Some of my CAD projects

Hi all,

Just putting some pictures of my CAD projects, got an order with Shapeways to have these printed in FUD - actually some have already been printed but then there are the design changes...

First up is my K3 - this has been bobbing around the forum on and off for awhile now. Currently MK2 version is sitting on my desk with MK3 on order. I'm trying to decide if I'm going to use a Farish V2 or Dapol B1 chassis for this... I might try on of each and see how they go!!

post-943-0-93022600-1308002633_thumb.jpg

Next is an LNER Dia.120 'Pigeon Van' again MK1 version is on my desk but with some small breakages on the underframe. MK2 is on order with beefed up details.

post-943-0-13285600-1308002652_thumb.jpg

Next my experiment with a printed coach bogie - on order.

post-943-0-28878600-1308002661_thumb.jpg

Another experiment, this time a signal post. I've got this on my work bench, very good with 0.3mm latices, just need to figure out how to make a working example!

post-943-0-91318100-1308002642_thumb.jpg

Finally a printed LNER C1 in SLA, not the most detailed model every. I'll most likely get this redone in FUD with the intention of using a Jubilee or Scot chassis to power it.

post-943-0-58764300-1308002673_thumb.jpg

That's all for now. Hope everyone is enjoying the new group as much as I am!

Thanks for the replies guys.

Tom, yes I've got my initial FUD order. Overall quite impressed not quite up to the standard of some other non-shapeways processes but an awful lot cheaper! Against other Shapeways materials it is easily the best in terms of smoothness and detail definition.

Kris, the underframe has had the V hangers, brake gear and foot steps beefed up to make them more robust.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm waiting for my revised models to arrive from Shapeways so in the mean time I've been working on a new model.

Below is a picture of the body for a Gresley non corridor 51ft full break. I've got to work on the chassis (including a close coupling system!) which I hope I can use for a range of 51ft stock including a third, first, composit and third brake.

post-943-0-75925900-1309422122_thumb.jpg

Please let me know what you think.

Thanks for the comments guys!

Sailor, I'm going to be interested too! The pigeon van came out okish - I've got the MK2 version on order at the moment. My biggest concern over the 51footer is the length of the chassis hopefully it won't warp to badly!

Alistair, I use Alibre Design many don't get on with it but I couldn't live without it. You can do many of the things that Solid Works can offer if you give the design a bit of thought first. :D

• 3 weeks later...

Got a package through from Shapeways yesterday (only six weeks after I ordered it!!! lol).

Some nice bits in it unfortunately the revised Pigeon Van and K3 suffered printing errors and have therefore been rendered unusable... :(

However the Gresley bogies and bogie brick wagon came out fine (although the brick wagon's body was a little warped...).

I've forgotten to take any pictures of the Gresley bogies but the brick wagon is included below. The dimond frame bogies are also 3D printed to my own design and feature NEM pockets as well as being extremely free running!

post-943-0-91490800-1310770938_thumb.jpg

Unfortunately the brake handle's suffered some breakages which will need a slight redesign to beef them up but otherwise I'm happy with the model and hope to make it available through Shapeways in the near future pending some resin kits of other subjects.

• 3 weeks later...

While I'm waiting for some more Shapeways prints (for Atsocad Models - see Small Suppliers Forum) I've been playing with another LNER 51ft variant. This one is a full third, although I'm not happy with parts of it yet.

post-943-0-99337400-1312155631_thumb.jpg

Interesting Steve, LNER always good in my book. Out of interest when you say there were printing problems from you previous post did you mean from your own error or from Shapeways. How is this dealt with as if they send you a faulty product surely there must be some recourse to have the correct CAD drawing printed? or maybe not...

Tom

Interesting Steve, LNER always good in my book. Out of interest when you say there were printing problems from you previous post did you mean from your own error or from Shapeways. How is this dealt with as if they send you a faulty product surely there must be some recourse to have the correct CAD drawing printed? or maybe not...

Tom

I've always found Shapeways customer services to be superb if you do have any problems with faulty/damaged prints. Usual disclaimer etc.

Thanks guys!

Tom, Shapeways is reprinting this as we speak at their own expense. As Red Devil said you can't fault their customer service!

Mr Devil, thanks for the comments. I've got a C11 but the wheelbase is too short (better for an L1) along with the cylinders being too high and the chassis would need cutting back to fit the body. As the original idea was to kit this offering a simple body swap that the relative novice would feel comfortable dealing with - the more work involve the less sellable the kit??? Was it you who was building a K3 on a C11 chassis back in the days of the old forum?

