non-GER locos on the GE

BSG75

Hi all, I wonder if you can help me please?

Apart from Britannias, B1, B17, and L1, what classes of non-GER steam locomotives ran on GE metals in the run-up to dieselisation?

I believe colchester may have had some Ivatt 2mt, ipswich some austerities, and yarmouth some Ivatt 4my, but I am really not sure.

All help gratefully appreciated!

Bulleid Light Pacifics replaced Brits for a while in the early 50's when they had defects rectified (axles?).

464xx at 31A,worked to Colchester etc.

43xxx at a few places esp after the M&GN closed.

4f 0-6-0 allocated to March.

Jinties at Parkeston Quay (LTSR), Stratford, Peterborough.

J50, J52, J72, N2 scattered around.

72009 at Stratford for a month late 50's

76xxx at Stratford and scattered later. I have photo & personal evidence of Cambridge, Hunstanton.

90xxx worked the Whitemoor-Temple Mills coal trains. Also the odd 9f on occasions.

80xxx on LTSR, then scattered.

V1 in early 50's before moving North. I have personal evidence late 50's of 67666 at Cambridge in late 50's though.

2x D49 also at Cambridge late 50's, personal evidence, 62744 & one other (1 of each type of valve gear!).

GCR O4 (Bachmann), though rebuilt during 50's to other variations (boilers/cabs/tenders etc); these shared the coals with the 90xxx.

If you include Cambridge/March/Peterborough, the list grows enormously, but as this is on the edge of GE area I haven't included these extra.

Numerous WR/SR locos towed to Norwich for scrap.

Stewart

LT&SR, MR, LMS locos into Fenchurch Street - it was a Great Eastern station! Something I'm unsure of, but did any Southern locos reach Liverpool Street via the East London line beforte the links were cut at Shoreditch.

Bill

Something I'm unsure of, but did any Southern locos reach Liverpool Street via the East London line before the links were cut at Shoreditch.

Certainly, if you include the Southern constituents. The LBSCR ran services from New Cross into Liverpool St. until 1 Jan 1886.

Other interesting, but brief services:

1/4/1876 - 1/1/1886 New Croydon - Liverpool St. (LBSCR)

1/11/1876 - 1/10/1883 Brighton - Liverpool St. (LBSCR)

1/4/1880 - 3/3/1884 Addiscombe Rd. - Liverpool St. (SER)

1/11/1881 - 30/8/1882 Crystal Palace - Liverpool St. (LBSCR)

From 1/1/18866 all LBSCR trains terminated at Shoreditch and the GER ran all trains, specials (and some) Royal trains excepted, into Liverpool St.

In addition to the above, ex-GNR C12s and later, ex-NER G5s were used on the Saffron Walden Branch in the 'forties and 'fifties. The C12s were also operated in the Lowestoft area for I time, I think (without checking).

Forget that, try this from the Great Eastern Railway Society (you're a member, aren't you?):

http://www.gersociety.org.uk/images/stories/documents/4mm.pdf

Archived