New Tramway Proposed for the Isle of Wight

PLD

A new "Isle of Wight Tramway Company" has been formed and are proposing to construct a tramway between Sandown, Newport and Cowes using the former railway alignment (now mostly cycle/footpaths).

They are apparently proposing to use the 'Translohr' system which uses rubber tyred wheels on a concrete/tarmac pathway with a single double-sided central guide rail. The system, developed by a French firm is in reallity more guided bus than tram (but one that can not stray from the guideway) and is already in use in Clermont-Ferrand (France) Padua and Venice (Italy) with apparently mixed results...

Tranzwight Website

Isle of Wight Press Article

• RMweb Premium

I welcome sensible proposals to increase public transport provivion and reduce dependency on the private car. I have taken a look at the IoW proposal as it currently stands.

The intent is good. The Island needs relief to some chronic traffic problems in a few critical areas one of which is Newport. As the centre of the Island's road network and the nominal Capital it is very much case of somewhere all roads lead to and suffers regular gridlock with its consequent impact upon bus services.

Most of the line of route between Cowes and Sandown is a cycle-way along the former rail alignment; the northern portion between Newport and Cowes is popular and avoids a very busy and in places rather narrow main road. The southern section which runs from the approximate location of Shide station to the edge of Sandown is much less used though is a beautifully tranquil ride (or stroll) through open countryside.

There is not a lot of intermediate traffic potential; the three towns are about all there is along the route.

I cannot help but feel that the proposal is over-optimistic. It might be workable between Newport and Cowes but the development costs applied to a shorter section become higher per kilometre. I suspect there is not sufficient traffic on the Newport - Sandown route to justify such an operation. The present bus service offers regular departures and is not one of the busiest of Island routes. All Island bus fares are considered high but that reflects the costs of service provision to an offshore island as much as anything.

I wish the project well but feel that it is not the best solution for at least the southern part of the corridor.

Archived