Semaphore Home/Light Distant. Is this Common?

On Teesside we have a semaphore signal at Belasis. Billingham's distant below is an electric light, only illuminated when the semaphore home is off.

I have not seen this arrangement before. Are there others like this out there?

Thanks

Mike Wiltshire

post-9992-0-76342700-1308211550_thumb.jpg

post-9992-0-05044700-1308211552_thumb.jpg

post-9992-0-08224100-1308211620_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Not common - they were (are?) used, most often on the Southern, as approach distants for a colour light area, the semaphore arm only displays red, there is no green spectacle, and the distant illuminates when it is cleared, showing yellow or green as appropriate -as you say

Cudworth (on the Midland) used to have some.

• RMweb Gold

They were at one time a 'Requirement' at the transition from a semaphore signalled area to a colour-light signalled area hence the fact that they were fairly common on the Southern. They could also be found on the Western (e.g. Birmingham Moor St and Keyham - which were probably among the last the Western installed) and elsewhere. By 1961 the Western was definitely using motor worked semaphore distant arms in some cases (e.g Reading Main Line East) while elsewhere simply suppressing the red aspect in the reamost colour light because it was simply a stage in an ongoing scheme. I'm not sure of the current situation in Signalling Principles/ Group Standards but such signals are almost certain to be used where a semaphore reads to a colour light capable of showing a red aspect.

• RMweb Gold

This was a standard aspect transition, commonly used on the LMR in the 1960s from the mechanical boxes fringing to PSBs. For full explanation see Standard Signalling Principle 22 from 1988.

It had definitely been outlawed for new work by 2002 when Group Standard GK/RT0032, Issue 2, stated

B9.5 Transition from semaphore to colour light

At the transition from semaphore to colour light signalling, it is permissible for the distant signal preceding the first colour light stop signal to be either of the following:

a - colour light

b - power worked semaphore.

It is not permissible for the last semaphore stop signal to have a colour light lower distant on the same post.

• RMweb Premium

In 1984 Mistley up section signal had a colour light distant under it even though the next box, which I think was Manningtree, still had semaphores.

Paul J.

Sorry Paul but that is a little bit wrong. As the signal in question was commissioned in 1981 as I was one of the "box lads" at "Manningtree" right up until the time a miniature panel was in stalled and colour light signals replaced those wonderful semaphores.

The signal was "Mistley" up starter unfortunately I do not have a photograph of the said signal.

The signal box was closed and control of the area was taken over by the new Power box at "Colchester" when the line was electrified in 1984.

sigh :happy_mini: Happy Days. :yes: Terry

Trainshed Terry wrote

The signal was "Mistley" up starter unfortunately I do not have a photograph of the said signal.

Here's said signal I believe.

post-7146-0-43922900-1308691079_thumb.jpg

This was taken from a 31 working a Liverpool St - Harwich boat train at the end of April 1984. This was the last week of brake handling on my MP12 course and I was determined to get a shot of the signal. I could't do it on the way back as I was due to drive back to Liverpool St. At that time the powers that be decided that we would be taught a new way of designating signals on AB lines. The last signal controlled from a box was designated as the Section signal with all the stop signals on the approach to it being designated Home 1, Home 2, Home 3 etc, depending on the number of signals, the same being repeated for the opposite direction signals. My memory fails me as to the signalling set up at Manningtree, (I thought it still had semaphores) but as this was the time of major alteration for electrification, the base for a mast or new signal can be seen just in front of the old one, it was sometimes difficult to keep track of the changes.

And yes they where Happy Days :D Terry.

Paul J.

• 7 months later...
  • RMweb Premium
Trainshed Terry wrote Here's said signal I believe. post-7146-0-43922900-1308691079_thumb.jpg This was taken from a 31 working a Liverpool St - Harwich boat train at the end of April 1984. This was the last week of brake handling on my MP12 course and I was determined to get a shot of the signal. I could't do it on the way back as I was due to drive back to Liverpool St. At that time the powers that be decided that we would be taught a new way of designating signals on AB lines. The last signal controlled from a box was designated as the Section signal with all the stop signals on the approach to it being designated Home 1, Home 2, Home 3 etc, depending on the number of signals, the same being repeated for the opposite direction signals. My memory fails me as to the signalling set up at Manningtree, (I thought it still had semaphores) but as this was the time of major alteration for electrification, the base for a mast or new signal can be seen just in front of the old one, it was sometimes difficult to keep track of the changes. And yes they where Happy Days :D Terry. Paul J.

That the one Paul.

Happier times and proper railways.

Great Picture.

Terry

Archived