I've been busy this morning knocking out another two 51ft body types in under six hours!

post-943-0-83290300-1312239228_thumb.jpg

post-943-0-02961400-1312239255_thumb.jpg

Mr Devil, thanks for the comments. I've got a C11 but the wheelbase is too short (better for an L1) along with the cylinders being too high and the chassis would need cutting back to fit the body. As the original idea was to kit this offering a simple body swap that the relative novice would feel comfortable dealing with - the more work involve the less sellable the kit??? Was it you who was building a K3 on a C11 chassis back in the days of the old forum?

Yeah, that was me! I have history with K3 s, built one years ago in 4mm from V1 and B17 parts, before Bachmann thought of theirs, I've been involved with Leeds tram models for a while now and managed to keep pretty much on one subject, which is a first for me, although I am giving serious thought to doing an EM1/76 in 2 and 3mm for printing in FUD, 3mm because I like the scale and it's a bit different plus the Halling chassis that I used for several of my trams are very easily regauged to both 12 or 14.2 mm and one of the variable wheelbases is correct for an EM1, way back on the list of things to do but I quite fancy the idea of Woodhead in 3mm.

Yeah, that was me! I have history with K3 s, built one years ago in 4mm from V1 and B17 parts, before Bachmann thought of theirs, I've been involved with Leeds tram models for a while now and managed to keep pretty much on one subject, which is a first for me, although I am giving serious thought to doing an EM1/76 in 2 and 3mm for printing in FUD, 3mm because I like the scale and it's a bit different plus the Halling chassis that I used for several of my trams are very easily regauged to both 12 or 14.2 mm and one of the variable wheelbases is correct for an EM1, way back on the list of things to do but I quite fancy the idea of Woodhead in 3mm.

Ahh I thought that was you. Likewise I built a K3 when I was 15 (half a lifetime ago now!) out of a V1 chassis, B17 body (with new boiler) and J39 tender. Mine wasn't the best model in the world but it looked the part! I always liked Mad Martin's LNER page, he (they?) were going to do a K3 using this method but if it happened it never made it onto the webpage...

Good luck with the EM1, I've found that the simplicity of a 'box on wheels' like that is deceptive! Then again looking at your trams I think you can get it right!

I'm off the find my C11 chassis - despite my reservations about the wheelbase, etc and see what would need to be done to get it to fit the K3 body. C11's seem to be a 'cheaper' Kato offering too!!!

quintuple-decker formation

Gresley's little known design! Also in the pipeline was the 'V' formation and the dive attack formation. None of these made it off the drawing board due to the restrictive nature of the LNER loading guage!!! :laugh:

In all serious though, I've been consulting with some reference books and other than the articulated twins I can't find any evidence that the single coaches ran in a set formation - some please come forward and prove otherwise, this information would be a gem!

According to 'Gresley's Coaches' by Michael Harris the twins ran in the following formation:

Brake Third - Third

Third - Third

Third - Brake Third

Please note however that there were many variations on the twin coach theme including First-Third and First-Composite types so these would just be a representation of some of the sets. Also, I would have thought that the twins could be found attached to single coaches and all the coaches could be found as strengthening coaches in other fomations.

• 4 weeks later...

The LNER Suburban set so far...

post-943-0-21483200-1312415907_thumb.jpg

These coaches look absolutely amazing! What are the chances of these becoming commercially available anytime soon?

I'm a diehard GCR fan and these coaches would find a place of honour on my LEICESTER CENTRAL stud.

Keep up the great work on these coaches and I'm eager for further progress updates.

Guest Max Stafford

I'm not quite sure what's going on here, but it looks extremely interesting, particularly when I see K3s and various Gresley second-line stock.

Are these CADs going to take physical form then?

Dave.

I'm not quite sure what's going on here, but it looks extremely interesting, particularly when I see K3s and various Gresley second-line stock.

Are these CADs going to take physical form then?

Dave.

3D Printing Dave - Atso's printed a few of these off in plastic and various other materials. Terrific work, Atso! Very much like the look of the Pigeon Van - any chance of a scaling up to 4mm? ;)

Hi Guys, thanks for the comments!

hadrian9637, the Pigeon Van will hopefully be available by the end of this year. The suburban stock is still very much in development with the bodies and bogies being near completion but the chassis still needs some work. Also interiors need to be created so hopefully the suburbans will be available some time early next year (need to get the pigeon van out first!!!).

Dave, as Simon has said I've already printed several models, the Pigeon Van is in its third (and hopefully final) carnation. I've got two of the K3 bodies printed but they need further work to sit low enough on a chassis - although I'm looking at building my own now for this. Also the brick wagon has been printed again to strengthen the break hangers, I'll be painting this one up soon.

Simon, thanks for the positive feedback. Unfortunately due to the Pigeon Van's availability in 4mm (Chivers Finelines and Isinglass) I won't be making this one available in the larger scale - doesn't mean I won't be considering 4mm in the future though!

Archived