, and found it wasn't detached!

Anyway, to cut the story short, I managed to fit the decoder without detaching the speedometer cable. Lift the body up carefully and tilt it over - but not too far. Remove the blanking plate, use a magnifying glass to see where the orange wire is (top left when looking forward along the body), press in the decoder and then refit the body. So be reassured if you take care, with this model at least it can be done.

Does anyone know of any other steam loco models where this can be done?

Incidentally, I couldn't get a Hornby R8249 decoder at the time, so fitted a Bachmann 36-553, and I can confirm it works a treat.

Archived