OO8 woody bay and locos

• RMweb Gold

Following a visit to the l&b with the other half last weekend, she has talked me into building a model of woody bay station in it's preserved layout.

Given it's small Size it lends it's self to being built alongside my main 1998 project, and the new challenge of building small etched locos really appeals.

I have done a fair bit of research so far and found Moses of the l&b stock, I'm going to go with a near future setting (assuming the new coaches are built) and add a few extra wagons. But will also try and accurately model all the stock currently on site

Loco wise Ive found kits for the two locos for which replicas are built/ under construction

But I would also like the Joffre class Axe and the hunslett 4wDH Hedden Hall, for which I haven't yet found anything. Does anyone know of anything suitable?

Given the l&b was ~2ft gauge I am planning to use scratch built 8mm gauge track and build to my usual P4 standards

How difficult is it to convert oo9 kits to the narrower gauge, and is there trade support for back to backs, track gauges etc?

the Late Lynden Emery was involved in developing a set of standards for a 'proto 60cm' gauge (1ft 11 5/8ths as per the Ffestiniog, Welsh Highland and the reconstructed L&B rather than 2ft)

If I recall correctly, the track standards were based around using 2mm Finescale components and a track gauge of 7.89mm

I believe the project was backed by the S4 Society so they may have some documentation to give you a starting point...

As for rolling stock it would really depend on the individual kit. Coaches and Wagons will mostly just be a case of replacing the wheel sets, but any Loco that is designed for a R-T-R n-gauge chassis will almost certainly need a new narrower chassis scratch-building to suit.

Your best bet for P2 is to to use modified 2mm finescale track standards, but it is not going to be easy modifying commercial items, wheels sets do not exist easily "off the shelf,", and track gauges will be needed, but hardly a complex issue if you make them yourself. C&L now do code 40 rail section, which may be of use.

Standards are really for inter running with other layouts, but your going to be very much one your own in 8mm, so a simple table of back to back, points standards etc., is all you really need to keep consistency for good running.

Most 009 kits, bodies, coaches and bogie sides could be used, but some locos chassis are going to need serious attention, reduced thickness, wheels adjusted or replaced, and general better scaling of the details.

However If you are used to P4 then all of this should be straightforward.

The other alternative is to continue with 9mm, but use the finest track standards from 2mm, with scale L&B sleeper arrangements, looks reasonable, but not quite scale. At least near un-modified stock would run, most N Gauge has fine flanges now, and can with care, run on fine scale 9 mm track.

The key to all of this is the overall appearance, the best layouts do not shout their standards, it is all in the detailing and careful considered scenery and setting that gives the layout life, not the track width, (and yes, I model P4/S4 !!).

Stephen.

• RMweb Gold

Part of the appeal of this project in my mind is the challenge of something different

And it's going to be a very slow process building it.

That said there is certainly some logic of using 9mm track and building to p4 standards

Given that with the exception of a couple of rtr rewheels/detail my steam experience is zero (that said I have built etched kits, and do have a couple of chassis on the to build pile

I think the best bet is going to be adding a simple 2 axle steam loco as an extra to my planed fleet and use that as a trial run. Another option I guess is trying to get an rtr n chassis running on narrower track on a test plank.

I see that backwoods do a couple of 'easier' locos that could serve the purpose

Of course you are right that it's the overall look that is key not the gauge

But I would also like the Joffre class Axe and the hunslett 4wDH Hedden Hall, for which I haven't yet found anything. Does anyone know of anything suitable?

Hi, The Joffre which AXE is converted from is available as a 009 white metal body kit designed to fit a Roco 0-6-0 chassis from Chivers, via Parkside Dundas. The Hunslet, well to my knowledge, nobody does a kit yet for this particular prototype.

If your looking at L&B, then you should have a look at http://www.009.cd2.com/ by JdF, John knows all there is to know about L&B!!

All the best,

Matt Chivers.

• 2 months later...

Hi, The Joffre which AXE is converted from is available as a 009 white metal body kit designed to fit a Roco 0-6-0 chassis from Chivers, via Parkside Dundas. The Hunslet, well to my knowledge, nobody does a kit yet for this particular prototype.

If your looking at L&B, then you should have a look at http://www.009.cd2.com/ by JdF, John knows all there is to know about L&B!!

All the best,

Matt Chivers.

There is an L&B-dedicated modelling discussion group on http://groups.yahoo....staple_modeling of which JdF is a member, and features a recently-built 009 model of AXE:

Axe+again.jpg

by Tony Peart.

regards,

Martyn

• RMweb Premium

Paul Holmes ... I believe his layout was called "Berty-Y-Gest" or something similar ...

It was Borth Y Gest.

A quick internet search will bring up several photos and a video clip or two of it.

The layout featured in Narrow Gauge & Industrial a while ago.

Cheers,

Dave.

I have recently seen, for the second time in fact, a small L shaped 4mm scale NG layout built with 2mm fine scale standard track. It was a freelance Welsh layout incorporating elements of the Corris and FR. It was built about 15 years ago now by the mother of a recent new junior member to the 009 Essex Group. (Yes that’s correct it was built be his mother before and before he was born!) His father is a 2mm fine scale modeller and that is why the same track standards were used. The last time I saw this layout was when it was new at the only exhibition it has ever been to in Southend-on-Sea.

Pete Wilson’s superb large slate quarry layout ‘Chwarel Cwm Bach’ was built in the 1980’s with 8mm gauge track. Pete has many, if not all of the locos and much rolling stock from this layout. But the layout itself, after years of storage and many attempts to find it a home, sadly ended its days in rubbish skip a few years ago now. Many of the buildings also survive.

Pete used his own scratch built chassis and several narrowed N gauge ones as well including Arnold, Roco and GF chassis.

Brian Meldon

Pete Wilson’s superb large slate quarry layout ‘Chwarel Cwm Bach’ was built in the 1980’s with 8mm gauge track.

Pete used his own scratch built chassis and several narrowed N gauge ones as well including Arnold, Roco and GF chassis.

Brian Meldon

I would ask Pete, as Brian says, he's scratch built & modified N gauge chassis. He should be at ExpoNG in Swanley on the 29th of October

http://www.expong.org/

• 3 months later...

pete did not only scratch build chassis' for the 008 locos in his collection but having seen them up close numerous times and spoken to the venerable one about them some of the larger locos are indeed mounted on narrowed proprietry chassis but with all the standard motors replaced with more reliable and smoother operating ones.

Dan.

Archived