Hornby eastcoast HST

carl1967

Hi all

I was just wondering what everybody thinks about the new East Coast Livery colours!

Hornby have done it a bright silver and its not the right silver to me. The real sets have a lot of blue in the silver and its not just the way the light is shining on it.

I see them every day.

What are your thoughts??

Carl

post-6809-0-42180800-1308071827_thumb.jpg

Just a thought, could the difference in colour possibly be down to a layer of muck, grime and squashed bugs? Your one looks very nice though!

No, I studied it very closely at Perth station, I even cleaned and polished a bit up and its got lots of blue tint to it.

this is how close my camara got!

http://youtu.be/JX_x3quYSF4

I'm not sure how true this is, but I have heard that Hornby have a policy of lightening colours by 15-20% to make them "scale colour". It may well be just a rumour but it would seem to apply here and it also applies to the new ScotRail 156, which is horribly pale and spoils an otherwise very attractive livery. Compare it with Bachmann's 170, which I think is spot on. Whatever the reason, it's very frustrating when otherwise nice models are spoiled by inaccurate colours. I've spent hours respraying Hornby InterCity Mk 3s to get rid of that horrible "yellow" pale grey.

Dave

Guest Illustrious37

I think it looks far too light, nearer to the East Coast Silver on Class 91/Mk 4 sets. Hornby also have this annoying habit of painting radiator grills Black as on this release.

• 1 month later...

Rather ironically one of the power cars modelled in the pack - 43300 - is the first EC power car to get repainted in a different livery. It emerged from Brush about a week ago in plain grey with a purple stripe, black roof (including the cab) and black nameplates

Rather ironically one of the power cars modelled in the pack - 43300 - is the first EC power car to get repainted in a different livery. It emerged from Brush about a week ago in plain grey with a purple stripe, black roof (including the cab) and black nameplates

just like 43308

post-6809-0-84916800-1311531299_thumb.jpg

I wondered if they had black rooves - couldn't decide if it was painted so or just dirty! Which I guess is the reason why they're painting bits black!

Been down to the station this evening to have a look at 43308. So far as I could tell in the artificial lighting, the cab roof is black and the rest of the roof dark grey. I think 43300 was all black - I'll try to have a good look at them both in daylight in the next few days if they happen to be passing through at a time when I can get to the station.

The louvres and cowlings are black on this one and the roof from the ribs appears to be black but again it could be just dirt. I never noticed until now that the corridor ends are a different colour to the sides.

'Deltic 50' is different again with a darker colour down to the red stripe

Mike Wiltshire

post-9992-0-77723300-1311548196_thumb.jpg

post-9992-0-95815300-1311548240_thumb.jpg

post-9992-0-47806400-1311548634_thumb.jpg

Guest Illustrious37

Where was it done? Brush or Craigentinny?

It was painted at Brush, next one should be 43272!

Guest Illustrious37

So is it being MTUd or not? Lots of speculation but nobody seems to know! :D

Yes it is at Brush now, East Coast have two MTU's to put in which were purchased a while ago....

Guest Illustrious37

It was painted at Brush, next one should be 43272!

Scrub that 43308 is now in EC colours as well (appears to be an EC job). Interestingly if you look at photos of the two the purple strip doesn't appear to be at the same level.

Scrub that 43308 is now in EC colours as well (appears to be an EC job). Interestingly if you look at photos of the two the purple strip doesn't appear to be at the same level.

feel free to add pictures of 43308

Guest Illustrious37

feel free to add pictures of 43308

Not my images but found on Flickr;

43308; 43308 Knebworth 24July11 IMG_8488

43300; 43300 20110722 Langford

43300 is also missing the Black/Dark Grey triangle on the drivers side window. Didn't know that 43308 had been done as I'm on Annual Leave at the mo.

• 2 weeks later...

One of the problems with the East Coast silver/white livery on power cars is where it was painted, the PCs done at Loughborough have the consistant finish(similar to all the trailers done by Wabtec), the others with the blue tinge were done at EC and all seem to have the blue tinge. Some of these were never laquered correctly, plus the preperation allowed the old blue to bleed through when the laquer was applied.

Al taylor

One of the problems with the East Coast silver/white livery on power cars is where it was painted, the PCs done at Loughborough have the consistant finish(similar to all the trailers done by Wabtec), the others with the blue tinge were done at EC and all seem to have the blue tinge. Some of these were never laquered correctly, plus the preperation allowed the old blue to bleed through when the laquer was applied.

Al taylor

hi

can i ask if you are a professional paint sprayer?

hi

can i ask if you are a professional paint sprayer?

No, but I have seen the preperation and the paint applied at both Lougborough and EC and it can be quite easily beseen why some of the power cars have a blue sheen and the other don't. A i said it is all in the reperation.

43315 made its first outing this morning in grey with 43308 at the north end of the set.

Al Taylor

Archived