Hornby eastcoast HST

carl1967

I'm not sure how true this is, but I have heard that Hornby have a policy of lightening colours by 15-20% to make them "scale colour". It may well be just a rumour but it would seem to apply here and it also applies to the new ScotRail 156, which is horribly pale and spoils an otherwise very attractive livery. Compare it with Bachmann's 170, which I think is spot on. Whatever the reason, it's very frustrating when otherwise nice models are spoiled by inaccurate colours. I've spent hours respraying Hornby InterCity Mk 3s to get rid of that horrible "yellow" pale grey.

Dave

I have been equally disappointed with Hornby's colour matching on modern image stock. They are not comparing well at all when you view them against Bachmann products in identical liveries. The ScotRail(Class 156) and FGW "neon" (HST set and coaches)are too pale a shade of blue by far. The real paint is a mix of purple and deep blue correctly done on the Bachmann Class 166 and Class 57 limited edition.

Curiously a previous FGW HST release from Hornby with the gold trim has a much more accurate shade of blue. So why the change in hue? If you run mixed FGW HST rakes as was the case in real life the difference is glaringly apparent.

The Hornby Arriva X Country HST set is finished in plain grey while the full size version is in a metallic finish. If Bachmann can get it right on the Voyager units how come Hornby can't?

The new (formerly Airfix/Dapol etc.) Mk2ds (R4462/R4463/R4464) just released in Intercity Swallow livery are nice but finished in a very non standard pale brown beige colour on the lower sides. Previous Hornby releases (HST,225,Mk4S)have been finished in the correct light executive grey but the new releases are nowhere near the correct colour. They do look a bit better under artificial light but not in natural daylight. Maybe there is a clue in that!

The white element of the red/white duplex striping is slightly on the narrow side which is noticeable when mixed with other coaching stock, so mine are off to the workshop for a makeover. The roof and coach ends are correctly done in black (very dark grey) although the connecting end doors would benefit from a touch of red paint as they are also finished in black.

The couplings are unchanged from previous releases and would benefit from a revamp as a full 8mm gap results between coaches. I changed mine for the narrower style of replacement plug in couplings and the gap is halved imediately and look a a lot better as well.

On the second class open version(SO),printed next to the doors is a yellow disc below an orange square. The orange square represents the door warning light but I have not seen the yellow disc before.

David

Archived