Hornby Points R8072 and R8072 'M'

kintbury jon

Evening all,

I phoned up East Kent Models today to enquire about some wheels as I have found the latest Hornby wheels troublesome on Hornby points. The chap seemed surprised and asked what points I used.

I answered, "Standard R8072/R8073 Nickel Silver points."

"But how old, are they the modified ones?" came the reply.

I hadn't realised or had ever heard that in the last few years, Hornby modified their points so that the newer wheels would cross without problems and on the base are marked with an 'M' after the R8072 printing on the base.

I have checked the base of most of my points and around half of them are the older type so it looks like I may need to replace a few of them for improved running.

Was I the only one in the world that didn't know this or is it something that wasn't heavily publicised?

The pictures below show one of each type and the M on the left point.

post-1105-0-60669800-1308161270_thumb.jpg

post-1105-0-46690500-1308161307_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

In the end I went for replacing the non-modified ones on the main line. I had to buy a few (asked a chap who was selling them on ebay whether they had the 'm' on them first!) and I am now left needing one LH curved point.

Interestingly it has improved the running of my Bachmann Intermodals so i'm happy that i've replaced them. Will need to sell the other ones so i'm not too much out of pocket on them.

I probably could have made modifications to the points but felt it was simpler to just replace them.

Archived